Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse head shaking.

Options
  • 12-10-2012 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a 4yr old mare on loan and worried about her head shaking. She drops her head a bit and shakes it from side to side. Her owners told me she had some wolf teeth removed a couple of months ago. Could she still be uncomfortable from that?

She only seems to do it if there are flies around - she really hates them or when I let her on a loose rein out hacking or after a schooling session.

She doesn't shake her head when she's concentrating/riding forward or when I take a contact so this makes me think it's not teeth related.

Could it just be a habit?

Her ears look clean and can't see any mites etc.

Back seems fine, no other signs that the saddle might be uncomfortable etc.

Any advice or similar stories welcome.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭namoosh

Heydeldel wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have a 4yr old mare on loan and worried about her head shaking. She drops her head a bit and shakes it from side to side. Her owners told me she had some wolf teeth removed a couple of months ago. Could she still be uncomfortable from that?

She only seems to do it if there are flies around - she really hates them or when I let her on a loose rein out hacking or after a schooling session.

She doesn't shake her head when she's concentrating/riding forward or when I take a contact so this makes me think it's not teeth related.

Could it just be a habit?

Her ears look clean and can't see any mites etc.

Back seems fine, no other signs that the saddle might be uncomfortable etc.

Any advice or similar stories welcome.

Cheers :)

I'd say its a habit, if she was broken with the wolf teeth which seems likely as she is only 4 she will remember the pain and shake her head. If, when you have her full attention, she does not head shake then it is not pain related. I'd persist with her and with luck she'll forget and the head shaking will go away. This might take up to 2 years it might never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I would have her teeth rechecked, her back checked, her eyes, her tack fitted, allergies to flies and when you've gone through all the possiblities, then you can put it down to habit which work and a light hand will sort out.

Advertisement