Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to catch an escaped hamster

• 13-10-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭

Hi guys just popped home from work to find my hamster has escaped from his cage, hes in the sitting room somewhere but god knows where, any suggestions on the best way to catch him, I have a box on the floor with some of his bedding and his favourtie treats in it but other than that ive no other ideas

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

Hi guys just popped home from work to find my hamster has escaped from his cage, hes in the sitting room somewhere but god knows where, any suggestions on the best way to catch him, I have a box on the floor with some of his bedding and his favourtie treats in it but other than that ive no other ideas

thanks

Thought this link might help u http://exoticpets.about.com/od/hamsters/a/losthamster.htm

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,950 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Put his cage on the floor with the door open, he'll go home when he needs a drink unless he gets stuck somewhere. Keep the sitting room door closed. Check he hasn't climbed up a fold in the curtains if they floor length, if not tie them up so he can't (that's a big drop!). Keep your ears open and if necessary you may have to cut a hole in your furniture if he has got stuck inside the couch or something. If you haven't founf him by now he'll be asleep, you'll have to wait until night time before you'll hear him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Janedoe10 wrote: »

thanks

Thought this link might help u http://exoticpets.about.com/od/hamsters/a/losthamster.htm

Good luck

Try and turn off power to the plugs, at least if he decides to nibble he won't get electrocuted. He's very possibly asleep somewhere at the moment, so very quietly try looking around. Hamsters like walls and corners, so he's probably holed up somewhere like that.

If you can't stay waiting in the room for him to appear, try getting a deep box that he couldn't climb out of and building 'steps' up to it with books. Put a food/treat trail up the steps. Hopefully when you come back he will have ventured out for a 'midnight' snack and got into the box bit can't get out!

The only other thing is pulling the place apart but that'll terrify him, so that's a last resort. Most of all don't worry too much, I had a hamster when I was a kid who escaped,my parents woke up a few days later at 3am with her watching them from a hole she had eaten halfway up their curtains! They can survive quite a long time. Might be good to leave a dish with a bit of water out though so even if you dot catch him he can still stay hydrated.

Best of luck and let us know when you find him, the little scamp!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

The bucket trap is the best, couple of books as stairs, tasty food at the bottom of the bucket, he won't be able to get out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Do the bucket trap but also put the cage on the floor as well, so you have twice the chance of catching him. A little bit of cooked ham or a bit of strawberry is usually a hamsters favourite as a lure. (Yes they can eat tiny amounts of meat).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Get a dog.

there is the friendly rat trap things, the ones that just capture them.
    happens even the best of us :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

about ten yrs ago i had a pet hamster, he was missing for a whole week, i found the little mite inside in a press under sink he had a whole half turnip, guess t he turnip kept him hydrated, and he had been kept in sitting room in his cage,

i would advise you to switch off the lights when it gets dark as that is when they get active, keep quiet and listen for a while for the little mite, then you may be able to pen down his exact location, could be gone up into the stuffg of couch, could be.
    that is how i caught him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Had a hamster that got out years ago. I just put his fav snack on the floor and was lucky enough to grab him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Be on the lookout in the early hours of the morning.
    Found mine at 2am wandering about after a weeks vacation and not a bother on him.

Hope you find him soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

thanks for all the suggestions guys, no sign so far but hes normally asleep around this time will let ye know when the little brat turns up:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

just to let you know hugo is now back in his cage

in case anyone is wondering the bucket trap idea worked, hes a sucker for grapes:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

we all have our weakensses,
    Hugo is not different,
    i am glad you found him.
    i love those little mites, they are so entertaining,

Advertisement