Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What network does the best deal for an S3

Options
  • 12-10-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at moving from my beloved iPhone 4 to the S3. The iPhone 5 simply doesn't cut it for me.

I was just wondering what network would you all recommend to go with for the best deal? I text alot and obviously with any smart phone I use quiet alot of data.

I'm currently on three's €20 deal but am looking at going to bill pay, just to get the phone a little cheaper!

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Think Three are offering it free on a 24 month contract..

.. best deal AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Three's deal is E49 on a E40 p/m 24 month contract. Just signed up today :) Unlimited data, dunno about talk/text though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Reiss Avfc wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at moving from my beloved iPhone 4 to the S3. The iPhone 5 simply doesn't cut it for me.

I was just wondering what network would you all recommend to go with for the best deal? I text alot and obviously with any smart phone I use quiet alot of data.

I'm currently on three's €20 deal but am looking at going to bill pay, just to get the phone a little cheaper!

Thanks.
    I switched from vf to 3 last June. I'm on a 42/month tariff for 18.months. The phone cost 199, but that's a long time ago in phone terms, so it's probably cheaper now.

I find 3 to be pretty good. I've had no major issues with customer service, and coverage seems as good if not better than vf where I live. The main reason for the switch was the huge data allowance compared to vf and O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

I think its funny how people are so convinced they save money on a bill.

€20 a month spend as of now.

€49 a month for same on bill assuming free phone and 24 month contract

That's €29 extra monthly x 24 months = €696 for the phone.

Phone can be bought with o2 for €480 I believe and can be gotten on ebay for around the same, factory unlocked and with a guarantee.

I know the money up front may be a problem but in that situation thats a hell of a llot interest on a small loan to give to a mobile operator.

Sorry if slightly off topic but just making sure you are aware of the options.

You're paying under €10 a month then for minutes, texts, data etc.

You don't get that with sim-free phones and depending on usage - see how long a tenner will last you with a PAYG sim.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »

You don't get that with sim-free phones and depending on usage - see how long a tenner will last you with a PAYG sim.

€20 a month is what I stated.

Meteor sim pay plan is €20. 1 gig of internet, free any network texts, free meteor calls and 200 anytime minutes to landline or mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Meteor sim pay plan is €20. 1 gig of internet, free any network texts, free meteor calls and 200 anytime minutes to landline or mobile.

I tried 3 payg on my iPhone before I went on billpay with them for the S3. It was 20 a month on paper, but I was going over the talk time allowance, so I would have been spending 30 a month easily on payg.

I see what you mean about the phone being dearer over 2 years on billpay, but for me it's not, as the payg always needed an extra top up every month, whereas the 42 I'm paying each month now covers everything and it's an 18.months contract. So I reckon the phone is costing me about 12 a month over what payg would cost. That's 218 over 18 months. Far less than buying upfront and paying 30 a month on payg. In my case anyway. Plus, 3 gave me 230 trade in on iphone 4, so I got the S3 and 30quid cash back from the shop.

Yes.. but you're paying just over a tenner a month extra on that 24 month contract for the S3 for all those calls and texts.

You don't need to convince me.. I'm a PAYG user but can see the benefit in the bill - even over a longer term.

I tried 3 payg on my iPhone before I went on billpay with them for the S3. It was 20 a month on paper, but I was going over the talk time allowance, so I would have been spending 30 a month easily on payg.

I see what you mean about the phone being dearer over 2 years on billpay, but for me it's not, as the payg always needed an extra top up every month, whereas the 42 I'm paying each month now covers everything and it's an 18.months contract. So I reckon the phone is costing me about 12 a month over what payg would cost. That's 218 over 18 months. Far less than buying upfront and paying 30 a month on payg. In my case anyway. Plus, 3 gave me 230 trade in on iphone 4, so I got the S3 and 30quid cash back from the shop.

Ah ya in that case obvioulsy it works out better for you. People in general are just to quick to jump for a "free" phone on bill pay, when in reality they are costing themselves a fortune extra.
    Yes.. but you're paying just over a tenner a month extra on that 24 month contract for the S3 for all those calls and texts.

You don't need to convince me.. I'm a PAYG user but can see the benefit in the bill - even over a longer term.

I'm not sure what you mean about the tenner bit, where is that coming from?

If i'm paying 20 and change to 49 a month, that's 29 extra a month. I'm using the dearest tariff as a guide as we are also talking about the dearest phone or one of them.

I am actually a bill pay customer but signed up to a 30 day rolling sim only contract. So no phone.

Actually even in that case you are paying €418 for the phone anyway, obviously still a saving for you personally.

• Advertisement
Advertisement