Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mom who glued child’s hand to wall gets 99 years.

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

They should have given her 199 years, people like that have no place in society.

Then you read post like "oh she had a difficult life", sorry but that's just bollocks, lot's of people have had a tough time of it but they don't beat up a kid and glue her hand to a wall.

Throw away the key and forget about this waste of space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

Einhard I was the poster who suggested I would LOVE to see her glued to a wall and beaten black and blue, but in the same breath, I posted that I know it'd do fcukall. So I wouldn't in all reality ACTUALLY do it.

I took the head off URL early in the thread because I was disgusted at jokes being made about it, but then later in the thread I said to myself ok I don't usually post personal histories to make my argument, but in this case I'll make an exception by way of explaining why I thought about the situation the way I did. I posted my experience by way of saying that if a person experienced violence as a child, the LAST thing they would ever want is to see that violence inflicted on another human being.

There were many, numerous times I thought about wanting my father to pay for what he did to me, I used go over it in my head how I would plan to inflict torture on him and make him feel just what I felt. It took me a while (decades actually), to realise that my energy was wasted thinking such things, I couldn't undo what was in the past, and when I questioned my mother about why she never intervened to stop it (this was ten years later), she feigned no knowledge of the beatings and told me I must have imagined it.

I decided then that there was no point in asking my father why he did it either, I come from a family of five brothers and one sister, but I was the only one was ever beaten, so as a child I used wonder was I even his son? Did I not live up to his expectations? Where the hell did I go wrong? I put it down to me constantly wetting the bed on a nightly basis so that was probably frustrating for him because as hard as he used beat me, I tried my hardest to stay awake and not wet the bed. I could be awake at half 5 in the morning and suddenly at 6 o clock I was being pulled out of the bed by my arm and beaten all over my body (never the face though, and I only figured out later why!). In the half hour I had fallen asleep, I had wet the bed. But there were mornings I went to school and I couldn't even hold a pencil because I couldn't close my hand to grip it, I had used my right hand to defend myself and the impact of the boss of the hurl was still stinging my hand, so I taught myself to write with my left hand to get around that one. I wasn't naturally ambidextrous so it took me a couple of months to train myself to a point where the only way you could tell the difference in my handwriting was when I wrote with my left hand, the writing leaned slightly back, if that makes sense?

Slightly straying off the point there, but I decided that there was no point in asking my father "why?", because I knew the indignant and self-righteous man he was, he would only pause for a minute, then go back to reading his paper, and pretend I never said anything. This was his method of dealing with any time he was ever questioned on anything, I used help him in his engineering business and we'd be arguing over lathe measurements or object dimensions required for something and he'd sigh and ignore me, carry on with what he was doing. This is why I thought to myself there was no point in questioning him, I'd only be dismissed, and it's one thing not getting the answers you're looking for. It's even worse when you don't get any answer at all. I decided then I had to let it go, that retribution would solve nothing, because in order for retribution to be effective, the intended person has to be able to acknowledge that what they did was wrong. They have to care about what they did. I knew my parents clearly didn't care about what they did, or wanted to pretend it never happened. As far as my father would be concerned, he was right, and he was in the right, and you don't question him because who do you think you are questioning him or what right have you to question him. He was in every sense of the word one of the most arrogant people I have ever come across. Just one example to bear this out- he had a hip replacement op done and was told not to drive for six months. He walked out into the hospital car park, hopped in his merc and drove out the gates. He thankfully didn't get very far before he wrapped the car around a lamp post or a telegraph pole, I can't remember which. He walked away from it unscathed but at least he was inadvertently stopped before he crashed into and might have killed somebody else.

I don't bother with labels like psychopath or "evil" etc. I just believe that some people never mature enough to think beyond themselves, my father was one, and the woman in the OP is one, and that's why I said that as much as I'd love to make her see how the child felt by inflicting the same treatment upon her, I don't think it'd be very effective because she wouldn't be thinking about what she did to the child, she'd only be thinking about what was being done to her.

My father died about eight years ago and I'm 35 now myself, he was never punished for his actions and never had to think about what he did, but I still have to live with it and the consequences of his actions, as will this woman's child, and I'm pretty certain the mental torture of what the woman in the OP did, will stay with the child a hell of a lot longer than this woman's 99 year prison sentence. What she did was inflict a LIFE sentence upon the child. So even to those that say 15 years would have been more reasonable and appropriate to the crime, I still live with insomnia and fear and nightmares and re-living each and every blow, 20 years later, while that fùcker rests in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    23 years old, former gang member, mother of 5, marijuana at age 11, bet up her 2 year old child and left her in a coma
    Hmmm..I do believe it was right to lock her away for life but "99 years in prison" is taunting

And they put all of her children in the care of the woman who raised her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

99 years in prison is excessive, think of the excessive waste of resources to keep her there, a simple walk into the woods and a single shot to the Medulla oblongata would have sufficed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I would guess if the exact same circumstances were to happen in Ireland the woman in question would not even receive a custodial sentence.
    There are many situations in our recent history as bad and worse than this that noone has been convicted.
    While 99 years is a ludicrous sentence for any crime we should look at our own sentencing for what it is, Far too lenient and anti victim

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭GaughMan

Serves her right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Dangerous Man, not wanting the state to torture is not the same as saying "They'd a hard life, let them off" - that fallacious soundbite is resorted to too often.
    I'm very glad the state can't torture (not that it'd bother me if ordinary folks gave her a hiding) but it doesn't mean I don't want criminals like this to get very lengthy jail sentences in maximum security facilities.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Just to contrast, this man got ten years for leaving his new born daughter brain damaged, blind, deaf, and with two broken legs. The 'so called' mother who left the child in agony for a week got two years. That's British justice.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2216920/Polish-thug-left-girl-brain-damage-fracturing-skull-breaking-legs-jailed-years.html

What this women did to her child is absolutely horrible, which goes without saying, and it also goes without saying that she deserves incarceration — and a long spell in prison, at that. I've thought about this a lot and I simply cannot reconcile the punishment with the crime. I have nieces and nephews who are toddlers, and if someone did to one of them what this woman did to her own child I would, at an emotional and irrational level, at a level I could not reason my way out of, wish her, at the very least, to spend the rest of her life in prison; on such a level I would find a 99 year sentence to be just. But then, justice should not be based solely upon such notions — revenge and emotional responses. Beyond my own knee-jerk, emotional, irrational reactions, I cannot reason why such a crime is deserving of what is, essentially, an eternity in prison — she'll spend her life, and her own life is all the time she'll ever know, behind bars. 20 years in prison? Yes, I find that reasonable; 30 years? Perhaps; 99 years? No, I can't — I simply cannot reconcile this sentence with the crime; however horrible the crime is.

Call me cold or call me callous, call me what you will, but, in my view, the punishment far exceeds the crime. And before somebody misinterprets what I'm saying, I'm not attempting to mitigate the severity, the tragedy, or the atrociousness of the crime, but I am trying to fathom why such a punishment is suited to such a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭BASHIR

Great sentence, gives her children the right to a hopefully normal life now. Death penalty would be too good for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Lots of good posts in here, but this pi55es me off too much for me to make up my mind on any of them.

She should definitely be in a mental institution. But regardless of the outcome there, she should not be allowed near those children again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Pfft. Big deal. My brother duct taped me to a wall when I was 3 and you don't hear me whinging about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

WindSock wrote: »
    Pfft. Big deal. My brother duct taped me to a wall when I was 3 and you don't hear me whinging about it.

Probably because he'd the good sense to duct tape your mouth while he was at it. Only a pity he isn't there now to duct tape your hands and keep you from posting inflammatory trollbait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭0066ad

While you were duct taped to the wall, did he beat so hard you ended up
    on a life support machine?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Did he duct tape you into a coma? With broken ribs?
    Didn't think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

Any one that does that to a helpless child A Big Rope is the only Answer End of!.. No pity for her what so ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

99 years does seem a bit excessive, hard to say what suitable sentence would be though... a decade or two

other end of the scale, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_L%C3%B3pez_(serial_killer) 100+ kids, released after 18 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Oops, didnt read the thread. Just the title. Apologies for offence if its taken personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

benwavner wrote: »
    Ah America, God bless you and your people.

Do you just read "America" and then spew your sarcastic hatred over the keyboard. Not the first time.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80617404&postcount=3

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80626130&postcount=117

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61750927&postcount=27

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭TheBoss!

Probably because he'd the good sense to duct tape your mouth while he was at it. Only a pity he isn't there now to duct tape your hands and keep you from posting inflammatory trollbait.

And the sanctimonious post of the day goes to..

..it's After Hours, people tend to post with the intention of humour sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

Its crimes like this that make me rethink, do all people have a right to life?

More often than not, the answer is no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

your a moderator!!??!............do mods get banned?i dont think you should be allowed on this website again not to mind being a ****ing moderator after that comment.

and 99 years is just fine as some one said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

crazygeryy wrote: »

your a moderator!!??!............do mods get banned?i dont think you should be allowed on this website again not to mind being a ****ing moderator after that comment.

In fairness he/she posted an apology further along in the tread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Squ wrote: »
    crazygeryy wrote: »

In fairness he/she posted an apology further along in the tread

yea a piss poor one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I think the point should be - More prison time for murderers / rapists in Ireland maybe?! What is it 7 years or less for rape these days?

thats if you even get jailed as some judges seem to think crime no a days is innocent, or maybe the victim was aksing for it or some stupid other comment our mensa class judges would say.

I could murder someone in the morning, have knife in hand and be caught in the act and i would still only get manslaughter. Even if i had to drag the weapon from home, i can still argue that it was not my intention to kill.

The judge may be a bit excessive in this ladys case, but in all fairness she is not a pillar of virtue and she beat a small child. i would have broken her hands in custody. i think all people who harm children should have very serious and very physical punishments.
    I was just also think of your man anders brevik, the weird ****ing norweigan lad, didnt he only get soemthing like life in prison for killing 70+ people, Really the crime and punishment need to be severe for people who show a lack of the qualities it takes to be human and put down.

• Advertisement
Advertisement