Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorola Xoom or Samsung tab 2 10.1

Options
  • 13-10-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I need help deciding, Im not sure what one to get.

The xoom has so much features but its a bit bulky and heavier than most tablets while the tab 2 is slim and light but lacks most of the features on motorola?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭biebiebie

Sd cards don't work on the Xooms afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭plhealy2000

I'd say hold off. rumours of a new 10 inch tablet by Samsung and Google coming soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jonasjones

harmo08 wrote: »

The xoom has so much features but its a bit bulky and heavier than most tablets while the tab 2 is slim and light but lacks most of the features on motorola?

Neither, get the nexus. I own a xoom and can tell you that a) SD cards do work just fine and b) it is big and bulky. I'd rather go with a nexus device that will get updates quickly (i got a 3g/4g xoom and it hasn't got an update in *ages* even though the wifi version has) rather than wait ages. Also, the xoom is already out-dated. It is also a bit bulky for my liking...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

I have a Xoom as well and I have no problems with it. It might be a little heavier than an iPad but they are still so light it doesn't really make any difference. The Xoom has far and away the best feature set of any tablet for the price it's at. The marketing and support for the tablet is a disgrace though and the main reason why it never sold well, I ended up getting mine for €299 brand new last year!

I have the WiFi version and it has been upgraded to ICS although I did have to wait a long time for it but to be honest the difference between ICS and the previous version is minimal as far as I can see.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What features of the Xoom are lacking on the Samsung? Is it a Xoom or Xoom 2 or the Media Edition you're looking at? Personally I can find little to recommend the Motorola devices.

• Advertisement

jonasjones wrote: »

Neither, get the nexus.

That really depends on what the op wants. The Nexus certainly isn't the holy grail some people seem to believe it is. It's a great gaming tablet and good for viewing movies on the tablet itself. However it's shortcomings are no sd card (preventing memory expansion) and no hdmi out for playing games, browsing and movies on the tv.

Really the best thing about the Nexus tablet will be its Android updates for its first 2 years of its life.

A better alternative to the Nexus might be the new Acer Iconia A110. Quad core 7" but also sporting an sd card slot and hdmi out.

Also many prefer something bigger than a 7", indeed the two tabs the op asked about are 10".

For me I'd choose the Samsung Tab. It's much nicer to hold and is far superior in the looks department imho. Finally theres two years warranty with the Samsung which can be an important aspect to consider.

Newer tablets will obviously be superior but will carry a price premium compared to the older (discounted) models.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

If you can get the Xoom cheap I'd go for it. I have a 32Gb WiFi Xoom nearly a year and a half now and still use it constantly. I haven't seen anything that makes me want to sell it and upgrade. If there was a Nexus 10" maybe that'd be worth it. I'm not interested in 7" though. I look at too many A4 pages on my device. 7" is too small for that.

If I was paying lots of money now though (>€300) I'd be looking for a more powerful tablet. The Xoom is old in terms of tablets.
    If you do get a Xoom flash it with the US official build and it'll update to JellyBean for you.

As for the big and bulky marketing, dont worry about that. Most of the time when I'm using any tablet its on my lap or propped up (when in bed). And it's still not that heavy. I usually make my devices even more bulky by putting on some cover or protection on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 harmo08

Thanks for all that input.

I intended on using it to read A4 page style text books and the price right now is about 220 euros.
    I avoided the nexus 7 mainly because of the 7" inch, im looking for a 10" tablet.

The samsung tab 2 doesnt have as good a camera as the xoom 1, flash aswell (though i don't intend on taking alot of pictures with it). It also doesn't have hdmi port and other stuff like that.

***I don't mind that the xoom 1 is old, i was only concerned about the weight, it seems to be the heaviest out there. !!!

The galaxy tab 2 was only appealing because it was thin and light but it costs 370 euros right now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jonasjones

Thanks for all that input.

I intended on using it to read A4 page style text books and the price right now is about 220 euros.
    I avoided the nexus 7 mainly because of the 7" inch, im looking for a 10" tablet.

The samsung tab 2 doesnt have as good a camera as the xoom 1, flash aswell (though i don't intend on taking alot of pictures with it). It also doesn't have hdmi port and other stuff like that.

***I don't mind that the xoom 1 is old, i was only concerned about the weight, it seems to be the heaviest out there. !!!

The galaxy tab 2 was only appealing because it was thin and light but it costs 370 euros right now :(

Fair enough! I guess with the weight it comes down to what you will primarily use the device for. I use mine to read books (technical books that need the screen real estate) and it gets a bit heavy in the hand. Saying that, I recently bought a (BookGem) book holder and it props it up so it really no longer bothers me. While it is a year old, it is still plenty fast for my needs and I really like the OS (compared to iOS on the iPad). You can probably find a lot of accessories going cheap on eBay too...

Actually Samsung are offering €50 cash back on that tablet this month. So say on powercity.ie its €359.95 less the cash back giving a nett price of €309.95.

• Advertisement
Advertisement