Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who else is there? Who to replace Trap if he went tomorrow?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Anto McC

Apart from him being a little bit mad is there any reason why David O'Leary wouldn't make a good international manager?

Yeah. He's rubbish. He paid money for Eric Djemba-Djemba for gods sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

We could sell this job to Harry. Ignored by the English, chance to get revenge with the Irish, a bit like Jack!!

I'd always be worried with Harry that if a decent job offer with an English club came along, that he would jump ship. For instance, if Brendan Rodgers was sacked (I expected Harry to be offered the job before him actually) then maybe he would consider it. Or even the Chelsea job if Roman saw fit to get rid of Di Matteo and fails to appoint his dream recruit in Pep Guardiola.

Redknapp still has a good reputation I imagine, even if Daniel Levy slightly tainted it.

Plus, by the time we pay off Trap and the rest of his crew (and if O'Brien failed to fund the wages of the next manager) I don't think we could afford him.

Anyway, after much reading I thought I would give my choices:

Realistic - Mick McCarthy
    Dream - Otto Rehhagel :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

i dont agree

why should dennis o brien pay off trap , because you and some fans what it
    are you 100% sure Ireland will reach Brazil without trap, do you honestly believe ireland will qualifie with the bunch of players we have under different manager, dream on

we dont have enough good quality players , will take till next euros if we lucky to get a better team together

true fans will go to match and true fans will support the team regardless , so called fans won't support the team

do you honestly think we had a chance againist Germany , most saw 2-3 -0 to germany at best with what we have for players

you have to go back a decade to find a better team than we had
    and we had a leader on the field

we had a lot of so called manger since , trap just another one and the next manager probably wont be any good either

why do you think we can't get a good manager ??

It's the manner of defeat, we created two shots in the game. Germany could have scored 10 if they continued to try instead of just sitting back. Losing isn't what people are giving out about, but its the manner of defeat.

Also the awful performance against kazak's shouldn't be ignored, we didn't even deserve a point out of that game to be honest.

Also let's not forget the shocking performance at the euro's. And the managers unwillingness to use the best players. I mean how is ward ahead of premiership Wilson. How is o dea ahead of Clark...

Many many others too in terms of players...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Denis O Brien is going to pay Trap off because the FAI want it, not because some fans want it
    Anyway it may be part of the deal between the FAI and O Brien that if Trap is to be sacked then O' Brien has to contribute to the pay-off.

You seem to suggest that people believe that getting rid of Trap will ensure qualification for the next WC

I think you are being a bit disingenuous here.

The job of a new manager is to get the team back in order, try get those who have left the fold to come back, introduce new players etc.
    If they go on a run and get to the play-offs then that is a bonus, but it should not be the only goal of a manager.
    And I think a lot of people know that

If Trap were left for this campaign and Ireland were to make it to the play-offs then there would be only one managerial outcome, Trap would retire and Tardelli would take over, which is the last thing I would want to see.

The time for change is now

FAI won't get rid of trap unless they pay him off and at moment it doesnt suit them
    getting rid of manager won't make much difference , maybe a couple of new managers later and better players , Ireland has a hope , maybe
    both manager and also players have to accept both there part in outcome,
    after all its a team effort ,
    you assume if trap left , ireland will get to playoffs, not a chance , wishful dreaming . we dont have the players , never had ,
    people here a under a dream cloud that changing the manager will suddenly make ireland play better . we dont have good players, and trap's style didnt help this either
    if ireland got to Brazil which i dont see happening what ever happens as ireland not good enough , but if they did
    same thing as in euros, top teams will kill them off fast
    so it doesnt look good

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Please read my post PROPERLY!

I did not say Dennis O'Brien should pay off Trapp. I said we don't know what his intentions are - i.e. does he intend to continue paying half the salary of the Irish manager going forward. This is obviously a hugely important factor.

Also, I did not say Ireland will reach Brazil without Trapp. I clearly stated "We won't qualify for Brazil if Trapp stays (alto chances are we won't qualify anyway)"

As for real fans supporting the team regardless, the last number of times we played meaningless matches at the Aviva were the 0-0 draw against Croatia and the 3-2 defeat by Uruguay where the attendances was only 20,000. For the Nations Cup games against Scotland, Wales and N Ireland at the Aviva ALL had attendances which were below that. And the home fixtures against Austria, Faroe Islands, Sweden and Kazakhstan all become as meaniingless as those fixtures if the results go pear shaped in the next 2 qualifying games away from home. And the upcoiming friendlies against Grecce and Poland will be played in a near empty Aviva also - even worse than above. So I don't think we have as many "true fans" as you think who are willing to spend the money!

"Do you honestly think we had a chance againist Germany" - Actually, I honestly thought we'd had a very good chance of doing A LOT better than 1-6 against them if we have a manager who instills belief and a system in his players where the best players are chosen for each position. True, most saw 2/3-0 defeat to Germany - but you seem happy to remain at that level of expectation. If we were playing Germany at home again in a year from now, I'd expect the same again if Trapp is still manager. If he is replaced by the right person who develops the team and inspires them, surely we can at least expect to perform as respectably against Germany as the might of Austria and Faroe Islands!!
    it doesnt make a difference who is manager as FAI have poor track record getting good managers outside jack ,
    we dont have the players , thats always been there , even before trap
    we dont have a leader on the field to boss the lads around, , robbie keane or o shea are not leaders on the field , dunne a better choice as leader , given was a good leader but left ,
    you have to go back at least a decade to pick a better team and had a leader on the field, our pick of managers by FAI was poor
    i dont agree with traps setup but i understand why some of his choices when you see whats there in players,
    the chances are trap will stay till either ireland gets into the playoffs or doesnt make it to Brazil, unless he looses every single game before then,
    it doesnt look good either way , thats being realistic

Pro. F wrote: »
    Assuming that Denis O'Brien isn't going to keep paying the bills, Mick McCarthy would seem to be the most sensible option.

I do like Mick and have good memories of all that he achieved last time. But I've been worrying about the possibility of him taking charge when reading this thread. As some people have pointed out he has had some very poor spells in club management since he left us. Some of the times at Sunderland and Wolves were shambolic. I don't know, it's just a bit worrying.

mick mccarthy , no way , better off with podge and rodge as managers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Nutsy

It's the manner of defeat, we created two shots in the game. Germany could have scored 10 if they continued to try instead of just sitting back. Losing isn't what people are giving out about, but its the manner of defeat.

Also the awful performance against kazak's shouldn't be ignored, we didn't even deserve a point out of that game to be honest.

Also let's not forget the shocking performance at the euro's. And the managers unwillingness to use the best players. I mean how is ward ahead of premiership Wilson. How is o dea ahead of Clark...

Many many others too in terms of players...

trap will probably go but i dont see it happening before Brazil
    FAI track record when it comes to picking managers over last 2 decades
    why can't FAI attract a good manager , trap was a good manager but didnt seem to have faith in the players offered or just went mad in defense
    thats no excuse when you consider the way the irish team keeps loosing the ball, can't pass or hold onto the ball, poorer teams pass and hold onto the ball better, its a problem ireland has had over 3 managers ,
    theres parts to this is manager fault and parts are players fault, these are so called pro's wsho can pass for clubs good but not in irish shirt, is it money, not getting money for them to play better,
    theres more than a manager problem here , even if manager was changed , the players need to step up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

FAI won't get rid of trap unless they pay him off and at moment it doesnt suit them
    getting rid of manager won't make much difference , maybe a couple of new managers later and better players , Ireland has a hope , maybe
    both manager and also players have to accept both there part in outcome,
    after all its a team effort ,
    you assume if trap left , ireland will get to playoffs, not a chance , wishful dreaming . we dont have the players , never had ,
    people here a under a dream cloud that changing the manager will suddenly make ireland play better . we dont have good players, and trap's style didnt help this either
    if ireland got to Brazil which i dont see happening what ever happens as ireland not good enough , but if they did
    same thing as in euros, top teams will kill them off fast
    so it doesnt look good

Can you take a look at your computer machine, it does not seem to be displaying the things other posters type correctly, beacuse I am now the second poster who is asking you to 'Please read my post PROPERLY!

Where did I 'assume if trap left , ireland will get to playoffs' ?

I said getting to the play-offs would be a bonus under a new manager, but the real benefit would be getting the players back that Trap has P**ed off, and getting the players he has ignored into the side in a more regular basis in meaningful games.

Holding on to Trap only means one of two things

1. A disaster of a campaign leaving a new coach to take over in Oct 2013, with only friendlies between then and Sept 2014

2. A campaign that results in a playoff or better, Tarp's retirement and Tradelli's accession to the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Comparing Trap to past managers doesn't work. Big Mick's squad would have put five past Trap's one also. There is no way McCarthy would get the success he enjoyed previously with the current crop of players.

• Advertisement

Can you take a look at your computer machine, it does not seem to be displaying the things other posters type correctly, beacuse I am now the second poster who is asking you to 'Please read my post PROPERLY!

Where did I 'assume if trap left , ireland will get to playoffs' ?

I said getting to the play-offs would be a bonus under a new manager, but the real benefit would be getting the players back that Trap has P**ed off, and getting the players he has ignored into the side in a more regular basis in meaningful games.

Holding on to Trap only means one of two things

1. A disaster of a campaign leaving a new coach to take over in Oct 2013, with only friendlies between then and Sept 2014

2. A campaign that results in a playoff or better, Tarp's retirement and Tradelli's accession to the job.

i see you try this with others, surprise ;)
    why, is you pc broken :)

doesnt matter if trap goes or not, ireland not good enough
    will take till the next euros if we even get partly better as a team reguardless

what players, reid , ireland , get real
    ireland always had a poor passing team , famous for long ball , look at jack as manager , kerr, mc'carthy

irelands luck ran out
    trap hasn't helped either , and neither has the players ,
    they didnt look like pro's as players on field in second half other night

did you look for kerr's head and mc'cartheys head to be sacked as managers when they did poorly by any chance ?

mitosis wrote: »
    Comparing Trap to past managers doesn't work. Big Mick's squad would have put five past Trap's one also. There is no way McCarthy would get the success he enjoyed previously with the current crop of players.

did mcCarthys irish team players pass the ball better and hold onto the ball better , did he have a better captain as leader on the pitch ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

If we had a joint managerial team of Pele & Maradonna we'd still be crap, we don't have the quality of player to be any better than mediocre.

21/25

uch wrote: »
    If we had a joint managerial team of Pele & Maradonna we'd still be crap, we don't have the quality of player to be any better than mediocre.

totally agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

did mcCarthys irish team players pass the ball better and hold onto the ball better , did he have a better captain as leader on the pitch ?

Anyone trying to argue that the 2002 qualifying team wasn't substantially better is fooling themselves.

Just having Roy Keane on the pitch made them tough to beat. He was one of the most effective players in the world from '98 - '02. Then you had Holland, Kinsella, Kelly - all captains of Premiership sides at the time. Finnan, Reid, Duff, Keane, Given were all young and talented. Staunton and Quinn had seen it and done it all. The weak links were Harte, Breen and Kilbane which says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

True, Maradona is an awful manager :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Anyone trying to argue that the 2002 qualifying team wasn't substantially better is fooling themselves.

Just having Roy Keane on the pitch made them tough to beat. He was one of the most effective players in the world from '98 - '02. Then you had Holland, Kinsella, Kelly - all captains of Premiership sides at the time. Finnan, Reid, Duff, Keane, Given were all young and talented. Staunton and Quinn had seen it and done it all. The weak links were Harte, Breen and Kilbane which says it all really.

Exactly just look at this game v Germany in 2002

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qq1MQMkbms

Even in injury time and 1-0 down then keep the ball on the ground

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Ireland hasn't had a good leader on pitch since roy keane, Ireland need that and for long time , how about dunne, he's no roy keane but better than some we have

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Pele would make sure we were stiff competition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Trap made sure we were stiff opposition for four years in fairness.
    i see you try this with others, surprise ;)
    why, is you pc broken :)

doesnt matter if trap goes or not, ireland not good enough
    will take till the next euros if we even get partly better as a team reguardless

what players, reid , ireland , get real
    ireland always had a poor passing team , famous for long ball , look at jack as manager , kerr, mc'carthy

irelands luck ran out
    trap hasn't helped either , and neither has the players ,
    they didnt look like pro's as players on field in second half other night

did you look for kerr's head and mc'cartheys head to be sacked as managers when they did poorly by any chance ?

Setting the sights high I see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Maradonna
    the same Maradonna that was in charge when Germany hockeyed them 4-0 in the last world cup?

noodler wrote: »
    Trap made sure we were stiff opposition for four years in fairness.

Setting the sights high I see.

being realistic
    in being realistic , the players have to answers too for things not going right , not just manager

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Anybody who says that the collection of players available for selection can't be forged into the team that passes the ball better and can defend in a more organised manner isn't paying attention. We have a fine collection of technically gifted midfielders and forwards. We are a bit lacking on depth in defence but still have some quality when the first choices are available.

Maybe getting a good manager would be very difficult, but a good manager would definitely get better performances and results with this team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Pele would make sure we were stiff competition.

icon14.png

Advertisement