Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

theory test cert..can i present it in january?

• 13-10-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

I have my theory test this Friday..just found out that if I get my learner A permit before January my license will be restricted..the opposite of what I was told by rsa ..

However, if my learner permit is issued after the changes in January , it won't be restricted.

So..do I cancel my theory test (and lose 45 euro:( )..or can I sit it on Friday , hang on to the pass cert until Jan and then exchange it for an unrestricted learner permit?

If anyone knows I'd appreciate the info..thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

According to citizensinformation.ie, the theory test cert must be presented within 2 years of taking the test - so you'll be fine waiting till Jan.

Good luck with the test!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

cojomo2 wrote: »
    I have my theory test this Friday..just found out that if I get my learner A permit before January my license will be restricted..the opposite of what I was told by rsa ..

However, if my learner permit is issued after the changes in January , it won't be restricted.

So..do I cancel my theory test (and lose 45 euro:( )..or can I sit it on Friday , hang on to the pass cert until Jan and then exchange it for an unrestricted learner permit?

If anyone knows I'd appreciate the info..thanks

It depends on your age. If your over 24 then you can apply for an unrestricted A permit after jan 19th. You will then need to do your IBT on an unrestricted bike by completing modules 1,3 & 5. Give your local instructor a call to get the details as I would need several pages to try to explain correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Roadskill wrote: »
    It depends on your age. If your over 24 then you can apply for an unrestricted A permit after jan 19th. You will then need to do your IBT on an unrestricted bike by completing modules 1,3 & 5. Give your local instructor a call to get the details as I would need several pages to try to explain correctly

Yep..well over 24..but if I pass my theory test on Friday and get the learner permit, it will be restricted, yeah ? But if I pass theory test in February and get permit, it will be unrestricted..but what if I pass theory test on Friday, hold on to pass certificate until Feb and then exchange for learner permit , will it be unrestricted or will they restrict it simply because I passed the theory test before the new rules?

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭RobertM

Yep..well over 24..but if I pass my theory test on Friday and get the learner permit, it will be restricted, yeah ? But if I pass theory test in February and get permit, it will be unrestricted..but what if I pass theory test on Friday, hold on to pass certificate until Feb and then exchange for learner permit , will it be unrestricted or will they restrict it simply because I passed the theory test before the new rules?

Thanks for the reply.

The pass cert is just a pass cert. It entitles you to a learner permit, but is not a learner permit.

Hold the cert until February so that you'll get a unrestricted permit.

Of course, if anyone knows better, please post.

RobertM wrote: »
    The pass cert is just a pass cert. It entitles you to a learner permit, but is not a learner permit.

Hold the cert until February so that you'll get a unrestricted permit.

Of course, if anyone knows better, please post.

Correct

• Advertisement

Correct

Yes..but no need yo hold the cert. Until Jan now is there..I can get the restricted permit next week and swap it for an unrestricted onebin Jan...that way I don't have to wait 6 months from Jan to sit my test..have I got that correct ?

Also..was there any mention of a new test for the unrestricted. A license ?
    Thanks

Yes..but no need yo hold the cert. Until Jan now is there..I can get the restricted permit next week and swap it for an unrestricted onebin Jan...that way I don't have to wait 6 months from Jan to sit my test..have I got that correct ?

Also..was there any mention of a new test for the unrestricted. A license ?
    Thanks

You could if you want but the 6 month wait was introduced to get experience and prepare to be test ready. You would need to do your IBT to get on the road now and then do module 5 if you change the permit over. If you wait you will do IBT modules 1,3 & 5 but be able to ride an unrestricted bike on that permit anyway.
    There is no change to the test but the new examiners for bike to bike testing have finished their training so that will be introduced in the new year.

You could if you want but the 6 month wait was introduced to get experience and prepare to be test ready. You would need to do your IBT to get on the road now and then do module 5 if you change the permit over. If you wait you will do IBT modules 1,3 & 5 but be able to ride an unrestricted bike on that permit anyway.
    There is no change to the test but the new examiners for bike to bike testing have finished their training so that will be introduced in the new year.

Yep ..I have 3 years experience on a bike but it was over 5 years ago..so the plan is to get my permit next week, change it for an unrestricted one in Jan. do module 1, 3 and 5 , buy a bike (that meets the criteria for the full A test ) and then take the test 4 months later ..is that all possible yeah? Thanks

Yep ..I have 3 years experience on a bike but it was over 5 years ago..so the plan is to get my permit next week, change it for an unrestricted one in Jan. do module 1, 3 and 5 , buy a bike (that meets the criteria for the full A test ) and then take the test 4 months later ..is that all possible yeah? Thanks

The short answer is yes

Advertisement