Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Galway City & County Records pre-1864

• 13-10-2012 10:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi what records can I get for Galway city and county pre-1864? I worked in a Genealogy office in Galway for a while and found records usually go back around 1864. There has to be ones that go back further.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

For details before the start of full civil records in 1864 you need to check parish records. The dates available depend on the parish in question. You also need to confirm the denomination of the family. Assuming RC See :

West Co. Galway RC Parishes (Irish Times/John Grenham)

East Co. Galway RC Parishes

Some civil records started in 1845 - but just non-Catholic marriages.

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

The Griffith's Valuation for Galway (1855).

See link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

Thank you. I know about Griffith's valuation it is Galway West I am looking for. I know there are various records found pre-1864 but would like to know of births, marriges, and deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Then you need parish records. These record baptisms and marriages, and sometimes death/burials... although few RC parishes recorded deaths.

Films of most historic RC parish records are available in the National Library in Dublin. Dont know if there are any copies in the Galway area...

CofI parish records are held by the RCB Library in Co. Dublin.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Mods please remove website name if it's not allowed but I find that www.findmypast.ie has all sorts of records which go back to around 1720's!

• Advertisement

Thank you Galwaygirlee I must subscribe to them at some point but the finance isn't exactly there for that sort of thing for me ... yet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

If you don't mind me asking, was it IrelandXO that you worked at?

The Tithe Applotment Books cover the 1820s and 1830s.

You might get lucky with the 1908 OAP 'green forms' from the 1841 census.

The William Smith O'Brien petition covers 1848-1849.

The Tuam Herald is on Irish Newspaper Archive and starts from 1837.

Reproductive Loan Fund records cover the 1820s-1850s and there are some records that cover Galway.

John Grenham's book Tracing Your Irish Ancestors has a county by county listing of sources.

It was Galway Family History West Ltd 5 years ago. I was a trainee I keep forgetting about the OAP's. The Tithe books in Galway County library are hard to read I find but thanks for outlining stuff. I am doing family tracing and I am stuck at the point were what my great great grandparents parents names were? That is why I am looking for pre-1864/pre- Griffith's Valuation.

Advertisement