Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo Locations/Subjects - What's on your bucket list?

• 13-10-2012 12:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

So I was discussing this with a group today about a list of places/subjects both in Ireland and abroad which I would love to photograph at some stage. Realistic ones like Kylemore Abbey, Giant's Causeway and a few other Irish ones.

Then loads of ones further afield like an elevated shot of Las Vegas Strip, the Cloud Gate sculpture in Chicago, some desert shots in Nevada, Hoover Dam, the Colosseum in Rome at "the golden hour", some of the Buddhist Temples in Tokyo and loads more

So I'm curious to know, what's on your bucket list? :)

Regards,
    Ronan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

- rome
    - toronto skyline in the morning.. i've got the evening
    - paris
    - southern BC
    - saskatchewan
    - the aurora from whitehorse, YK
    - NYC .. i want to photograph the **** out of that place!
    - miami

and of course, in ireland.. i'd like to do giant's causeway -- never been there.

i would like to re-visit some of the places i've been to before. i did most of my traveling when i was young, and un-married. unfortunately, i had a POS camera back then.

would like to do the beara penninsula again, wicklow mountains, galway..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

I forgot the aurora, that was whst poked me into thinking about this :-)

ronanc15 wrote: »
    I forgot the aurora, that was whst poked me into thinking about this :-)

expensive trips :( the aurora is one that nears the top of my list! the other night was exciting and all, but i want to see it properly with all those fantastic vibrant colours

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭opti76

aurora borealis

canyons in the grandcanyon

aztec engravings

interior of newgrange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

The problem with these 'exotic' photo locations i think is that people go with these pre-conceived notions in mind of what they ought to take photographs of, having seen reams of shots from them before hand, and then proceed to take exactly the same pictures as everyone else. I don't think I'd ever travel somewhere with the intention of taking photographs. Case in point those slot canyon shots that 2 (or 3 ?) people have uploaded to the random shots threads over the last few weeks. Technically excellent I'm sure, but my eyes just glaze over when I see them. I've seen them all thousands of times before.
    I'd travel first and foremost for the sake of travel, probably document it to the best of my ability, and feel pleased about whatever good shots came out of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

While I have no exact locations in mind, I would absolutely love to explore Iceland and Yosemite with my camera. A few weeks in either and I would be rather happy.

Also would love to get a few really good astro shots. Milky way perhaps.

i wouldn't go anywhere specifically for the sole purpose of taking photographs. luckily they are all places i like going to, or want to go to see anyway :D

Definitely a danger of falling into the trap of the same old photos but as long as you're conscious of that it should be easy enough to avoid.

As JB mentioned I don't think I would travel abroad just to take photos for something unless it was something class like a Formula Drift event (dream on buddy).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Haiko Ruins on Hashima Island, Japan.

Chernobyl Nuclear Plant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Doing one of mine at the moment - Monument Valley, Horsehoe Bend, grand canyon, etc. Just arrived in Phoenix yesterday and heading up that area tomorrow. So looking forward to it.

Also, plan to photograph the stars/Milkyway, and with a bit of luck, the Orionid meteor shower next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

expensive trips :( the aurora is one that nears the top of my list! the other night was exciting and all, but i want to see it properly with all those fantastic vibrant colours

My aurora trip to Abisko Sweden was well worth it imo ! , 250 return flights and 250 for 4 nights accomadation ( 6 of us in a 5 man cabin )
    Then 180 on things there... loved every minute of it. :)
    Might be going again next Feb.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41948286@N02/sets/72157629066551505/

For me i would love to go to Miami or somewhere with an active volcano , would LOVE to do a distant timelapse view of some sort :)

Also more milky way shots with nice composition i would love.

I want to try get up the mountains this winter if there a nice bit of snow and ice ... Sallys gap wth a morning fog :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

The Grand Canyon is high on my list

I wouldn't mind going back to Dublin and Barcelona, have learnt new ideas and techniques since my last visit to both cities

Haiko Ruins on Hashima Island, Japan.

Chernobyl Nuclear Plant

Would LOVE to explore that Island in Japan. That looks amazing, great read to that blog post. You are loving the urbex :D On the other hand Chernobyl doesn't appeal to me. Reminded me that concentration camps are on my list though!
    Paulw wrote: »
    Doing one of mine at the moment - Monument Valley, Horsehoe Bend, grand canyon, etc. Just arrived in Phoenix yesterday and heading up that area tomorrow. So looking forward to it.

Also, plan to photograph the stars/Milkyway, and with a bit of luck, the Orionid meteor shower next weekend.

Will do a bit of the grand canyon myself in February, will be over that neck of the woods!

@Iancar it looks like he had an amazing view of the aurora!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

have a tonne of places on the list ... off the top of my head:

- A temple in cambodia (cant remember the name of it but its deep in jungle),
    - In Austria there is a park that goes underwater when the mountain ice melts,
    - the giant stone heads on Easter Island,
    - the Galapogos Islands,
    - Bora Bora
    - Igazu Falls
    - Great whites breaching in South Africa (have a rough idea to do this around march/april 2014)
    - go diving with sharks (again) and manta rays and if possible whale sharks or other whales.

have done loads of places already .... Hawaii (been 20feet from flowing lava), Vegas (including Grand Canyon), Thailand - loads of temples and would recommend anyone to visit for Songkran (thai new year), New York - brilliant all year around..... have been to Yosemite and lots of California.

PCPhoto wrote: »

- In Austria there is a park that goes underwater when the mountain ice melts,
    - the giant stone heads on Easter Island,
    - the Galapogos Islands,
    - Bora Bora
    - Igazu Falls
    - Great whites breaching in South Africa (have a rough idea to do this around march/april 2014)
    - go diving with sharks (again) and manta rays and if possible whale sharks or other whales.

have done loads of places already .... Hawaii (been 20feet from flowing lava), Vegas (including Grand Canyon), Thailand - loads of temples and would recommend anyone to visit for Songkran (thai new year), New York - brilliant all year around..... have been to Yosemite and lots of California.

Very interesting list Paddy! The park in Austria, is that pristine alpine park?

P.s. good to see you back on here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

A sunrise shoot on a dry Spring morning in the Japanese Gardens in Kildare when everything is in blossom.*
    And some other places. :)

*Someday they might answer my emails and let me in early.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

The problem with these 'exotic' photo locations i think is that people go with these pre-conceived notions in mind of what they ought to take photographs of, having seen reams of shots from them before hand, and then proceed to take exactly the same pictures as everyone else. I don't think I'd ever travel somewhere with the intention of taking photographs. Case in point those slot canyon shots that 2 (or 3 ?) people have uploaded to the random shots threads over the last few weeks. Technically excellent I'm sure, but my eyes just glaze over when I see them. I've seen them all thousands of times before.
    I'd travel first and foremost for the sake of travel, probably document it to the best of my ability, and feel pleased about whatever good shots came out of it.
    +1 - if you travel for the purposes of shooting the locations, you end up in danger of running into what was being discussed in the thread about documenting life while failing to enjoy it.
    i've never really managed to take shots on holidays which would match what a local amateur, with local knowledge and plenty of time would regularly shoot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,256 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

PCPhoto wrote: »

i assume you're talking about angkor wat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

Ireland: Autumn shots in the morning with mists over water. love that kind of stuff. anywhere around west cork esp bantry similarly Clew bay with all those islands look fantastic in Photos.
    Skellig Micheal I really want to find out how many puffins i can get into a shot and have them in focus.
    Also would love to do something on nightlife either in dublin or a large to medium sized irish town, proper fights close ups of angry faces, it would require a fairly discreet camera that could handle low light (read expensive).

abroad: new york of course. Iceland and mongolia, Toronto I was there in may got a lovely image of the skyline never transferred it to the computer and lost it !!! ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭nucker

There are other places in the UK that have been done to death, but I still want to do, like Cheddar Gorge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

A lot of the places on peoples' lists here are places I'd love to see and explore but the camera makes me miss a lot of the good stuff. Bored to death with urban decay photos like the Japanese place and Pripyat and abandoned power stations though. The photographs are more like trophies I think.

I'm more interested in photographing things that other people have never seen or can't see because they'd never look at them in a specific way or just won't ever have the opportunity (I know that includes most of the tourist places too but you can see them by googling). I like taking the normal rules of composition and throwing them away or taking your camera to a view-point that people would never look from and showing them an angle on the world they'd never usually encounter but you can do that anywhere. I know, it's terribly humdrum "look at me I'm bored with the rule of thirds so now I'm edgy" stuff.

I wish I could go back in time and photograph the troubles up north when I was growing up there. Even just everyday life there because it was completely alien when compared to everywhere I've lived since. Eamon Melaugh has a great set from back then actually - http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/melaugh/gallery.htm

Tl:dr; Back in time to view things that can no longer be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

i assume you're talking about angkor wat?

I spent three days in Siem Reap in August and it was amazing. Most people make the mistake of thinking that the only temple is Angkor Wat. Infact there are many many more temples and other complexes. Angkor is the most popular which means it is the busiest and most renovated. In fact I found it to be a massive anti-climax with tens of thousands of photographers there at sunrise to capture "the moment". At the same time the rest of the complexes were totally deserted.

The best temples were actually Ta Prohm and Bayon. Ta Prom is the one in Tomb Raider and has massive trees growing up through it. Bayon is the temple with gigantic faces on towers. In total there are 216 of these faces.

I took so many shots that I am still going through them now.

Advertisement