Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who else is there? Who to replace Trap if he went tomorrow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Redknapp, if persuaded, would be a good fit imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭tonycascarino

'Arry for me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

I woudn't have Roy Keane anywhere near the position as he would just cause disharmony and friction in the dressing room by winding players up the wrong way. Look what happened at Sunderland aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

billyhead wrote: »
    I woudn't have Roy Keane anywhere near the position as he would just cause disharmony and friction in the dressing room by winding players up the wrong way. Look what happened at Sunderland aswell
    At Sunderland when he turned them into a premier league team from the championship relegation zone in a matter of months? I think it was a big mistake on his part to leave them like that but he did very well while he was there imo. I think given the right position he'll thrive but there are a lot of unsuitable positions that he's been put in recently that have really damaged his credentials. A team at the top end of the table suits him I think but he's never going to get a position like that unless he goes abroad or drops a division or two which probably won't happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

God there are so many annoying people on here giving names of people we could never get like Redknapp or Moyes etc. and other people saying no not McCarthy or Coyle etc. they're not good enough. I just couldn't have a proper discussion with ye people. We are only good enough to get a championship level manager or if they had a connection to Ireland maybe a lowly top flight manager.

We have to be realistic. The level of manager we would be lucky to get would be McCarthy, Coyle, Curbishley, McDermott, Warnock, Hughton etc. I also think we would be more appealing to an older manager who has managed for many years as most of the younger ones would have more ambition to stay managing in club football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

andyman wrote: »
    If he didn't despise the FAI so much, I'd take Roy Keane.

Yes, his managerial record doesn't stand for much, but Jesus Christ he'd beat that passion and fight back into this group of players. Besides, who's to say he wouldn't be better cut out for international management than club management. Praise the lord he'd actually go and watch the players.

Keane? Are you serious?
    I know a few players won't play for Trap but nobody would turn up for keane.
    Good footballer but has all the man management skills of a brick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

statss wrote: »
    Not someone who has since overseen two relegations and been sacked in both jobs he has had. The man is a failure. What has he proved in the past few years that suggests he is a better manager now? People have very short memories when it comes to McCarthy's time as manager of Ireland. Going back to him is a backwards step.

As opposed to?
    Trap's time is up and the sooner the FAI realise that fact, the better.
    Should have kept Mick, I'd have him back in the morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Giles with Dunphy & Brady part of the coaching team too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I'd wait a few months for Zeman to be sacked/leave Roma. A long shot I know.

Ha that would be some change from Trap! If nothing else, at least it would be entertaining!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Dick Advocate
    Honest Arry
    Brian Kerr
    Mick
    Chris Houghton
    Martin O Neil

Sin City wrote: »
    Dick Advocate
    Honest Arry
    Brian Kerr
    Mick
    Chris Houghton
    Martin O Neil

Could only afford Kerr and possibly Houghton I'd say, and are both really better than Trap? I doubt it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Doocey wrote: »
    People would refuse Mick McCarthy?

We're a worse side than the team under Steve Staunton...

I dont think we are. People have terrible memories.

Lets go back to euro 2008 qualification. We got hammered by the might of Cyprus, then we drew with them in croker, and they outplayed us. We got out of jail against san marino away, steven Ireland got the winner in the 94minute.
    There was public outrage, media outrage, and calls for him to get sacked after every game.

So my point is, it is bad now, but not as bad as Stauton era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Why do people keep going on about not being able to afford this person or that? Trap, last time i seen it, was one of the top 10 paid International managers in the world. The likes of Slaven Bilic was under less than €400,000 a year. Club salaries shouldn't be compared when assessing salaries for international managers. It is not a day to day involvement like club football and salaries reflect that. If O'Brien was again willing to supplement half of the wages for the next manager, no reason to suggest he won't, then we can definitely offer an attractive package to any would-be candidates.

And for some, managing their national team is not about money and is a privilege. Just because the earn "x amount" at club level does not mean that they wouldn't be interested in the job for a lower salary.

Why do people keep going on about not being able to afford this person or that? Trap, last time i seen it, was one of the top 10 paid International managers in the world. The likes of Slaven Bilic was under less than €400,000 a year. Club salaries shouldn't be compared when assessing salaries for international managers. It is not a day to day involvement like club football and salaries reflect that. If O'Brien was again willing to supplement half of the wages for the next manager, no reason to suggest he won't, then we can definitely offer an attractive package to any would-be candidates.

And for some, managing their national team is not about money and is a privilege. Just because the earn "x amount" at club level does not mean that they wouldn't be interested in the job for a lower salary.

Denis O Brien pays half of Trap's salary.

If he was to discontinue that you're looking at 750k a year for a manager.

Good luck getting a top replacement with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Joe Royle. Reckon he could make a similar impact as Big Jack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Quote:
    Originally Posted by clubberlang12

Denis O Brien pays half of Trap's salary.

If he was to discontinue that you're looking at 750k a year for a manager.

Good luck getting a top replacement with that.

Check the bolded bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

eh i dunno wrote: »

While we are at it has anyone mentioned Joe Kinnear yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Turtyturd wrote: »
    eh i dunno wrote: »

While we are at it has anyone mentioned Joe Kinnear yet?
    After the way he handled the newcastle job?!

How bout the irish coach that went to hibs? Is he steven kenny?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,783 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Mick McCarthy is the obvious choice, but after paying off Trap our budget would be minuscule, so even Mick could be out of range.

On a side note.. It's Chris Hughton, not Houghton. That really irks me in this and other threads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

Not true.Brian Kerr has the best senior level win record for us at 53%.Jack Charlton - 50% and Mick McCarthy - 42.6%.

Brian Kerr has won 1997 World Youth Championships as well as U16 and U18 European Championships.He also qualified Ireland for the 1999 and 2003 World Youth Championships.

He achieved miracles with the Faroe Islands with wins over Lithuania,Estonia and a draw against Northern Ireland to name a few.He is probably their best manager to date.

Thats why my vote would be Brian Kerr because I feel he got a raw deal the first time round.

I'd agree with this.

Trap done a great job to steady the ship after stan but in my eyes he just got us back to the same level that Kerr has. Another vote for him. (seems like a sound fella as well)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭tuborg_man

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »

Pat fenlon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

No, Kenny was found out to be a spoofer in Scotland. Fenlon has Hibs up to 2nd in the SPL, would be crazy to take the Ireland job at this stage of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I'd be happy with that. Or McCarthy. But realistically they could both say no...

You'd be happy with that happening now or are you still on the Team Trap bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Just as a sidenote I do wonder why any international manager is on comparable salary to a top club manager? The number of games (therefore gates/revenue) is far fewer and the financial reward for success is likewise less (a Champions league winning team earns more than a world cup winning team). Not to mention I can only imagine the workload is less for an international manager (tho I might only have that impression because of El Skiver Giovanni).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Clueless? Two play-offs and a WC Finals from 3 campaigns. Brings Ireland from a ranking in the mid 50's to 13 in the world. Yeah clueless alright. Yet you have all the Trap-ite's shouting about his play-off and a Euro Finals and that we can't do any better than him.

In fairness - one playoff and a euro finals. Brought Ireland from ranking 30-something to 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

I'd like to see Mick back personally. Kerr got a bad deal too from the FAI so don't know if he'd come back.
    Interestingly Paddy Power offering 5/2 on Mick as next manager!
    If they want Mick,they better get it done quickly with the talk of him becoming Bolton/ Blackburn top man.
    Actually for those who mightn't know, it's said that Trap earns more than Del Bosque

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

I'd like to see Mick back personally. Kerr got a bad deal too from the FAI so don't know if he'd come back.
    If they want Mick,they better get it done quickly with the talk of him becoming Bolton/ Blackburn top man.
    Actually for those who mightn't know, it's said that Trap earns more than Aragones

Who does aragones manage these days??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

statss wrote: »
    Not someone who has since overseen two relegations and been sacked in both jobs he has had. The man is a failure. What has he proved in the past few years that suggests he is a better manager now? People have very short memories when it comes to McCarthy's time as manager of Ireland. Going back to him is a backwards step.

Two relegations after getting them promoted in the first place. We always got a play off spot under Mick. In the old days, that would would've been automatic qualification. He's the best manager we ever had and the Keane fanboys ran him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

keep on hearing cant afford so and so! for those advocating that, do you realise the cost of half empty avivas? no plays offs or tournament revenue? merchandise sales etc! Its a colossal false economy that actually costs a fortune, not saves it...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I'd have McCarthy back in less than a heartbeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

tuborg_man wrote: »

Pat fenlon.
    Yeah him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

More interesting is that you can 12/1 with bet victor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Do people seriously think we have a chance of getting Harry Redknapp? Lets be realistic we havent a hope of getting him. Its like talking about a great signing for Shamrock Rovers for next season and talking about Rooney or Defoe. Mick Mcarthy would be about the best we can get. MON, Redknapp, Moyes?:eek: Even for big money Moyes wouldnt dream of managing Ireland before his native Scotland plus its high risk low reward with the squad we have, theres a much bigger job waiting for him down the line.
    Why would the Irish job be any more attractive than Wales and Scotland?? We wouldn't be touting these names for those jobs...
    We will get a manager thats managed a club mid table premier league or got a club promoted.
    Id personally have Kerr back. But honestly not too fussed once he can speak the language, British or Irish preferably and has a decent reputation, and ofcourse is willing to watch the players weekly in England.:mad:

Kerr
    Mcarthy
    Coyle
    Hughton

It will be one of the 4 I say. 3 have already been in the set up and know the score, gone on to do good jobs after Ireland and are now better managers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

Knowing the FAI it will end up being Don Givens or someone like that.

What's doing my head in is that some people seem to think that fans calling for Trap to go think another manager will get us into a tournament. That's not the case.

I'm completely anti-Trap. I make no bones about it. I was delighted when he was appointed, i have no issues with the FAI for appointing him, but whatever magnetism he had over the squad because of who he was is well and truly gone.

I'm not saying that appointing Mick McCarthy will qualify us for tournaments. But he'll make better use of the players we have available to us. As John O' Shea said last night, there's a way to lose games. There's also a way not to qualify.

I really really don't see the point of Trapattoni as manager anymore. It's over. Let Denis O' Brien pay off is contract (Trap is 72 by the way, what should money matter to him at that age, he's already a millionaire) and the FAI can appoint Mick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

In today's press conference:

Trap directly asked if players understood game plan.
    Response? “There is 3 or 4 players, 1 metre 88, strong. With personality.”

:confused::eek::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

andyman wrote: »
    If he didn't despise the FAI so much, I'd take Roy Keane.

Yes, his managerial record doesn't stand for much, but Jesus Christ he'd beat that passion and fight back into this group of players. Besides, who's to say he wouldn't be better cut out for international management than club management. Praise the lord he'd actually go and watch the players.
    Me. He is a failure as a club manager so he must be cut out to be an international manager? I would expect more players to retire.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    In today's press conference:

Trap directly asked if players understood game plan.
    Response? “There is 3 or 4 players, 1 metre 88, strong. With personality.”

:confused::eek::(

Why he doesnt speak Italian in the post-match interviews and conferences and get the translator to say it in English is beyond me. It would be much more clearer and would help with some of the awful crap that can be spun from the interviews.

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    Why he doesnt speak Italian in the post-match interviews and conferences and get the translator to say it in English is beyond me. It would be much more clearer and would help with some of the awful crap that can be spun from the interviews.

I do respect the fact the he wants to speak English. It shows respect towards the fans.

But i haven't an iota what he tries to communicate. I really don't. He's doing himself no favours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I think most people that can look objectively at both the past and present will acknowledge that Mick McCarthy would be a very worthy choice, he has all the credentials needed, been there before and achieved success, has real passion for the job and country, and has a current in depth knowledge of players available to play for Ireland.

O the other hand Roy Keane would provide us with some quality entertainment until he walks out.

monkey9 wrote: »
    I do respect the fact the he wants to speak English. It shows respect towards the fans.

But i haven't an iota what he tries to communicate. I really don't. He's doing himself no favours!

At this stage it would be more respectful if we could a bit of sense out of his interviews even if he speaks Italian and lets the translator do what she is paid for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Why are so many people going on about Redknapp? He'd be a terrible international manager. His tactical knowledge is his biggest shortcoming while his biggest talent is his ability to buy very good players for cheap which obviously would not be a required talent as an international team manager.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Felexicon wrote: »
    Why are so many people going on about Redknapp? He'd be a terrible international manager. His tactical knowledge is his biggest shortcoming while his biggest talent is his ability to buy very good players for cheap which obviously would not be a required talent as an international team manager.

IMO his biggest talent is getting the best out of his players from a motivational point of view, a bit like Martin O'Neill.

He'd be a great international manager from that point of view. I agree he's not very tactically astute but beggars can't be choosers, he'd by far the best option for Ireland that's anyway realistic at all. I've said already though that I think he's just out of our reach.

kksaints wrote: »
    At this stage it would be more respectful if we could a bit of sense out of his interviews even if he speaks Italian and lets the translator do what she is paid for.

She's the one and only reason i want Trap staying on!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Redknapp :pac: Keep dreaming! He was on close to 5 million at Spurs, only pĺace he's going is back to the Prem or somewhere nice and hot where he doesn't pay tax like Dubai.

I'm not sure about bringing McCarthy back really, but his track record of working with limited players speaks for itself. I'd take him over Trap now anyway! Another continental manager might not be a bad shout. I honestly can't see Hughton leaving the Prem right now for this job. Same for McDermott.

I could see it being someone mediocre and someone Dunphy would have a heart attack over. Someone like Gary Megson.

In a dreamworld: Marcelo Bielsa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I thought the English were bad wanting Redknapp instead of Capello and here are Irish fans calling for the same. Couldn't make it up.

We are a poor lot. That is the unpleasant fact. There is a reason why Schweinsteiger and Xavi and other top players when asked to talk about Ireland's threat make reference to Trap - BECAUSE WE HAVE NO WORLD CLASS PLAYERS THAT THEY FEAR.

We have about the same quality as Scotland and Wales and have managed to punch above their weight due to our manager. When this media campaign led by the tabloid rags is successful the majority will rue the day they hounded a superbly qualified man out of the job.

I thought the English were bad wanting Redknapp instead of Capello and here are Irish fans calling for the same. Couldn't make it up.

We are a poor lot. That is the unpleasant fact. There is a reason why Schweinsteiger and Xavi and other top players when asked to talk about Ireland's threat make reference to Trap - BECAUSE WE HAVE NO WORLD CLASS PLAYERS THAT THEY FEAR.

We have about the same quality as Scotland and Wales and have managed to punch above their weight due to our manager. When this media campaign led by the tabloid rags is successful the majority will rue the day they hounded a superbly qualified man out of the job.

Oh please just shut up!! We're not all led by the media! How you can defend Trapattoni is laughable. We lost six one at home. End of story. On your bike Trap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

monkey9 wrote: »
    Oh please just shut up!! We're not all led by the media! How you can defend Trapattoni is laughable. We lost six one at home. End of story. On your bike Trap.

Lovely response. Very compelling case.

United lost 6-1 at home to a City team that were actually on their level (unlike Ireland and Germany). Maybe Fergie should have been sacked too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

Rafa Benitez. Not possible though probably.

• Advertisement
Advertisement