Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who else is there? Who to replace Trap if he went tomorrow?

• 13-10-2012 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I've seen calls for Big Mick to be offered the job, but there's a chance he'd tell the FAI to get bent.

Realistically, what manager could take the current dross that passes for a national team, and do better than qualifying for a tournament?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

If he didn't despise the FAI so much, I'd take Roy Keane.

Yes, his managerial record doesn't stand for much, but Jesus Christ he'd beat that passion and fight back into this group of players. Besides, who's to say he wouldn't be better cut out for international management than club management. Praise the lord he'd actually go and watch the players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kenny Dalglish? (well you never know!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

mike65 wrote: »
    Kenny Dalglish? (well you never know!)

I'd rather John Delaney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Philippe Troussier. Always the bridesmaid. Give him a whirl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Brian Kerr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

This lad ain't working at the moment........ Pep Guardiola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Id love to see Chris Hughton given a chance he seems to be able to manage mediocre players quite well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

to be honest, Fergie or Wenger could have been in charge last night and we still would have lost by 3 or 4.

the players available, were just not good enough for Germany. in saying that, Germany will take alot of beating over the next 2 years, they are some team.

Who should be the next Ireland manager? I have no idea who we can get to be honest, I cant see any outstanding candidates to be honest who would be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Well, I dont see them giving anyone near the money Trap was on, so your can rule out any big names. Keane won't take it because of his relationship with the FAI, so with regards to top flight experienced Irish managers your left with O'Leary and McCarthy.

Other managers out of work that might like a crack at it would be Coyle, Curbishley, McLeish and maybe Strachan. Obviously these are the types of candidates that would tick the experienced box first and foremost, but I wouldn't be overall excited by their appointments. After the Staunton debacle, I don't see an in-experienced manager getting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Harry Redknapp? I'd like to see Martin O'Neill but that's a non-runner.

Trap won't quit, he's too stubborn and he won't be sacked unless we we lose to the Faroes, even then he may not be because it'll cost too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Mick meets with the FAI about getting his job back.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Id love to see Chris Hughton given a chance he seems to be able to manage mediocre players quite well.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: the lad is a donkey, is out of his dept when it comes to top level, so how do we know it wont be the same as last night?

he just does not seem to get the respect of players.

Coyle and Strachan are good shouts though, now we are talking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

the players available, were just not good enough for Germany. in saying that, Germany will take alot of beating over the next 2 years, they are some team.
    And for me there in lies the issue with trap, he has no interest in trying other/new player in friendlies ... He'd rather reward players that have done the job before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Mick McCarthy, or Martin O'Neil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

TaosHum wrote: »
    Well, I dont see them giving anyone near the money Trap was on, so your can rule out any big names. Keane won't take it because of his relationship with the FAI, so with regards to top flight experienced Irish managers your left with O'Leary and McCarthy.

Other managers out of work that might like a crack at it would be Coyle, Curbishley, Mcleish and maybe Strachan. Obviously these are the types of candidates that would tick the experienced box first and foremost, but I wouldn't be overall excited by their appointments. After the Staunton debacle, I don't see an in-experienced manager getting it.

Just NO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Has David O'Leary vanished off the face of the earth?

I'd like to see Mick back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Harry Redknapp. International football would suit him down to the ground, he's always excelled at getting the most out of limited players and he would be able to restore the team spirit that's so clearly lacking right now. I think he'd be motivated to prove the FA were wrong to snub him for the England job too and at him age now a less time demanding role like international football would appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Harry Redknapp. International football would suit him down to the ground, he's always excelled at getting the most out of limited players and he would be able to restore the team spirit that's so clearly lacking right now. I think he'd be motivated to prove the FA were wrong to snub him for the England job too and at him age now a less time demanding role like international football would appeal.

Worked for Jack Charlton. I got the impression that half his motivation for doing well with Ireland was to say a big "Fúck you" to the English FA who had overlooked him previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Another guy that could generate some interest would be Co Adriaanse. Done very well with AZ in the Dutch league during the mid noughties, but has bounced around every since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

I would take Curbishley. Gets a bad rap because he comes across as boring in interviews and he was sacked by West Ham. However he had Charlton punching above their weight for years and years, left and they fell apart and then he took over at West Ham and saved them from relegation in 2006 with a run of 7 or 8 wins in a row.

Finished in the top ten with them the following season, followed that by winning 2 of the opening 3 games in 2008 and was fired because they foolishly wanted Zola. West Ham subsequently fell apart after firing him. As he is out of work and has been for a while I think he might be interested and would be a near perfect candidate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

:eek::eek::eek::eek: the lad is a donkey, is out of his dept when it comes to top level, so how do we know it wont be the same as last night?

he just does not seem to get the respect of players.

Coyle and Strachan are good shouts though, now we are talking.

Well we are hardly what you would call top level now are we and to quote your other post

"to be honest, Fergie or Wenger could have been in charge last night and we still would have lost by 3 or 4."

If the players dont respect the likes of Trap and what he has achieved in the game there is no manager that the FAI can afford that will gain they're respect.

Money is going to be the problem for the next manager as in we dont have any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

Alan Mathews? Ah, go on, go on, go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

People suggesting the likes of Martin O'Neil? He wouldn't leave Sunderland for Ireland!!!

Owen Coyle, Mick McCarthy would be our level.

Chris Hughton - He seems to me like the type of manager that players can take the complete and utter piss out of and do whatever they like.

He got arguably the best squad the Championship had ever seen promoted with the likes of Nolan and Barton were running the show at Newcastle when he was there and Norwich are almost certainly going down this season.

I haven't seen anything from him to suggest that he's capable of managing at the top level.

The likes of Coyle, Strachan and McLeish are absolutely shocking suggestions too. Coyle is a complete and utter clown who hid behind his ''I play good football'' myth for a while before he was found out and the last time Strachan was relevant was about 5 years ago. McLeish, all I can say is Jesus wept. My eyes are still trying to get me to apologies for watching some Villa games last season. The likes of Martin O'Neill who already have good club jobs will not leave them to manage Ireland either.

At the end of the day the best and most realistic manager we could get at the minute is Mick McCarthy. A nice guy by all accounts but if that's the best we can get then we might as well just not bother. I'd also be surprised if some Championship team hasn't given him a job by the time Trap is gone too.

It would be great if they had a bit of ambition and went and threw money at an unemployed manager who may feel like they have something to prove and with a decent salary on offer international management precedent suggests that they would take the job - like Rafa Benitez or Bert Van Marjwick. Give them the £1.5m a year Trap is getting and that should rank them in the top 5-7 of highest paid international managers in the world according to this list (as only 3 international managers make the top 30 and the 30th highest paid is on €1.6m a year). As we all know it's the money that attracts managers to these positions, the likes of Hitzfeld going to Switzerland and Hiddink to South Korea, Australia etc for example.

Sadly though money will be the issue and our shortlist will probably be confined to the likes of Owen Coyle, Chris Hughton etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

One of the two men to manage us at a World Cup...Mick McCarthy.

It would be a pretty similar job to the last time. Jack, for all the good he did, left an ageing team and really hadn't blooded players in the last couple of years of his reign.

Mick had to pretty much start with a bunch of inexperienced lads and never finished lower than 2nd in a qualifying campaign.

And he's available.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Mick McCarthy, Chris Hughton, Brian McDermott. Anybody who can make the most of what we've got which is something that Trap just isn't doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

i think roy would be a great motivator and might be suited perfectly to international football but then delaney would certainly have to be gone for that to be a possibilty. and sure he's like that prick blatter, there'll be no shifting the ****er!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

David Moyes or Roberto Martinez - do they earn what Trapp does for working full time ?

Money talks , if Moyes was to go anywhere , Ireland would be best , yeah I'm dreaming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Paully D wrote: »

At the end of the day the best and most realistic manager we could get at the minute is Mick McCarthy.

Not true.Brian Kerr has the best senior level win record for us at 53%.Jack Charlton - 50% and Mick McCarthy - 42.6%.

Brian Kerr has won 1997 World Youth Championships as well as U16 and U18 European Championships.He also qualified Ireland for the 1999 and 2003 World Youth Championships.

He achieved miracles with the Faroe Islands with wins over Lithuania,Estonia and a draw against Northern Ireland to name a few.He is probably their best manager to date.

Thats why my vote would be Brian Kerr because I feel he got a raw deal the first time round.

• Advertisement

Not too many mentioned above that are affordable are as good as Trap tbh.

Martin O Neill or Owen Coyle? lol

Mick Mc Carthy would be an ok shout if the FAI could afford his wages which could be a stumbling block.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

bohsman wrote: »
    Brian Kerr.

I'd be happy with that. Or McCarthy. But realistically they could both say no...

thebaz wrote: »
    David Moyes or Roberto Martinez - do they earn what Trapp does for working full time ?

Money talks , if Moyes was to go anywhere , Ireland would be best , yeah I'm dreaming

Moyes is the 12th highest paid manager in world football according to Futebol Finance with a yearly salary of €3.6m.

Martinez is on around £1.2m a year plus bonuses, according to The Mirror

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

Id love to see Harry Redknapp get the job but I can't see it happening as I feel he will take up another club stint

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Des wrote: »
    Realistically, what manager could take the current dross that passes for a national team, and do better than qualifying for a tournament?

No-one. And no-one available could even get us qualified. And i reckon that we won't qualify for another under Trap. Whatever we thought about his selection and tactics before, the players not putting in the effort for him is new and it's hard to see how he can turn it around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

billyhead wrote: »
    Id love to see Harry Redknapp get the job but I can't see it happening as I feel he will take up another club stint

Not sure,as I feel we would turn into the England 'B' team."Arry,call me up,my great-granddads friend was Irish,that will do wont it".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

gosplan wrote: »
    No-one. And no-one available could even get us qualified. And i reckon that we won't qualify for another under Trap. Whatever we thought about his selection and tactics before, the players not putting in the effort for him is new and it's hard to see how he can turn it around.

The Euro's? 1 or 2 can like Andrews can hold their heads high after the Euro's but that's it. The 3 games were as a lackluster a performance i have seen from an Irish set-up and had hoped it would be the worst i would see. The Germany game surpassed that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Redknapp would be my choice too but I doubt he'd be interested and/or we would pay him enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Chris Hughton or Mick McCarthy.

Or if we couldn't get either, then perhaps make a call to Pep Guardiola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

McDermott would be a decent shout if Reading give him the sack.Hughton and O'Neill (quite rightly) wont leave Norwich or Sunderland for Ireland.Redknapp would want monster money I'd say,and isn't worth it imo.

Kerr was a failed experiment and left on poor terms last time so doubt the FAI would offer him the job again.

Wasn't a fan of McCarthy's first reign,but he'd probably do a decent job of steadying the ship if Delaney and Co wanted him back.

I'd rather Steve Staunton back then let Roy Keane take over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Wouldn't mind seeing big Mick back

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

If Keane was appointed, I'd stop supporting the national side, he abandoned his country once before so I'd have no time for him...also his proven to be a failure as a manager

Bring back Mick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

Mick McCarthy?! are you guys for real. the man is a clueless manager.

statss wrote: »

Who's your pick then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

statss wrote: »

Clueless? Two play-offs and a WC Finals from 3 campaigns. Brings Ireland from a ranking in the mid 50's to 13 in the world. Yeah clueless alright. Yet you have all the Trap-ite's shouting about his play-off and a Euro Finals and that we can't do any better than him.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Would be completely against Roy Keane being appointed

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Would be completely against Roy Keane being appointed

It'd never happen.

The FAI would probably never go for him and he'd probably never work for them.

Also, he's not good enough as a manager, let's face it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

thebaz wrote: »

David Moyes gets paid £3.8m a year at Everton. He's in the last year of his contract so that figure should be rising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

People would refuse Mick McCarthy?

We're a worse side than the team under Steve Staunton...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I'd wait a few months for Zeman to be sacked/leave Roma. A long shot I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Who's your pick then?

Not someone who has since overseen two relegations and been sacked in both jobs he has had. The man is a failure. What has he proved in the past few years that suggests he is a better manager now? People have very short memories when it comes to McCarthy's time as manager of Ireland. Going back to him is a backwards step.

• Advertisement
Advertisement