Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas Boiler Repair/Service from Bord Gas

Options
  • 13-10-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I have an old boiler in a new house that i bought recently and due to the whole expense of the house, i have not got the money at this time to buy a new boiler so i decided to get the one that is already in the house serviced so that it will be up and running for a few short years until i accumulate the money to buy a new boiler. I rang Bord Gais thinking that they would be very trustworthy, fair and professional with their service since they are a massive company in Ireland. I rang them up and they said that they would send out one of their gas men to service it for €99 which i felt was a reasonable price. When the gas man called out, he tried to get the boiler to turn on but the pilot flame would not stay on. He informed me that it was a fault with the thermocouple and he said that i would have to get a new thermocouple. The boiler was old so i wasnt too surprised to find something wrong with it. He then said that his call-out would have to be changed to a 'repair service' and that this would cost €90. He was only 20 mins in the house and he barely did anything at all for €90!!! I got a call a few days later from Bord Gais to say that a replacement thermocouple had been ordered (costing around €28) and that another appointment would be arranged. On the second call-out, there was a different gas man and he tried to fit the thermocouple but he said that the wrong one was ordered and that there could also be something wrong with the gas valve. He spent 45 minutes at trying to fit a thermocouple and assessing the situation again. Because this was my second call-out i had to pay €25 for each 15 minutes on the job but the issue is still back at square one. I have thus paid out a total of €193 so far and nothing has been really done for me. For most other companies in Ireland, assessing some small basic faults with a system would certainly not cost so much as well as been charged for wrongly chosen parts!! Why should i have to pay for the thermocouple and the second call-out charge if the first guy ordered the wrong thermocouple?? The gas man then told me that i would be expected to get another call during the week about another thermocouple and a possible gas valve which he said would be quite expansive. I then would have to pay another call-out fee of €25 for every 15 mins to get those fitted and to finally get it serviced! It all seems incredibly unreasonable especially from a company as big as Bord Gais. It is so frustrating that im almost tempted to leave Bord Gais and join a different gas company that might be a bit fairer!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The bulk of your costs seem fair and reasonable, I think the only thing you can dispute relates to the cock-up over the thermocouple in which case you should only be charged for one thermocouple and the time needed to fit it (15-30mins?). You should not be liable for the time spent by the 2nd guy trying to make the wrong part fit.

As for the possibly faulty gas valve, that's a separate matter and if you decide to replace it then it's fair you pay for it and the time it needs to install it.

You talk of BG being unreasonable and of other gas companies possibly being fairer than BG but have you actually contacted BG Hometeam and discussed the matter with them? There's no mention of it in your post.

Advertisement