Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage issue

Options
  • 13-10-2012 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

I have worked for a large european company for the past 5 years. I have always been paid weekly pay, about a year ago I accepted a promotion and normally people at that level would be changed over to monthly salary, however, as I was on probation or whatever, I was left as is on my weekly pay. Now, through informal conversation with a colleague, i have been told the HR dept are moving me on to monthly salary (no formal comms from them, colleague has a buddy in HR so thats how he found out)
    Another thing is, the starting rate for someone in my current position is approx 5 or 6k less then what I am currently earning. Is it possible for them to change me from weekly to monthly (how much notice do they need to give, if any) also is it possible for them to give me a pay cut if i have got a promotion?

Any input or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

MichB2012 wrote: »
    I have worked for a large european company for the past 5 years. I have always been paid weekly pay, about a year ago I accepted a promotion and normally people at that level would be changed over to monthly salary, however, as I was on probation or whatever, I was left as is on my weekly pay. Now, through informal conversation with a colleague, i have been told the HR dept are moving me on to monthly salary (no formal comms from them, colleague has a buddy in HR so thats how he found out)
    Another thing is, the starting rate for someone in my current position is approx 5 or 6k less then what I am currently earning. Is it possible for them to change me from weekly to monthly (how much notice do they need to give, if any) also is it possible for them to give me a pay cut if i have got a promotion?

Any input or opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Movement from weekly to monthly presents very few issues. It was probably taken that you accepted this when you accepted the promotion. It would simply be common sense that they wouldn't change you during probation in case they had to change you back.

The pay cut, I would have thought, would need much more discussion. Did you get any sort of new contract with the promotion? Does it tell you in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Unless you agreed/signed-up to a wage reduction / monthly wage it is highly unlikely in a large comply that they will make any change to your working conditions without a formal communication.

Why are you relying on 2nd hand information from a buddy?

Go to HR. Tell them that your probation period is over and you want to discuss moving to a monthly salary as agreed at the start of the probation. Tell them that you believe that you have being doing a great job and that you want to discuss what your salary increase will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MichB2012

Thanks for the reply. When I originally accepted the job I was told I would be subject to a 12 week probation period. However this is now a year later so I assumed I was just here now on the same conditions and pay as before. I havent received a new contract. There was actually a company wide issue there a while back where everyones file had ti be checked for an up to date contract and I asked if I should have one to reflect my current position but I was told my original contract was sufficent. There was no talk or agreement on any salary when I accepted the job. The new HR manager (and whole dept actually) have only come in since Ive taken the job

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭MichB2012

Unless you agreed/signed-up to a wage reduction / monthly wage it is highly unlikely in a large comply that they will make any change to your working conditions without a formal communication.

Why are you relying on 2nd hand information from a buddy?

Go to HR. Tell them that your probation period is over and you want to discuss moving to a monthly salary as agreed at the start of the probation. Tell them that you believe that you have being doing a great job and that you want to discuss what your salary increase will be.

I wasnt relying on it, I have been fine with my current pay terms for the past year so it was only when I was told this, did I start to wonder.

I have asked a few times for a new contract but have been kind of 'pawned off' with "ah we'll sort it out next week".

I've heard of one or two that were pretty much shafted in the past few months by this new hr manager, didnt understand what they were agreeing to. (€1000 a week changed to €45k when in reality they woul have earned €52k in their original position)

Advertisement