Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog barking

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

DBB wrote: »
    I wouldn't have leapt to the conclusion that this is nervous behavior, to be honest. I think you need to get bloods done on the little fella, because this behavior (it's called pica) is often indicative of a malabsorption problem. And malabsorption problems can cause hypervigilance and other hypersensitivity-related behavioral problems.

see I was right, knowledge is power.

Hitchens wrote: »
    There's nothing as bad as a dog barking continuously.

You could try this and it won't cost you anything. Roll up a few pages of a newspaper loosely and have it ready. As soon as he starts to bark at something you don't want him to bark at hit him across the snout with the paper. If you do this for a while each time he barks it may well stop him from doing it. The paper won't hurt him in physically but he will hate the sound it makes when it hits him.

I'd probably be inclined to leave him alone when he barks at someone at the door though.

I hope everything works out for both dog and master! ;)

Wow hit him then tell him I love you, then hit him again, makes no sense to me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Dean09 wrote: »
    Any advice is much appreciated.

There's nothing as bad as a dog barking continuously.

You could try this and it won't cost you anything. Roll up a few pages of a newspaper loosely and have it ready. As soon as he starts to bark at something you don't want him to bark at hit him across the snout with the paper. If you do this for a while each time he barks it may well stop him from doing it. The paper won't hurt him in physically but he will hate the sound it makes when it hits him.

I'd probably be inclined to leave him alone when he barks at someone at the door though.

I hope everything works out for both dog and master! ;)

Sheesh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I wouldn't have leapt to the conclusion that this is nervous behavior, to be honest. I think you need to get bloods done on the little fella, because this behaviour (it's called pica) is often indicative of a malabsorption problem. And malabsorption problems can cause hypervigilance and other hypersensitivity-related behavioural problems.

I got him neutered earlier this year and got his bloods done at the same time. The vet said his red blood cells were very slightly low but other than that everything was spot on.

Do you know what bloods were carried out? I'm wondering did the vet carry out biochemistry, or was it just total blood cell count (which would have revealed low red cells). To find out if a dog has a malabsorption problem requires a fair range of different tests. I'm just wondering do you know did your vet do these, with a view to definitively ruling in or ruling out malabsorption?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Do you know what bloods were carried out? I'm wondering did the vet carry out biochemistry, or was it just total blood cell count (which would have revealed low red cells). To find out if a dog has a malabsorption problem requires a fair range of different tests. I'm just wondering do you know did your vet do these, with a view to definitively ruling in or ruling out malabsorption?

I'm not exactly sure what was done tbh. She just asked me if I wanted to have his bloods done aswell at the same time and I agreed it was a good idea. From what I can remember it cost an extra €80 I think. So I don't know if that blood test would've been just a general check or more thorough tests.

Should be easy to find out! Give her a shout and see what was done and what it all means!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Wow hit him then tell him I love you, then hit him again, makes no sense to me.

wtf?

wtf?

Your reasoning is use force/pain, it makes no sense to me, simple, we are speaking about a feeling loving creature, why use force to install control,

is there not a better way, im sure there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Your reasoning is use force/pain, it makes no sense to me, simple, we are speaking about a feeling loving creature, why use force to install control,

is there not a better way, im sure there is.

There is no pain involved at all. That would be cruelty. The method I outlined merely shows your displeasure in a mild way, just like the bitch would have done when he was younger.

The thread starter looked for advice, and this was mine ...he doesn't have to take it.

(And telling a dog you love him is meaningless to him, it just makes you feel good.)

• Advertisement

There is no pain involved at all. That would be cruelty. The method I outlined merely shows your displeasure in a mild way, just like the bitch would have done when he was younger.

The thread starter looked for advice, and this was mine ...he doesn't have to take it.

(And telling a dog you love him is meaningless to him, it just makes you feel good.)

OK

Advertisement