Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who else is there? Who to replace Trap if he went tomorrow?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭briany

SantryRed wrote: »
    I'm sorry but this is bollocks. Trappatoni does the exact same thing and gets 11 men behind the ball?

Trap is defensive and negative - Kerr was defensive and negative, although I wouldn't say Kerr was defensive to the same extent but could be very negative. Both managers, it would seem, lost the dressing room. Ireland doesn't need another coach like either of these two. Ireland needs a serious coach with a cohesive plan for bringing the team into the 21st century, to attempt to play the modern game or actually, maybe more preferably, to play some type of game that will be effective against it. I don't think an Irish team will ever play football with quite the finesse of even a lowlier ranked European side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Laois_Man wrote: »
    After tomorrow, we haven't got a competitive game again until late March. The FAI would be likely to do their usual trick on saving wages and leave the position vacant for 3 or 4 months if Trapp goes next week. So it's about who will be available come next February or so!

Martin O'Neill - Sunderland are having a disappointing season so far. If it gets worse, he could become available and would probably be the best option for us if he did!

Curbishley, Coyle, Mick McCarthy, McDermott (if he was sacked by Reading) and Strachan - possibly.

Alex McLeish - a former Rangers manager is a definite no go. Even if he was a good manager! Same goes for Souness

Kerr, Kinnear, Fenlon, Aldridge, Dalglish, O'Leary or Tardelli...All no...definately no!

Hughton - undecided. I'm in 2 minds about him!

Somebody said Joe Royle - I like that idea! (WTF does it matter how long ago he managed). But there's no chance he'd be considered!

Harry Redknapp! NO! He'll shaft us as soon as a half interesting Premier League job gets put under his nose! He wouldn't be a good international manager anyway!

We need someone who knows and respects obscure players in SPL, EPL and English championship. So the likes of Co Adriaanse. Rafa Benitez, Dick Advocate or Bert Van Marjwick are out!

I take it nobody would actually suggest Pep Guardiola in a serious way! Anyone suggesting David Moyes is stupid! There probably isn't any manager who would leave a Premier League club to manager Ireland. Possibly not even a top half Championship club even!

Roy Keane - I thought apparent player revolt was the problem we are trying to solve here rather than the problem we're trying to create or exacerbate!

I think your are fairly spot on with the names mentioned above,

The only guy I can think of that is not listed and fits the description 'someone who knows and respects obscure players in SPL, EPL and English championship' is Sean O' Driscoll, he has been around the championship a few years with varied success, plus he is Irish.

Alex McLeish - a former Rangers manager is a definite no go. Even if he was a good manager! Same goes for Souness

Why? :confused:

Who cares who they managed/played for? Surely their talent as a manager is what counts. Fúck the bigots.

I don't think either are great managers anyway tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

The only guy I can think of that is not listed and fits the description 'someone who knows and respects obscure players in SPL, EPL and English championship' is Sean O' Driscoll, he has been around the championship a few years with varied success, plus he is Irish.

+1, I'd have Mick back or give O'Driscoll a go, altho he would prob be reluctant to leave Notts Forest seeing as they've just got new mega rich owners. Maybe he could do both?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

gosplan wrote: »
    Because of his record in qualifying campaigns. He's now in his third qualifying campaign and that's his second match lost in the qualifying group stage.

Obviously whether or not there's any point in qualifying is up for debate but if you go by his record then one of two things will happen.

1: We'll finish third having lost to Sweden or if they mess up we'll get to a play off and lose that when drawn against someone better than us.

2: We'll get an easy draw in the play off, arrive at the world cup, narrowly beat the Saudi Arabia type team in our group and get shown up against the Mexico and Spain ones.

I agree with your points but it's important to note that our performances under Trap have always been atrocious. Nonetheless we've always manged to get three points where we should be getting three points, and this has moved Ireland forwards in the ranking, something his predecessors couldn't manage since 2002.

If it's this vrs the average Irish managerial performance over the last two decades, then I take this. Secure ranking, give Trap a chance - all his records show he'll have us in the mix towards the end, and then change at a natural time in the WC/Euros cycle.

Also, I think pointing to the last five games doesn't give a fair reflection. Southampton lost the first four game this season by a cumulative score of 14-4 or something. do we take into account that they played Arsenal, City and Utd or do we just sack the manager?

All that said, I think it's clear we'll never do well against a top level team but Trap still has a chance in this group depending on how well Sweden do.

But the way we have played so far in this group and in the three games in Poland what makes you think that we can do anything v Sweden or Austria.?

It's all well and good to talk about the guys record but the here and now is that we have been hammered at home by Germany, and got away with day light robbery against 147th ranked Kazakhstan, I'll say that again 'got away with day light robbery against 147th ranked Kazakhstan'

There is nothing happing in this set-up that gives me any confidence they can beat decent teams like Sweden and Austria, and to be fair I would not be one bit suprised if we failed to win tomorrow.

So now is the time to make the change and get someone new in, trying new players, formations etc.

I would not mind seeing McCarthy back, failing that I'd give Curblishey a go.

I agree with you actually. It's hard to see how Trap can turn it around and the most worrying thing isn't the losses to big teams but the lack of drive in the team since the euros.

Nonetheless, he deserves a chance to turn it around.

I personally don't think he will but I don't think anyone else available could come in and get us out of this group either so he should be allowed the chance to try.

BTW, not you but some of the stuff here is laughable. People should look at how other countries rate the Irish players rather than what we think of them ourselves. And it's beyond retarded to say thatTrap did't solidify our national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

I'll tell you EXACTLY the type of coach Ireland need.

We need a Brendan Rodgers someone with a proven track record of getting players and making them perform beyond their expectations (Swansea)

He's revamping the system at Liverpool and making them a good passing team, it's not happened so far this season but that will take time for players to adjust to a completely new system but it's what we need. Rodgers trusts his players Both Aggar and Skjertel are not passing players but they're doing it from the back and trying to adapt a new system.

I don't know if I'd want rodgers but someone with his same mentality would do me.

Failing that Mick :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I'll tell you EXACTLY the type of coach Ireland need.

Grand.

Now tell us EXACTLY the pub Robbie was in having an eye opener pre match.

Some of the names being suggested are comedy really. I reckon Arry would really fancy this project mind. He seems to especially have a decent rapport with younger, less experienced players. Hughton would be a gamble. He has done reasonably well in a short space of time but I reckon for the long term we need someone of more proven pedigree.

Would not have minded Hodgson. Great record, completely shafted by Liverpool, did well with WBA and seems to be laying the foundations of a strong, if not particularly exciting, English squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Why? :confused:

Who cares who they managed/played for? Surely their talent as a manager is what counts. Fúck the bigots.

I don't think either are great managers anyway tbh.

It's very easy to say fúck the bigots when you don't have to live with it, but would Souness or McLeish be able to safely walk down a street in Glasgow again if they took the Ireland job?

We're agreed they're not suited for the role anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I personally think the biggest problem under Trap has been him ignoring certain young players from the starting 11.

Seamus Coleman, aged 24, has 5 international caps. A player who is playing for Everton, a side who would finish in the top half most seasons, for the last 3-4 years.

James McCarthy, aged 21, has 7 international caps. Another player who is playing first team football for a Premier League side for the last 3-4 years.

And then we look at Paul Green, who at 29, has 12 international caps since 2010, and is a Championship player (Doncaster, Derby & Leeds), at best. How on earth Paul Green has even one international cap is beyond me.

That's just 3 examples of Trap's ignorance with team selections. He should've resigned after the Euros, and when he didn't, should've been sacked.

I know a lot of people are saying that Germany would've beaten us no matter what manager was in charge, but I personally think it's been a long time coming.

---

As far as who we should look at in replacing Trap, McCarthy would never come back, Keane would kill Delaney, and most PL managers wouldn't take the job now. Coyle would be my choice, he did a great job with Burnley. But knowing the FAI, we'll wait until Hughes is sacked by QPR and get him.

• Advertisement

Macca07 wrote: »
    I personally think the biggest problem under Trap has been him ignoring certain young players from the starting 11.

Seamus Coleman, aged 24, has 5 international caps. A player who is playing for Everton, a side who would finish in the top half most seasons, for the last 3-4 years.

James McCarthy, aged 21, has 7 international caps. Another player who is playing first team football for a Premier League side for the last 3-4 years.

And then we look at Paul Green, who at 29, has 12 international caps since 2010, and is a Championship player (Doncaster, Derby & Leeds), at best. How on earth Paul Green has even one international cap is beyond me.

That's just 3 examples of Trap's ignorance with team selections. He should've resigned after the Euros, and when he didn't, should've been sacked.

It is no coincidence that the worst players in the squad are nearly the only ones Trap has not fallen out with. McShane and Green are likely completely baffled but grateful as to how in the name of god they are actually playing international football and so keep the hed down and dont rock the boat. It is the lads who know they are better eligible for those twos places who seem to get into Traps bad books and banished/ refuse to play. McShane is sent out to Palace on loan by Hull, he is deemed to be a reservist utility plyer by fcuking Hull at 26 years of age, and as for Green he was without a club during the Euros, and yet Trap reckons they should be mixing it up with the great and the good in qualifiers and tournaments? Defensively minded 11 men behind teams like San Marino would have misgivings about playing McShane at the very back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

It is no coincidence that the worst players in the squad are nearly the only ones Trap has not fallen out with. McShane and Green are likely completely baffled but grateful as to how in the name of god they are actually playing international football and so keep the hed down and dont rock the boat. It is the lads who know they are better eligible for those twos places who seem to get into Traps bad books and banished/ refuse to play. McShane is sent out to Palace on loan by Hull, he is deemed to be a reservist utility plyer by fcuking Hull at 26 years of age, and as for Green he was without a club during the Euros, and yet Trap reckons they should be mixing it up with the great and the good in qualifiers and tournaments?

Totally forgot about McShane, another one who shouldn't be left near the pitch, a poor mans Gary Doherty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Totally forgot about McShane, another one who shouldn't be left near the pitch, a poor mans Gary Doherty.

At least the Doc chipped in with a few goals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

If I was ever described as a poor mans Gary Doherty I'd hang myself

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭CrazySka

Lovely response. Very compelling case.

United lost 6-1 at home to a City team that were actually on their level (unlike Ireland and Germany). Maybe Fergie should have been sacked too.

Its going back a few pages but thats the worst comparison I've ever seen, maybe if Trappatoni had been with us for a couple of decades and won a tournament at some stage it would make some kind of sense.

As an outsider it would appear that togetherness has gradually degraded within the camp since he has taken over, its been a very gradual degradation over a long period that seems to have been partly caused by negative tactics and a failure to trust the ability of players old and new along with Trappatonis seemingly poor interpersonal relations with the players.

His record has to be respected but the facts say our performances have not been good enough over the last number of games for him to continue as the manager, if it was anybody else there would be absolutely no question about this, if he was Lawrie Sanchez we would be saying that the manager has lost the players and hed be gone.

Personally if he would take it I would jump on the Mick bandwagon in second, I think hed restore team spirit from practically the first game and get the players wanting to play for Ireland again, anyone saying he is a bad manager needs their head examined in fariness, he has done well wherever he went, every manager cant manage the very top teams and the decision by Wolves to let him go probably cost them their top flight status and definitely destroyed the stability he had built up there.

Would he take it after being treated badly by the FAI last time around is the real question.

Looks like he is about to drop Manuela.................to the floor

Trappatoni, manager, football lover and woman beater

resize_smr.html?image=smr-main-image1813.jpg&new_width=470&new_height=200

• Advertisement

Sin City wrote: »
    Looks like he is about to drop Manuela.................to the floor

Given his standard of English it is possible she has been laying out her own ideas while he gibbers in Trappish during training, it would explain how he has fallen so badly :pac:

Given his standard of English it is possible she has been laying out her own ideas while he gibbers in Trappish during training, it would explain how he has fallen so badly :pac:

Ha ha images of Alister McGownas sketch of Sven and Nancy English Team talk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

For me, the key characteristic I would be looking for would be a motivator.

International management is different to club management, you don't get the time to coach the players really, you are not going to improve them.

I think the life had been sucked out of the current crop, they have been coached to fear deviations from a system that has grown tired too. They are not enjoying playing for the country anymore, and it looks to me like they have lost faith in the system and he who employs it. I'm actually worried about travelling to the Faroes, I think Kerr would have loved to be taking on this Irish team if he had still been there.

I don't like many of the names being mentioned here, it really is a tough one though. I don't like the idea of having to wait until this campaign is over.

As it stands I don't think we have a chance for second spot. I'd rather a new man get a shot now than him having to hit the ground running with a new campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

For me, the key characteristic I would be looking for would be a motivator.

International management is different to club management, you don't get the time to coach the players really, you are not going to improve them.

I think the life had been sucked out of the current crop, they have been coached to fear deviations from a system that has grown tired too. They are not enjoying playing for the country anymore, and it looks to me like they have lost faith in the system and he who employs it. I'm actually worried about travelling to the Faroes, I think Kerr would have loved to be taking on this Irish team if he had still been there.

I don't like many of the names being mentioned here, it really is a tough one though. I don't like the idea of having to wait until this campaign is over.

As it stands I don't think we have a chance for second spot. I'd rather a new man get a shot now than him having to hit the ground running with a new campaign.

Tactics would be a big one for me too. Trap's have shown to be outdated when playing a technically gifted opposition- can't use the ball well or win it back.

He's finally gone 3 in midfield but I'm not sure anyone knows what they're doing with it.

I still think he should be given the campaign though - or at least until we start losing to teams we should be beating.

The team's been through hell. An awful euro's followed by a load of retirements. The first four or five picks for captain last year were all missing the other night. It was a team devoid of self belief, shorn of all it's natural leaders, and once the first went in they knew they were beaten and acted accordingly.

A load if the blame belongs to Trap but not all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Regarding the defensive run, a lot of those games were friendlies. Thought it was a bit much at the time going on about such a great run in non-competitive games.

Better view would be to look at our qualifying group and playoff, where we kept 6/12 clean sheets and conceded 8 goals. Still pretty decent, but nothing amazing. Obviously we've shown since that against better opposition we're pretty shaky in defence.

Correct. In the 2006/2007 Euro qualifiers Stan managed 5/10 clean sheets. Trap's record is nothing special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Pro. F wrote: »
    Correct. In the 2006/2007 Euro qualifiers Stan managed 5/10 clean sheets. Trap's record is nothing special.

Bit of a warped way of looking at it.

Trap wins in Cyprus - Stan gets whooped 5-2 and we pretend Trap's defensive record is nothing special?

Some points:

1) Trap only lost two group games

2) His clean sheets run came with an additional few games due to actually qualifying for the play-offs.

3) Trap is unbeaten away.

Lets not get too rabid in our desire to tear down the last four years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Alan Matthews?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,991 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Felexicon wrote: »
    If I was ever described as a poor mans Gary Doherty I'd hang myself
    You are a poor mans Gary Doherty.

noodler wrote: »

Trap wins in Cyprus - Stan gets whooped 5-2 and we pretend Trap's defensive record is nothing special?

Some points:

2) His clean sheets run came with an additional few games due to actually qualifying for the play-offs.

Stan was an absolute disaster as a manager, one of the worst professional managers I've ever seen, and yet he still managed 5 clean sheets out of 10 qualifiers. It shows that clean sheets aren't that hard to come by in International qualifying groups. Stan also only lost two group games in that campaign.

Trap is better than Stan, obviously. That is nothing special. Trap has a decent clean sheets record, but it is nothing special. It is even less special when you consider that his whole game plan involves playing conservatively in every game, even against minnows.

People holding Trap's clean sheet record up as proof of something special going on with this team's defending are ignoring the fact that the clean sheet record is nothing special.

Some points:

Stan managed a 0-0 and a 1-0 with Germany and whopped Sweden 3-0 and Denmrk 4-O............Im just sayin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Stan managed a 0-0 and a 1-0 with Germany and whopped Sweden 3-0 and Denmrk 4-O............Im just sayin

1-1 and 0-1 with Czech Rep too (a FIFA world top 10 team at the time).

Dead rubber game with Germany? Ireland couldn't qualify and Germany already had.
    Others were friendlies which we don't count apparently.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    1-1 and 0-1 with Czech Rep too (a FIFA world top 10 team at the time).

Wow. Celebrating an awful performance in a 1-0 defeat.

These "when you really think about it, Trap isn't much better than Stan" stuff is truly ridiculous.

Dead rubber game with Germany? Ireland couldn't qualify and Germany already had.

Wow. Celebrating an awful performance in a 1-0 defeat.

These "when you really think about it, Trap isn't much better than Stan" stuff is truly ridiculous.

Stan beat Slovakia once
    Did Trap?

Who said that? I threw a stat out there and made no comment on it. It's seems its not enough for you to just talk your own crap, you have to try do it for others too.

Don't be fúcking stupid, nobody is saying that.

• Advertisement

Stan beat Slovakia once
    Did Trap?

Well, Slovakia were actually a good bit better when Trap played them (World Cup qualified, got to the last 16 etd etc) if you want to play that card.
    Don't be fúcking stupid, nobody is saying that.

No, of course not, the last few pages have just been an exercise in fúcking theory?
    Who said that? I threw a stat out there and made no comment on it. It's seems its not enough for you to just talk your own crap, you have to try do it for others too.

Don't get me started on the level of crap and vitriol you spout every day, even before the Euros were two games old. Given doesn't look so bad now after getting hammered 6-1 at home by the way, does he?

You are the worst type of fan, I don't know if you ever played the game but your attitude must be truly awful.

That was his first competive game and only lost 1-0

No, of course not, the last few pages have just been an exercise in fúcking theory?

People were talking up Trap's clean sheet record as if it proves the team are particularly good defensively so I showed how it is not actually that impressive. Even Staunton managed only a slightly inferior run.

That does not mean that anybody was saying that Trap isn't much better than Stan.

How can you not follow that simple flow of discussion? What the fúck is wrong with you?

Don't get me started on the level of crap and vitriol you spout every day, even before the Euros were two games old. Given doesn't look so bad now after getting hammered 6-1 at home by the way, does he?

You are the worst type of fan, I don't know if you ever played the game but your attitude must be truly awful.

You're hilarious. By the end Given was getting beaten from 30+ yards by Estonians and racking up assists for the opposition, but you'd have him the team because of some misguided notion you have about his current ability. Now Given can't even get into the Aston Villa XI because of the USA reserve goalkeeper but you'd probably have him back in a heartbeat because of whatever fixation you still have with him.

Westwood let in six on Friday but at least wasn't punching the ball right into the path of the oncoming opposition, cowering on his line at corners or fluffing long range shots blasted right at his body.

You're absolutely clueless.

People were talking up Trap's clean sheet record as if it proves the team are particularly good defensively so I showed how it is not actually that impressive. Even Staunton managed only a slightly inferior run.

That does not mean that anybody was saying that Trap isn't much better than Stan.

How can you not follow that simple flow of discussion? What the fúck is wrong with you?

Nothing is "wrong" with me, you are just unable to see both sides of a discussion. Its all criticism without the ability to recnognise any positives whatsoever.
    You're hilarious. By the end Given was getting beaten from 30+ yards by Estonians and racking up assists for the opposition, but you'd have him the team because of some misguided notion you have about his current ability. Now Given can't even get into the Aston Villa XI because of the USA reserve goalkeeper but you'd probably have him back in a heartbeat because of whatever fixation you still have with him.

Westwood let in six on Friday but at least wasn't punching the ball right into the path of the oncoming opposition, cowering on his line at corners or fluffing long range shots blasted right at his body.

You're absolutely clueless.

Hahah.

Ah, here we go.

First we had your moronic (nevermind utterly disrespectful) "grass is greener on the otherside" comments about Given during the Euros and you wishing he would retire.

Now the replacement, who has played two and half games in the last ten months lets in 7 in the campaign and you still persist.

Given had every right to retire but to argue he still wouldn't be first choice was just ridiculous.

Anyway, off you go to make your little snide, bitter comments at every turn.

And "fixation"? Jesus Christ, when every second comment you made in the summer had the word "Given" in it? Pot.Kettle.Black.

Nothing is "wrong" with me, you are just unable to see both sides of a discussion. Its all criticism without the ability to recnognise any positives whatsoever.

I can recognise the positives just fine. Putting Trap's clean sheet record in context doesn't mean I don't recognise any positives, nor does it mean that I think Stan was just as good as Trap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

doesnt look like he's gone now, does it, unless FAI decide to let him go and more importantly, they have the funds to pay him off which most dont think they do,
    plus going by FAI history, in past , they pick a worse manger next time trying to be cheap and after pressure , will then change that manager,
    even if trap left in morning and thats not happening

we dont have good enough players as in full good squad to go to Brazil, whats even worse than a manager is we haven't had a leader on the field , we need a leader on the field to kick the players into touch when they mess up, with the manager,

hopefully we get 3 points tomorrow and then till next game,
    we need more friendly's , try out more options and players, we all know whats need ,
    maybe its a late wakeup call for trap but i dont's see that

doesnt look like he's gone now, does it, unless FAI decide to let him go and more importantly, they have the funds to pay him off which most dont think they do

I disagree!

We won't qualify for Brazil if Trapp stays (alto chances are we won't qualify anyway) so Trapp's contract effectively has only 13 months to run. If he gets sacked within the next week, the position won't be filled for another 5 months or so. That leaves a period of only 7 months where the FAI are paying 2 managers concurrently. When you think of it like that, it doesn't sound insurmountable.

Plus, to say the FAI can't afford even that is a false economy. We still have home games against the likes of Faroe Islands, Austria and Khazachstan in the next year. If Trapp sees out his contract, the FAI won't sell enough tickets for those 3 fixtures combined to fill the Aviva stadium even once (probably even if we're right in contention to get to the playoffs til the end). And they know this. Whereas appointing a new manager who will drum up some fanfare and enthusasim will more than pay for itself.

Plus we don't know what Dennis O'Brien's intentions are in all of this!

Hahah.

Ah, here we go.

First we had your moronic (nevermind utterly disrespectful) "grass is greener on the otherside" comments about Given during the Euros and you wishing he would retire.

Now the replacement, who has played two and half games in the last ten months lets in 7 in the campaign and you still persist.

Given had every right to retire but to argue he still wouldn't be first choice was just ridiculous.

Anyway, off you go to make your little snide, bitter comments at every turn.

And "fixation"? Jesus Christ, when every second comment you made in the summer had the word "Given" in it? Pot.Kettle.Black.

Talk about moronic comments? You just manage to look even more foolish with each post. Keep it up though, it's quite entertaining listening to you spouting your ill conceived crap.

BTW, I'm still waiting for a reply on the Ireland v Spain thread. You know the one where we discussed matters for days and you had a little fun repeatedly calling me a liar and accused me of having a "vendetta" against Trap?

I found it interesting that you were never slow to reply on that thread, that is until I actually demonstrated unequivocally that your "vendetta" accusation against me was not true & that *you* in fact were lying. After that you suddenly went all quiet and had nothing more to say on the matter.

Can I just take it that you accept you were lying and talking out of your ass in that instance but were too gutless to even acknowledge it? Don't worry, I already know the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

I disagree!

We won't qualify for Brazil if Trapp stays (alto chances are we won't qualify anyway) so Trapp's contract effectively has only 13 months to run. If he gets sacked within the next week, the position won't be filled for another 5 months or so. That leaves a period of only 7 months where the FAI are paying 2 managers concurrently. When you think of it like that, it doesn't sound insurmountable.

Plus, to say the FAI can't afford even that is a false economy. We still have home games against the likes of Faroe Islands, Austria and Khazachstan in the next year. If Trapp sees out his contract, the FAI won't sell enough tickets for those 3 fixtures combined to fill the Aviva stadium even once (probably even if we're right in contention to get to the playoffs til the end). And they know this. Whereas appointing a new manager who will drum up some fanfare and enthusasim will more than pay for itself.

Plus we don't know what Dennis O'Brien's intentions are in all of this!

i dont agree

why should dennis o brien pay off trap , because you and some fans what it
    are you 100% sure Ireland will reach Brazil without trap, do you honestly believe ireland will qualifie with the bunch of players we have under different manager, dream on

we dont have enough good quality players , will take till next euros if we lucky to get a better team together

true fans will go to match and true fans will support the team regardless , so called fans won't support the team

do you honestly think we had a chance againist Germany , most saw 2-3 -0 to germany at best with what we have for players

you have to go back a decade to find a better team than we had
    and we had a leader on the field

we had a lot of so called manger since , trap just another one and the next manager probably wont be any good either

why do you think we can't get a good manager ??

Not that I want himor anything but nearly the only name that has not been touted this time is Venebles. Pretty odd considering he was on the brink of being offered the job until (if you believe what he would tell you) Dunphy blackened his name with the FAI (if Tel reckons the FAI pander to the every word of Eamon Dunphy that in itself tells you the depth of knowledge he has about Irish football :pac:)

Assuming that Denis O'Brien isn't going to keep paying the bills, Mick McCarthy would seem to be the most sensible option.

I do like Mick and have good memories of all that he achieved last time. But I've been worrying about the possibility of him taking charge when reading this thread. As some people have pointed out he has had some very poor spells in club management since he left us. Some of the times at Sunderland and Wolves were shambolic. I don't know, it's just a bit worrying.

i dont agree

are you 100% sure Ireland will reach Brazil without trap, do you honestly believe ireland will qualifie with the bunch of players we have under different manager, dream on

we dont have enough good quality players , will take till next euros if we lucky to get a better team together

true fans will go to match and true fans will support the team regardless , so called fans won't support the team

do you honestly think we had a chance againist Germany , most saw 2-3 -0 to germany at best with what we have for players

we had a lot of so called manger since , trap just another one and the next manager probably wont be any good either

Denis O Brien is going to pay Trap off because the FAI want it, not because some fans want it
    Anyway it may be part of the deal between the FAI and O Brien that if Trap is to be sacked then O' Brien has to contribute to the pay-off.

You seem to suggest that people believe that getting rid of Trap will ensure qualification for the next WC

I think you are being a bit disingenuous here.

The job of a new manager is to get the team back in order, try get those who have left the fold to come back, introduce new players etc.
    If they go on a run and get to the play-offs then that is a bonus, but it should not be the only goal of a manager.
    And I think a lot of people know that

If Trap were left for this campaign and Ireland were to make it to the play-offs then there would be only one managerial outcome, Trap would retire and Tardelli would take over, which is the last thing I would want to see.

The time for change is now

i dont agree

Please read my post PROPERLY!

I did not say Dennis O'Brien should pay off Trapp. I said we don't know what his intentions are - i.e. does he intend to continue paying half the salary of the Irish manager going forward. This is obviously a hugely important factor.

Also, I did not say Ireland will reach Brazil without Trapp. I clearly stated "We won't qualify for Brazil if Trapp stays (alto chances are we won't qualify anyway)"

As for real fans supporting the team regardless, the last number of times we played meaningless matches at the Aviva were the 0-0 draw against Croatia and the 3-2 defeat by Uruguay where the attendances was only 20,000. For the Nations Cup games against Scotland, Wales and N Ireland at the Aviva ALL had attendances which were below that. And the home fixtures against Austria, Faroe Islands, Sweden and Kazakhstan all become as meaniingless as those fixtures if the results go pear shaped in the next 2 qualifying games away from home. And the upcoiming friendlies against Grecce and Poland will be played in a near empty Aviva also - even worse than above. So I don't think we have as many "true fans" as you think who are willing to spend the money!

"Do you honestly think we had a chance againist Germany" - Actually, I honestly thought we'd had a very good chance of doing A LOT better than 1-6 against them if we have a manager who instills belief and a system in his players where the best players are chosen for each position. True, most saw 2/3-0 defeat to Germany - but you seem happy to remain at that level of expectation. If we were playing Germany at home again in a year from now, I'd expect the same again if Trapp is still manager. If he is replaced by the right person who develops the team and inspires them, surely we can at least expect to perform as respectably against Germany as the might of Austria and Faroe Islands!!

Please read my post PROPERLY!

I did not say Dennis O'Brien should pay off Trapp. I said we don't know what his intentions are - i.e. does he intend to continue paying half the salary of the Irish manager going forward. This is obviously a hugely important factor.

Also, I did not say Ireland will reach Brazil without Trapp. I clearly stated "We won't qualify for Brazil if Trapp stays (alto chances are we won't qualify anyway)"

As for real fans supporting the team regardless, the last number of times we played meaningless matches at the Aviva were the 0-0 draw against Croatia and the 3-2 defeat by Uruguay where the attendances was only 20,000. For the Nations Cup games against Scotland, Wales and N Ireland at the Aviva ALL had attendances which were below that. And the home fixtures against Austria, Faroe Islands, Sweden and Kazakhstan all become as meaniingless as those fixtures if the results go pear shaped in the next 2 qualifying games away from home. And the upcoiming friendlies against Grecce and Poland will be played in a near empty Aviva also - even worse than above. So I don't think we have as many "true fans" as you think who are willing to spend the money!

"Do you honestly think we had a chance againist Germany" - Actually, I honestly thought we'd had a very good chance of doing A LOT better than 1-6 against them if we have a manager who instills belief and a system in his players where the best players are chosen for each position. True, most saw 2/3-0 defeat to Germany - but you seem happy to remain at that level of expectation. If we were playing Germany at home again in a year from now, I'd expect the same again if Trapp is still manager. If he is replaced by the right person who develops the team and inspires them, surely we can at least expect to perform as respectably against Germany as the might of Austria and Faroe Islands!!

The official number of real fans is somewhere below 33,2000

That is the number that attended the Ireland v Macedonia game in 2010, it's the lowest attendance to date for a competitive game at the Aviva and the lowest for a good number of years

Take out of them the suits, barstoolers, prawn sandwiches, bankers etc and you probably have a a number somewhere between 25K and 30K

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Assuming that Denis O'Brien isn't going to keep paying the bills, Mick McCarthy would seem to be the most sensible option.

I do like Mick and have good memories of all that he achieved last time. But I've been worrying about the possibility of him taking charge when reading this thread. As some people have pointed out he has had some very poor spells in club management since he left us. Some of the times at Sunderland and Wolves were shambolic. I don't know, it's just a bit worrying.

The good news is he can't buy any defenders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Having reading through the suggestions in this thread I must say I'm feeling a lot less worried about the possibility of Trap staying on as manager.

Could you imagine the horrors of somebody like Dalglish? I've spent long enough laughing at the mess he made at Liverpool to wince even at the prospect of him managing a team I care about.

The successor would need to be somebody based outside of the EPL, it's a kick and chase league and one in decline. If we want someone to bring us forward we need someone from a better technical league.
    I don't trust the FAI to have the nonce to recognize that, although they did get their last appointment in Trap correct there was still the Stan fiasco before that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We could sell this job to Harry. Ignored by the English, chance to get revenge with the Irish, a bit like Jack!!

Downlinz wrote: »
    I don't trust the FAI to have the nonce to recognize that

I'm fairly sure you meant to use a different word there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Apart from him being a little bit mad is there any reason why David O'Leary wouldn't make a good international manager? As long as he was available cheap I wouldn't object to him getting the job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement