Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedigree jumbones, mothballs smell !

• 13-10-2012 11:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭

Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but I bought these for my little dog the other day, he brought one outside, and when I picked it up to bring it back in again (it was a bit wet from wet grass), it was smelling very strongly.

I thought well, Mr Mountain must have some diy/maintenance stuff somewhere (I've been working on him learning to "dog proof" diy stuff, but he's not 100% cautious), and this dipped in something like petrol or other bad chemical stuff, the smell was horrible, but thankfully the treat was hardly nibbled at. Needless to say that went straight to the bin.

Doggy was a bit sick the other day, for one night and a bit of the next morning, some vomiting (that's when I sort of scrutinised treat and food), but quickly got better.

Later I gave him the second bone in pack, he ate a chunk of it... I took a sniff, and it's really really smelly inside as well, like mothballs !!! :eek::confused:

That's gone to the bin too, and I'm simply not ever buying them again, what the hell ? I had never heard about them being bad, is that a bad batch or is it an accepted thing that Pedigree Jumbones are full of chemicals ???

Ewww "delicious meaty centre", NOT.

edit : and don't worry, the dog is not in danger of swallowing harmful substances every day, in fact Mr Mountain is a lot more cautious than I give him credit for, but I thought dog could have slipped into shed unnoticed or something, like children, he's supervised most of the time, but a sneaky 5 minutes dash could have happened.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Those bones gave my dog the runs, I woiuld never use them again. Vile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭sionnaic

Pedigree is a terrible brand - everything they make is muck, full of chemicals and unhealthy fillers and very low quality ingredients. Basically it is one of the worst possible things you can feed your dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Those bones gave my dog the runs, I woiuld never use them again. Vile.

+1 Any of their treats had the same affect on my guy - I'd never buy them btw but had gotten a free xmas stocking from some site!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Thanks guys, this is my first dog, so it's hard to know what's good and what's not. He's on bakers nuts, that's what he was on when I got him, but I do give him some treats, and will avoid Pedigree in the future. I'll stick to the (really smelly, but in a more natural way :D) dried ears and stuff you can get from Maxizoo, foreign brand, can't remember name. They seem fine ? Think I got him pig's ears before, just saw rabbits'ears today, yuck, but yum, if you see what I mean...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

I get mine winalot/bonios or treats from the petshop.

What breed of dog have you? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Bakers is as bad as pedigree so id change him off that as well, it's awful stuff.

He's a Shih tzu x Bichon, full of beans, he'll only be a year in November. :)

What do you recommend Andreac ? I've seen people talking about raw diet, but I don't think I'd manage that, working and not always at home for feeding so it has to be something more manageable for Mr Mountain who's at home with him more.

He's not a very hungry dog, thinks more of playing than eating atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

You could try High 5, it's a maxi zoo brand. Currently have one of the lads here on it and his coat is amazing. Same price-ish as Bakers but 20% meat and no colourings. Otherwise, I would really reccomend the raw diet, it's doing the oldest fella here wonders. And even if you dont want to go whole hog, how about using raw meat/bones as treats? Chicken thighs/backs/legs for a bit of a workout and to keep his teeth clean.

Thanks Rommie, sounds like a great plan, and I bet he'd love it, but in his case the risk is that he'd be nearly full after a chicken leg, he's so small... wouldn't that be a bit unbalanced ?
    I'll look for the High 5 next time I go. Going to finish what Bakers I have though, funds are a bit tight right now. I guess mixing both for a bit would help getting him used to the new thing wouldn't it ?
    He's got a beautiful coat now on the Bakers and is in brilliant form (the sickness of last week was a bug, the whole family had it... didn't know dogs could get our tummy bugs too but I googled :)
    He's back hopping around the place, growling like a ferocious Dobermann when we play tug with his Maxizoo string of sausages.:D

• Advertisement

While he might be doing okay on the bakers now, the consequences of feeding him such will kick in later down the line. Have a google of E numbers and Bakers and just see how many chemicals is in it that has been banned from human use, and for good reasons! I wouldn't touch anything bakers or pedigree related. What you can do with the chicken leg is give him half of his daily portion at one point and just the leg on its own for the other meal. I know people always talk about a 'complete and balanced meal' but in reality, how many wild canids really eat a balanced meal every day? For that matter, how many people really eat a balanced meal every day?

I'll try that Rommie, sounds good and easy to do. The cat can have his leg too, he's nearly nine and has great teeth according to the vets, he was an active hunter until recently (mice, rabbits, even the odd pheasant !), but is sort of losing interest now, so the raw bones are sure to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'd go with wings for a bichon tbh - a leg seems like a lot? My retriever's daily food is drumstick + veg for breakfast and thigh + veg for dindins! Anyhoos OP you'll find TONS of food threads if you do a search because there's been a food uprising on boards this year with the recession - there seems to have been a mass switch to either raw or skinners lol! ;)

thanks and yeah, I've seen some of the threads, as I said though, I'm not inclined to switch to raw altogether, a happy medium will do it for me. I have some chicken drumsticks in the freezer, like mini legs, so I think they'll do nicely at the moment anyway, he might be more into his dinners as he gets older, right now they're just a distraction from more important business. Like play. And more play.

edit : I've posted a pic of him in the pics thread, if you like to know who we're talking about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭_Lady_

Rommie wrote: »
    You could try High 5, it's a maxi zoo brand. Currently have one of the lads here on it and his coat is amazing. Same price-ish as Bakers but 20% meat and no colourings. Otherwise, I would really reccomend the raw diet, it's doing the oldest fella here wonders. And even if you dont want to go whole hog, how about using raw meat/bones as treats? Chicken thighs/backs/legs for a bit of a workout and to keep his teeth clean.
    Hi Rommie, this High 5 stuff is it any good for bigger dogs? I was feeding my lab/poodle cross connollys leader large breed puppy nuts but I honestly can't afford them anymore so switched to only other large breed puppy nuts I could afford which was pedigree. Now worrying that I should try something else? He gets raw bones and raw treats as well as nuts and also whatever meat and veg that we're having to make his nuts more interesting and he seems to be really liking it with a good healthy fluffy coat but wonder does the maxi zoo stuff have a large breed version? Bigger nuts = happier Fred who isn't hoovering... Thanks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Rommie wrote: »
    And even if you dont want to go whole hog, how about using raw meat/bones as treats? Chicken thighs/backs/legs for a bit of a workout and to keep his teeth clean.

An alternative to the raw treats are fish sea jerky. I have started using fish4dogs seajerky fish rolls - which is just fish skins compacted really tight.

My dogs have a great time munching them and I have seen a big improvement in their teeth - fish4dogs market them as dental treats. Would be alot better than the Pedigree bone.

Also you can get them in different sizes to suit the size of your dog.

(ZooPlus do a cheaper version which I might try the next time.)

_Lady_ wrote: »
    Hi Rommie, this High 5 stuff is it any good for bigger dogs? I was feeding my lab/poodle cross connollys leader large breed puppy nuts but I honestly can't afford them anymore so switched to only other large breed puppy nuts I could afford which was pedigree. Now worrying that I should try something else? He gets raw bones and raw treats as well as nuts and also whatever meat and veg that we're having to make his nuts more interesting and he seems to be really liking it with a good healthy fluffy coat but wonder does the maxi zoo stuff have a large breed version? Bigger nuts = happier Fred who isn't hoovering... Thanks?

It's got all the joint supplements and stuff in it and the fella we have on it is an akita and he's flying on it. They have to be an adult though, it's only for dogs over fifteen months and they dont do a puppy version. Another one we've used for a foster is Happydog puppy food, you can get it in Maxi zoo or online. Same quality as the leader i think but cheaper. Definitely better than pedigree too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Never noticed that they smelled that bad maybe it was an off pack? If it smelled that strongly I'd send it back to the company.

I don't buy them anymore, am too much of a cheapskate lately but never noticed a smell that was any worse than the other dog treats.

Sigma Force, if you ever buy them again, or are at someone's house and they have them, the smell is not so bad when the "bone" is intact, it's when it's cut in half, and a bit wet, it's horrible, really.

It has crossed my mind that maybe it was just a batch that had been contaminated with something, I don't know... And I just realised there were 4 inside the pack, so there's 2 left in there (they're the small dog variety). I might just send them back to them with a letter attached explaining that I find that smell shocking and wonder if that's normal.

I'm not imagining things, gave Mr Mountains a smell as well just to be sure, but it's definitely awful : mothballs, nail polish remover, petrol... that kind of smell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Deffo send them back you should at least get your money back or a voucher sounds gross no treat should smell that bad (unless it's tripe).

• Advertisement
Advertisement