Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Liverpool FC ever be back??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Wasn't as simple as that. Johnson obviously wasn't worth 17 million, but Pompy owed us close to 11 million for Crouch - money which obviously wasn't going to ever get paid (nobody Pompy owed ever got paid after they went into administration), so a deal was struck - pool sign him for a real figure of 6 million and Pompy strike off the debt they owed us. They were never going to be able to pay anyway, but anything that 'on paper' reduced their debt was a good thing.

On our side, we had an asset which we could claim as being 17 million - which counts as a positive for the club (as club which at the time was doing everything it could to raise it's 'paper-value).

Somewhat similar deal with Aquilani, in that the debt they owed us for Riise was wiped off against it.

So in essence, no he wasn't backed sufficiently - he was strictly limited in the clubs he was allowed to buy from. That was a time when actual backing, on the targets he wanted, could have saved the club fortunes in the long run.

I would rather Rafa's judgement in the transfer market over anyone else we've had over the last 15 - 20 years. Especially when you factor in some of the players he really wanted at decent prices, but wasn't allowed to buy, who have since multiplied hugely in value (Villa before Valencia, Aguero before Atleti, Dani Alves long before Barca, Falcao before porto) - Maddening.

Assuming that's true, instead of writing off the Portsmouth debt against say Krancjar or Diarra or even taking Crouch back, they added an extra 6 million for a very average right back? And then to top that, he sold Arbeloa to Real 5 million, so what he essentially did was swap what turned out to be a good right back for an average one for a 1 million loss. That's still really poor business! And I'm assuming you're referring to the Riise deal when you're saying Roma owed money? So Riise went to Roma for about 4 million? So they needed to tack on an extra 15 million or so just to recoup their relatively small debt from Roma for an injured player? And even if these very implausible stories are true, how does Benitez explain any one of Robbie Keane, Josemi, Ryan Babel, Andrea Dossena, Jermaine Pennant, Craig Bellamy, Jan Kromkamp, David Ngog, Philip Degen, Charles Itandje Alberto Riera or Mauricio Pellegrino? And the story goes that he tried to sell Alonso the year before to bring in Gareth Barry, before Alonso went and had the season of his life and then he sold him anyway! Supposedly he was offered Sneijder as well, which is plausible seeing as how Inter only paid 12 million for him, and turned that down! Rafa made some awful buys for big money and had as much a part in Liverpool's decline as the previous Americans.

Maybe the Aguero story is true, but he'd just bought Torres that year for 30 million FFS, there aren't many clubs with another 20 to throw on top for an unproven 20 year old Argentinian! I'd wonder about the Falcao one, seeing as how that's the year he paid nearly 40 million for Johnson and Aquilani, but couldnt afford 4 million for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

token101 wrote: »
    Assuming that's true, instead of writing off the Portsmouth debt against say Krancjar or Diarra or even taking Crouch back, they added an extra 6 million for a very average right back? And then to top that, he sold Arbeloa to Real 5 million, so what he essentially did was swap what turned out to be a good right back for an average one for a 1 million loss. That's still really poor business!
    Arbeloa had 1 year left on his contract and wasn't signing a new deal. He's from Madrid, spent most of his career from youth level up with Madrid, and they wanted him back. He was gone regardless. That answers your question as to who to bring in from Pompy - the standout right back of the previous season. As for your opinion on Johnson being 'average', well, thats just that - you're opinion. One which I don't share, and obviously considering his consistent starting position for both Liverpool and England under a myriad of different managers, one which quite a few others disagree with too.
    There was no "adding on 6 million". They didn't get the 11 million. It gets written off the debt. A debt which wouldn't have been paid anyway, but when shifted on paper suited everyone - it's a fairly clear situation that benefits both teams.
    And I'm assuming you're referring to the Riise deal when you're saying Roma owed money? So Riise went to Roma for about 4 million? So they needed to tack on an extra 15 million or so just to recoup their relatively small debt from Roma for an injured player?
    Yup, I'm referring to the Riise deal, which is why I said "the debt they owed us for Riise was wiped off against it"
    Tack on? Rafa was quite obviously in a position where purchases were limited to clubs who owed us money. Especially clear due to the fact these are the clubs we did business with. It turned out to be a bad purchase, and one which may not have occurred if Rafa wasn't limited in who he could deal with.
    And even if these very implausible stories are true, how does Benitez explain any one of Robbie Keane, Josemi, Ryan Babel, Andrea Dossena, Jermaine Pennant, Craig Bellamy, Jan Kromkamp, David Ngog, Philip Degen, Charles Itandje Alberto Riera or Mauricio Pellegrino? And the story goes that he tried to sell Alonso the year before to bring in Gareth Barry, before Alonso went and had the season of his life and then he sold him anyway! Supposedly he was offered Sneijder as well, which is plausible seeing as how Inter only paid 12 million for him, and turned that down! Rafa made some awful buys for big money and had as much a part in Liverpool's decline as the previous Americans.
    What do you mean "explain"? Noone is saying he was infallible, he made plenty of mistakes - mostly lower value players. The point is he made plenty of great ones, and he has made more good signings than anyone else who has managed the club over the past 20 years.
    Some of those above are awful examples on your part however. Riera was a very valuable player in the league chasing season. Fell out with the manager, but as a purchase, it was an astute one. Pellegrino was free, and came in on a 6 month contract to help bed in Rafa's system. Came back as a coach later. Hardly a bad deal. Ngog and Bellamy both earned nice profits when sold on.

The Alonso issue is one everyone has a different opinion on, though most could agree that he had 2 poor seasons by his standards when he was up for sale. As with any player, he had a price. That wasn't met. He stayed. And your "he sold him anyway" comment - kind of ridiculous considering the chap had an offer to be part of the new Madrid project as the heartbeat of the team, and he wanted to raise his young child back in Spain. He wanted to go. I love Alonso, but lets not pretend he was a poor sensitive soul chased out of the club by big bad Rafa.

Rafa had as big a part in the clubs decline? Rafa is the reason why there was ever an incline to begin with!
    Maybe the Aguero story is true, but he'd just bought Torres that year for 30 million FFS, there aren't many clubs with another 20 to throw on top for an unproven 20 year old Argentinian!
    Timing backwards here. The mooted Aguero deal was the year before we signed Torres. Whether or not we could afford the risk, the point is that Rafa spotted the value in the kid, same as he did with so many others, some of whom we bought, some of whom we didn't. Also, Torres was 20mill, not 30.
    I'd wonder about the Falcao one, seeing as how that's the year he paid nearly 40 million for Johnson and Aquilani, but couldnt afford 4 million for him.
    Obviously, as was pointed out above Johnson involved significantly less money than you seem to think. And Aquilani, as Roma themselves show on their website, was a deal we would pay for in small increments over years.

Instead of being all "Rafa was so stupid and so wasteful", have a think and see if logically it makes sense at all. If the club were in so much debt, which we obviously know they were - do you think he would have been allowed to spend this 40 million your proposing? Or is it maybe more logical that the moves were made for reasons such as the ones I've detailed? I really get the impression reading your post that you're simply taking the "negative rafa" angle, and then tacking on your argument around it, rather than looking at the situation and seeing what made sense under the circumstances. Pretty sad way to go about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Anybody supporting Rafa, obviouslty hasnt read the official quotes from his book, that he did indeed wanted Robbie Keane and that he felt Xabi Alonso was surplus to requirements and the best option to get the money in to buy Gareth Barry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

bullvine wrote: »
    Anybody supporting Rafa, obviouslty hasnt read the official quotes from his book, that he did indeed wanted Robbie Keane and that he felt Xabi Alonso was surplus to requirements and the best option to get the money in to buy Gareth Barry.

Oh, right, so that means he goes from good manager to bad manager?

So what if he wanted Robbie Keane? He bought him, it didn't work out, he sold him with only a small loss. It's not like Robbie Keane is Francis Jeffers or something, he's obviously a quality player, as his many many years serving the likes of Spurs and Ireland are testement to.

And yup, at the time when Alonso was underperforming, Rafa saw him as someone who could be sold to raise money to add more consistency to the team, but he obviously valued him, as he kept him when an offer he considered sufficient (around 15 million at the time) didn't come in. Both men, being the grown ups that they are, got on with it and both had terrific seasons working together.

And before anyone goes on about Gareth Barry - lets just remember that last season he started 31 games in centre midfield for the league winners, hmm?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

bullvine wrote: »

Alonso wasnt playing well though when Barry was touted as his replacement, he turned a decent liverpool side into one of the best teams in europe and brought some wonderful nights to anfield, do you expect people not to support him because he signed robbie keane.

It's funny some Liverpool fans complaining about Rafa benitez given how far we have fallen since he left.

Getting to the latter rounds of the biggest club competition and consistently finishing top 4 not enough for you?

Just shows you some of the genius's we have following our club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

niallo27 wrote: »
    Alonso wasnt playing well though when Barry was touted as his replacement, he turned a decent liverpool side into one of the best teams in europe and brought some wonderful nights to anfield, do you expect people not to support him because he signed robbie keane.

This is correct. Alonso had a couple of relatively poor years up to 08/09 when he came to life again. Whether it was Benitez' inability to get him to play well or the fact that midfielders usually peak a bit later, it's up to whomever wants to discuss it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

Fans of Liverpool....What did you think of our last two seasons compared to Rafa's last two?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

Rodgers is the right guy for the long term, the issue (again) lies with ownership. The Dempsey deal falling through was absolutely insane, its grand having a structure but in this case there should have been flexibility shown.

The situation will reach a head in the next 6-12 months. With the season the red sox have just had and the problems Henry's cash cow has, it would not surpise me if a large portion of the club was up for sale again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I do love threads like these. It's a a great way to filter out complete idiots fairly quickly so you can ignore them in future.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Fans of Liverpool....What did you think of our last two seasons compared to Rafa's last two?

In Rafa's 2nd last season he came 2nd in the league with liverpools highest points total in a long time so how can you even compare it with the last two seasons. I did enjoy wembly last year it must be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Liverpool related stuff, (whether the umpteen supporters threads the lads get through, the regular Pool bashing threads, and the "concerned" threads not so thickly disguised as Pool bashing threads) make up an staggering % of overall posts in this forum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I do love threads like these. It's a a great way to filter out complete idiots fairly quickly so you can ignore them in future.
    Also shows up the oversensitive, precious little souls. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭doc_17

In Rafa's 2nd last season he came 2nd in the league with liverpools highest points total in a long time so how can you even compare it with the last two seasons. I did enjoy wembly last year it must be said.

Yeah, that's kind of the point I was making. The past 2 seasons (and propbaly this one the way it's shaping up) have been disastrous. Does anyone seriously belive we'd be in the bottom 3rd of the table had Rafa still been here?

There's no convincing the anti-Rafa brigade but even they would have to admit that things have gone pear shaped since he left

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Also shows up the oversensitive, precious little souls. :)

And the trolls. Can't be forgetting the trolls either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Liverpool will be back. They have a huge support base and if/when they get to a new, bigger stadium they will still fill it week in, week out.

Some clubs that were up near the top (or at least punching well above their weight) and then imploded were clubs that gambled and lost and subsequently paid the price (see [and no offence to supporters of these clubs]: Leeds, Bradford, Charlton, etc.).

Other clubs faded for a bit and looked to be done, but are back fighting and clawing their way back to the top (Juventus, Dortmund, etc.)

Liverpool are in the second category. They didn't gamble or overspend and thus they won't implode woefully badly. Yes, top 4 finishes are beyond the current set up (hard to see them finishing ahead of any of City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal at the moment; even finishing ahead of others like Spurs or Newcastle would be a task), but they are in no danger of relegation or any of that.

They have faded a bit in the last few seasons, but that said, it was not that long ago they were challenging for the title, winning the Champions League, getting to the knockout stages of the Champions League, etc.

I also don't buy this crap that Liverpool fans are deluded and think they should be winning. Most Liverpool fans I know are realistic and pragmatic; they know and accept that their team is not on the same level as they were 3/4 years ago and other teams have vastly improved as they have not. They know that only by winning the Carling Cup last year are they in a European competition this season.

Liverpool are experiencing the cyclical nature of football at the moment. They will be back eventually. Might take some time, but it will happen.

I remember when I was a teenager, and Man United were going through a rough patch (not as rough as this, by any means, but rough by their standards). This was from 2003 to 2006, approximately. Arsenal and Chelsea both were kings of the domestic game, Liverpool were also rampaging around, while United seemed to be struggling. I even remember some rumours of Fergie retiring. What happened? Come the 06/07 season, United reclaimed their domestic crown, and the following season did a League and Champions League Double.

Chelsea have also suffered downturns in recent seasons from the heights they once occupied. Of course, everyone knows what happened to Chelsea a few months ago; all their poor form was forgotten and they captured the Holy Grail (finally). But there is no question that the current squad (while attractive and playing well at the moment) is not a patch on what was on offer back in 04/05, 05/06 or 09/10, well, in my own opinion anyway. This current squad may be brilliant, but unless they can lift a piece of major silverware come May, I won't be a true believer. I'm still waiting for the December Crisis...

I'm not saying once Liverpool start to claw their way back up that they will be winning leagues or that, but they will start to play better and Anfield will become a place to be feared once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Will United ever be back?

I think Fergie should have left while the going was good and before City came to the fore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

djPSB wrote: »
    Lol :D You might want to wait for them to go away first....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

DazMarz wrote: »
    Liverpool will be back. They have a huge support base and if/when they get to a new, bigger stadium they will still fill it week in, week out.

Some clubs that were up near the top (or at least punching well above their weight) and then imploded were clubs that gambled and lost and subsequently paid the price (see [and no offence to supporters of these clubs]: Leeds, Bradford, Charlton, etc.).

Other clubs faded for a bit and looked to be done, but are back fighting and clawing their way back to the top (Juventus, Dortmund, etc.)

Liverpool are in the second category. They didn't gamble or overspend and thus they won't implode woefully badly. Yes, top 4 finishes are beyond the current set up (hard to see them finishing ahead of any of City, United, Chelsea, Arsenal at the moment; even finishing ahead of others like Spurs or Newcastle would be a task), but they are in no danger of relegation or any of that.

They have faded a bit in the last few seasons, but that said, it was not that long ago they were challenging for the title, winning the Champions League, getting to the knockout stages of the Champions League, etc.

I also don't buy this crap that Liverpool fans are deluded and think they should be winning. Most Liverpool fans I know are realistic and pragmatic; they know and accept that their team is not on the same level as they were 3/4 years ago and other teams have vastly improved as they have not. They know that only by winning the Carling Cup last year are they in a European competition this season.

Liverpool are experiencing the cyclical nature of football at the moment. They will be back eventually. Might take some time, but it will happen.

I remember when I was a teenager, and Man United were going through a rough patch (not as rough as this, by any means, but rough by their standards). This was from 2003 to 2006, approximately. Arsenal and Chelsea both were kings of the domestic game, Liverpool were also rampaging around, while United seemed to be struggling. I even remember some rumours of Fergie retiring. What happened? Come the 06/07 season, United reclaimed their domestic crown, and the following season did a League and Champions League Double.

Chelsea have also suffered downturns in recent seasons from the heights they once occupied. Of course, everyone knows what happened to Chelsea a few months ago; all their poor form was forgotten and they captured the Holy Grail (finally). But there is no question that the current squad (while attractive and playing well at the moment) is not a patch on what was on offer back in 04/05, 05/06 or 09/10, well, in my own opinion anyway. This current squad may be brilliant, but unless they can lift a piece of major silverware come May, I won't be a true believer. I'm still waiting for the December Crisis...

I'm not saying once Liverpool start to claw their way back up that they will be winning leagues or that, but they will start to play better and Anfield will become a place to be feared once again.

Perma ban this fella.

He speaks way too much sense for these parts.

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I think Fergie should have left while the going was good and before City came to the fore.

This is one of the biggest problems around here. Something is being discussed genuinely with some good points being made and someone has to try turn it into Pool-United stuff. Its really sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

rarnes1 wrote: »
    He posted it like it was some big exclusive too :o

Not really,get it right man.

Chang confirmed he met with a fan but denies the allegations of threatening him.

That place is like a cult at times & we see the reaction if anybody criticises the club or posts something that fans deem to be offensive.
    The truth is that Liverpool won't be back anytime soon & they can live off their history for only so long.The longer the period of mediocrity continues,the harder it will be to attract the talent that's needed to drag them up the league table.

You have to respect what they achieved in the past but it's the here & now that counts these days.Look what happened when that history was relied on by bringing back Kenny,over £100 million wasted & the club in a worse position than before he arrived.Hodgson had similar success as him but was derided by fans & hounded out.

Leiva wrote: »
    Perma ban this fella.

Because he is saying what you want to hear.

The reality with Liverpool is that unless the FFP rules have some teeth and hit the oligarchs hard, or Liverpool get their own sugar daddy, it is going to take a near miracle for them to get close to success anytime soon.

People can talk about cycles and the past but we have never seen anything like what is happening today. History has no bearing on what these oil rich owners are doing. Sure, we had rich owners before - Jack Walker, Berlusconi etc - but this is on a whole different, richest people in the world level.

4th would be a marvelous achievement for Liverpool in this climate. I think their less crazy fans know this.

zerks wrote: »

Chang confirmed he met with a fan but denies the allegations of threatening him.

That place is like a cult at times & we see the reaction if anybody criticises the club or posts something that fans deem to be offensive.
    The truth is that Liverpool won't be back anytime soon & they can live off their history for only so long.The longer the period of mediocrity continues,the harder it will be to attract the talent that's needed to drag them up the league table.

You have to respect what they achieved in the past but it's the here & now that counts these days.Look what happened when that history was relied on by bringing back Kenny,over £100 million wasted & the club in a worse position than before he arrived.Hodgson had similar success as him but was derided by fans & hounded out.

What trophy did Hodgson win for us?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Because he is saying what you want to hear.

The reality with Liverpool is that unless the FFP rules have some teeth and hit the oligarchs hard, or Liverpool get their own sugar daddy, it is going to take a near miracle for them to get close to success anytime soon.

People can talk about cycles and the past but we have never seen anything like what is happening today. History has no bearing on what these oil rich owners are doing. Sure, we had rich owners before - Jack Walker, Berlusconi etc - but this is on a whole different, richest people in the world level.

4th would be a marvelous achievement for Liverpool in this climate. I think their less crazy fans know this.

No sane fan expects 4th, the gas thing around here is the liverpool fans are deluded yoke, a lot of people think the deluded make up the majority of the fans when it fact it's false. It's a deluded notion to have by others that we're deluded as a whole, we're not.

You'd wonder does he even follow football with the nonsense being posted.

Nah I wouldnt say less I would say the majority. But ain't that the wholes gist of this thread? Liverpool being "back".

Back- being in the CL again?
    Back- being successful in the domestic cups?
    Back- being a regular top 4?

Which is it?

For me a higher finish than last season and a domestic cup would be a successful season, and next year build from that and improve again.
    I'm a football fan and love cup finals no matter what cup. I'm not stupid and don't dismiss the CL qualification places, but as a fan I like winning silverware.

The club has a target set over the next three seasons to be qualifying( or there abouts) for the CL.. so a mix between what the club wants and what an LFC fan like myself wants sums up the post I replied to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Perma ban this fella.

Carded for back-seat modding. :pac:

My post was focused on the performance in the League.Dalglish was hailed as the returning hero & "the sleeping giant would awaken" but in reality things went backwards & a cup win merely papered over the cracks.

The farce of the Summer has also come home to roost with only one fit striker at the club who isn't exactly prolific & could get injured or banned at any time.

Maybe you or another 'pool fan can confirm it but did I read that the plans for a new stadium have now been shelved completely?

My post was focused on the performance in the League.Dalglish was hailed as the returning hero & "the sleeping giant would awaken" but in reality things went backwards & a cup win merely papered over the cracks.

The farce of the Summer has also come home to roost with only one fit striker at the club who isn't exactly prolific & could get injured or banned at any time.

Maybe you or another 'pool fan can confirm it but did I read that the plans for a new stadium have now been shelved completely?

No new stadium but a dynamic redevelopment of Anfield which really excites me.

More news tomorrow apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No new stadium but a dynamic redevelopment of Anfield which really excites me.

More news tomorrow apparently.

He'll stick the link on the Superthread next Friday.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DazMarz wrote: »

When Utd won their 7th league title when I was two years old, they won their 8th title when I was 28 years old. Sometimes this happens.

Actually that's not quite true is it? They won the Second Division title in 1975.

My post was focused on the performance in the League.Dalglish was hailed as the returning hero & "the sleeping giant would awaken"

Lol, no he wasn't. More lies.

Hodgson had us closer relegation zone when he was sacked. With Dalglish we finished 6th and 8th. How can even claim both managers has similiar success is beyond me. I think it just highlights your complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Typical a thread talking about the decline of Liverpool and somone has to bring up United

Maybe your memory isn't that great but last year we finished with 89 points after having a season riddled with injurys and poor performances, we lost the league on goal difference by 8 goals to the best team in the league who thumped us 6-1 at Old Trafford. Where did Liverpool finish again? 8th? Worst finish in the league for 18 years? After spending £80millon on Andy Carroll, Downing and Henderson.

Where are United in the league currently. 2nd? Where are Liverpool in the league currently? 14th with 1 win in 7 games.

Yes I can see your point now taking all of this into account UnitedLiverpool should be worrying about relegation this season :rolleyes:

But don't worry "this is your year"

Typical a thread talking about the decline of Liverpool and somone has to bring up United

Maybe your memory isn't that great but last year we finished with 89 points after having a season riddled with injurys and poor performances, we lost the league on goal difference by 8 goals to the best team in the league who thumped us 6-1 at Old Trafford. Where did Liverpool finish again? 8th? Worst finish in the league for 18 years? After spending £80millon on Andy Carroll, Downing and Henderson.

Where are United in the league currently. 2nd? Where are Liverpool in the league currently? 14th with 1 win in 7 games.

Yes I can see your point now taking all of this into account UnitedLiverpool should be worrying about relegation this season :rolleyes:

Next year is our year. Get with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Liverpool should focus on building and with these youngsters coming through they have hope that they can push on from inside. If Sterling, Wisdom, Suso etc can become top level players they'll have saved Liverpool millions. Liverpool need to strengthen and that would take funding. For example if they could strengthen by taking players off rivals e.g Baines, Ben Arfa etc

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Next year is our year. Get with it.

That's so last year .. You get with it :P

Hodgson had us closer relegation zone when he was sacked. With Dalglish we finished 6th and 8th. How can even claim both managers has similiar success is beyond me. I think it just highlights your complete lack of knowledge on the subject.

No holy grail of CL football or getting any nearer to winning the league,once a club finishes outside the top 4,nobody really cares (unless they are relegated) where they finish.
    Hodson was sacked mid-season,maybe things would have improved,maybe not but as it stands the club is still suffering from years of mediocre squads & a real lack of depth of quality.For every great result they seem to then go on a run of average at best results.The title will never go to Anfield with this trend continuing.
    The next transfer window will be interesting to see if the owners will back the manager or will they keep the purse strings tight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Everybodys wrong, last year was Liverpool's year........or was it the year before??:confused:

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Everybodys wrong, last year was Liverpool's year........or was it the year before??:confused:

/2 x 1

padd b1975 wrote: »

Next year..

So what your trying to say is Utd won **** all last year and liverpool won a trophy.

So what your trying to say is Utd won **** all last year and liverpool won a trophy.

^ fine example of Liverpool logic.

Liverpool, proud holders of the COC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

This year was never going to be our year will all the changes of personnel in and out.

But next year.....next year will be our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

No, no, you've got it all wrong. Next year is our year

• Advertisement

SaulGoode9 wrote: »

No, no, you've got it all wrong. Next year is our year

But next year was your year last year, so this year should be your year

But next year was your year last year, so this year should be your year

It's always next year, that's the rule.

Nah I wouldnt say less I would say the majority. But ain't that the wholes gist of this thread? Liverpool being "back".

Back- being in the CL again?
    Back- being successful in the domestic cups?
    Back- being a regular top 4?

Which is it?

For me a higher finish than last season and a domestic cup would be a successful season, and next year build from that and improve again.
    I'm a football fan and love cup finals no matter what cup. I'm not stupid and don't dismiss the CL qualification places, but as a fan I like winning silverware.

The club has a target set over the next three seasons to be qualifying( or there abouts) for the CL.. so a mix between what the club wants and what an LFC fan like myself wants sums up the post I replied to

Even this is an incredibly tough ask. United, Chelsea and City will blow you out of the water financially. Arsenal managed to greatly improve their side this summer, yet again at very little cost to themselves. Then you have Spurs and Newcastle who have proven themselves to have owners and staff at the club who know how to buy and sell players.

This isn't even taking into account the very real possibility that another team could be bought out by a rich owner. The reality for Liverpool is that they need a manager of Wenger or Ferguson's abilities or a huge cash injection to be spent by somebody with a bit of know-how.

It's great to see Liverpool playing their youths - a club that produced players like Fowler, Owen, McManaman and Gerrard in 10 years should never have gone so long without a player coming through to the first team - but the reality is that only a couple of those guys will be good enough to make it to the top. Money is where it is at nowadays, and Liverpool don't have enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

They haven't gone away you know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Jesus ****ing christ, what was a decent thread ruined by absolute ****wittery

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement