Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Smell

Options
  • 13-10-2012 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me out. Ive lived in the park for the last 5 years and in the past when I was away for a day or longer Id come back to a horrible smell in the kitchen area. The culprit seems to be the pipes under the kitchen sink. Lately its go worse. On a couple of occasions there has been a strong smell of white spirits? The smell today was so strong that Im worried that breathing it in may be damaging to my health. Its a strange one alright. Has anyone else experienced this or know whats caused it?

Also is it the management companies responsibility to sort this?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Decks79 wrote: »
    Hi, wondering if anyone can help me out. Ive lived in the park for the last 5 years and in the past when I was away for a day or longer Id come back to a horrible smell in the kitchen area. The culprit seems to be the pipes under the kitchen sink. Lately its go worse. On a couple of occasions there has been a strong smell of white spirits? The smell today was so strong that Im worried that breathing it in may be damaging to my health. Its a strange one alright. Has anyone else experienced this or know whats caused it?

Also is it the management companies responsibility to sort this?

Thanks.

Possibly combination of waste build up in drainage pipe - get packet of waging soda crystals (Dunnes/Tesco etc) and mix to recommended strength and pour down kitchen sink outlet - will break down organic mater etc and reduce small a in pipework - also non harmful to organic biologocal processes. Works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Or they have drain unblocked stuff in a silver bottle in superquinn

That'll clean out your pipes

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭tp25

or tell all little ones to stop putting plastics into the holes at the street drainages... the place is blocked by these...

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭the Lamb Post

I had a strange smell a few months back coming from below the kitchen sink (2 bed terrace house). Like yourself it only came along when the drains were inactive for a while, but the smell was coming into our house after just about 3 or 4 hours.

I cut a hole in partition wall behind the sink with the belief all i had to do was replace a possible failed seal on the drainage pipes entering the ground below the sink. Did all this to no avail, smell was still there.

After a few discussions with a Building Contractor, I was advised to check the Soil Vent Pipe in the attic. In the 2 beds, the vent pipes are all in the attic connected to a roof tile vent via a flexible coil pipe. In a period of high winds the wind had blown the pipe clean off the connection in the attic and the pipe was hanging freely. With the pipe hanging freely, a liquid had collected on a bend in the pipe and had stopped all gases from venting. It was these gases that were coming up in the kitchen.

Once I reconnected the pipe to the vent in the roof, the smell went and hasn't returned since.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement