Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the correct way to structure business answers?

• 12-10-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Well lads
    Ive had 4 Business teachers in 5th year which have all told us different ways to structure our questions.

The one we had the longest towards the end of the year made us write out a page and a half for a HL Long Question and 3/4ths of a page for a Short Question. In which most of the time i would start waffling and sometimes go off topic if i stated a situation the topic may happen in but yet i would get high marks off her cause it was all about the length of the answer and the amount of points i could put in.Such that if i wrote a page and a half and my friend wrote just a page with the exact same points i would mark higher than him.

The teacher we have in 6th year now corrected our summer tests and i got way less than i was expecting, Was just about lucky to pass. This teacher wants us to write 3/4 key points For a HL Long Question. State explain and give an example, but in total these are only like 1/2 a page to 3/4ths of a page for a long question and a short question is like 1/3rd of a page in length.

But is this right or am i supposed to write more and write paragraphs of stuff or just give key points and expand on them?

How are you guys structuring your questions because im really confused on how to structure them properly. How do the examiners want the answers structured like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭kodoherty93

Ok if the question is state and explain barriers to effective communication (20 marks)

The first thing is a intro line:
    There are many barriers to questions such the following.

Than list 4 points each one must have a solid points (state), explain and example. The answer is not length related at all. Take the marks and divide by 5 eg 30 marks equals 6 points.

Fcuk what your teacher says I got an A1 this way

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

My business teacher gives a perfect guideline for structuring questions and its the key to getting an A1

you HAVE to have a clear heading first
    then bullet points:
    1) explain
    2) advantage/disadvantage/more explaining
    3)example

AND ALWAYS START A NEW QUESTION ON THE NEXT PAGE.

I've been following this method for ages now and its working great.

p.s. each bullet point has to be around 2/3 sentences

hope that helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭rugrats

You have to look at the amount of marks that are going for a question...

For long questions there's usually 20 or 25 marks going for questions. For 20, you'd need four relevant points and for 25 you'd need five. You need to write answers in a structured way.... i.e. they will not ever accept waffle.
    First you state, then you explain, and if possible, give an example.

Usually one point goes for about 5 marks. Keep thinking of that. In a 15 marker, you'd need three points suitably expanded and for 10 you'd need two...etc.

State, name and list just require you to give a one word answer.

If a question asks you to outline or explain a certain topic, it wants you to explain it - by giving the explanation and another relevant piece of info about it (e.g. a characteristic, and example or an advantage, etc.).

If the question wants you to illustrate you must explain the topic and then give a relevant example of the topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭GaughMan

My business teacher gives a perfect guideline for structuring questions and its the key to getting an A1

you HAVE to have a clear heading first
    then bullet points:
    1) explain
    2) advantage/disadvantage/more explaining
    3)example

AND ALWAYS START A NEW QUESTION ON THE NEXT PAGE.

I've been following this method for ages now and its working great.

p.s. each bullet point has to be around 2/3 sentences

hope that helps :)

My teacher told us the very same thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭little sis...

GaughMan wrote: »
    My teacher told us the very same thing!

hmm.... i wonder if we have the same teacher....:cool:
    that would be weird....

• Advertisement
Advertisement