Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Liverpool FC ever be back??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Melion wrote: »
    Jesus ****ing christ, what was a decent thread ruined by absolute ****wittery

Back to sense,Rogers has called for FSG to back him in the transfer market & doesn't want a repeat of the shambles that went on in the Summer.What would be the outcome if promises are broken & the funds that are needed aren't made available or severely restricted?
    Would he walk away or struggle on with what he's got? Even the most die hard 'pool fan has to admit the squad just isn't up to it & all it takes is a bad run of injuries to really ruin the already below par season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Jesus ****ing christ, what was a decent thread ruined by absolute ****wittery

Its not a decent thread, its the usual bollox where people can see how many times they can use the words mid-table team in a page.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

niallo27 wrote: »
    Its not a decent thread, its the usual bollox where people can see how many times they can use the words mid-table team in a page.

Liverpool are a mid table team. What's the problem? The original question asked if they will get back to where they were in the 80's/under Rafa.

Liverpool are a mid table team. What's the problem? The original question asked if they will get back to where they were in the 80's/under Rafa.

I dont agree they are a mid-table team, i think they are under preforming for the squad they have and had over the last few years. I think it would take another 3 or 4 years of coming down the table before you can say liverpool are a mid table team, to me a mid table team is a team that comes maybe 8th to 14th season after season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I dont agree they are a mid-table team, i think they are under preforming for the squad they have and had over the last few years. I think it would take another 3 or 4 years of coming down the table before you can say liverpool are a mid table team, to me a mid table team is a team that comes maybe 8th to 14th season after season.

6th,7th and 8th the last 3 seasons. That's mid table in my eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

6th,7th and 8th the last 3 seasons. That's mid table in my eyes.

But next year will be our year B-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

darced wrote: »

What logic is this based on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Fergie staying or Fergie going . What would have been the difference?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

As big an issue as "Will Aston Villa get back?" or "Will Leeds ever get back?".

I say all these fallen giants cant make it back. Where would all the sugar daddy teams end up?

• Advertisement

You're obviously having trouble seeing what is going on at the top from your present vantage point.

I call midtable any team that doesnt qualify for Europe but doesnt battle relegation.

Blatter wrote: »
    What logic is this based on?

Boards.ie logic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

proud holders of the COC

Well....i laughed at least......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I call midtable any team that doesnt qualify for Europe but doesnt battle relegation.

Over a period of time or just any given season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    There are buckets and buckets of doubts. He has done nothing of such consequence in the game. He is inexperienced and facing a challenge far tougher than anything he has been tasked with before.

So what manager has faced (and conquered) the same challenge we are now facing Lloyd??

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Mid table for me is from 6th to 14th. 5th and 6th are usually close to 4th points wise and any team below 14th always has relegation on their mind in the latter stages of the season.

I've seen some people saying here before that anything after 4th is mid table, think that's a bit much IMO.

Mid table for me is from 6th to 14th. 5th and 6th are usually close to 4th points wise and any team below 14th always has relegation on their mind in the latter stages of the season.

Phew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Phew

We aite for now :cool:

• Advertisement

Liverpool have failed to qualify for Europe only once in the last 15 years or so though in fairness. How long does it take you to become a mid table team though, is it 3 years or 4 years or what. I think liverpool are better than a mid table team. Fulham and the sunderlands are mid table teams.

I would agree, I don't think ferguson has it in him to fight off another challenge, I think he has been caught out tactically lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

BenThere wrote: »
    So what manager has faced (and conquered) the same challenge we are now facing Lloyd??

Ben

First, I'd like to say that I'm fine with Rodgers having the job. He wasn't top of my list, but I like how he's gone about things so far. Obviously we want wins, but that's something i'm not going to judge till the latter half of the season when we see if his methods click.

If we finish in the same position as last season, but our second half of the season's performances have included consistently finding the net, I'd be ok with that.

This process is a marathon, not a sprint, and even if the worst happens and we struggle all year, and he should got fired, i think our players would be better players for having worked with him.

Now, with my position on that clear, Rafa faced, and conquered that challenge. The challenge being to take a bunch of players and get them to perform to - or above - their ability to hit the upper reaches of the table. He did it with Valencia, and he did it with us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I would agree, I don't think ferguson has it in him to fight off another challenge, I think he has been caught out tactically lately.

hahaha

sad that again united have to be brought into it but just on this crap you posted, havent you learned by now never to write him off?

if it makes you and your buddies feel better fine but talking about liverpool in this context is legitimate whereas putting united into this bracket is retarded.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Over a period of time or just any given season?

I would say 2-3 seasons is enough considering the difference in players you would attract in that period of time. It varies though. Blackburn went from title challengers to nowhere fast but Liverpool is a different case as they are a renowned club with a global fanbase.

Either way the above is moot as Liverpool wouldnt be a midtable team in my opinion as of yet based on lingering reputation alone. 2 more years of the current malaise = midtable club

hahaha

sad that again united have to be brought into it but just on this crap you posted, havent you learned by now never to write him off?

if it makes you and your buddies feel better fine but talking about liverpool in this context is legitimate whereas putting united into this bracket is retarded.

Have a look in the utd thread, your fellow fans are questioning his tactics lately, he can't go on forever, it's a reasonable question is he up to it again.

• Advertisement

I would say 2-3 seasons is enough considering the difference in players you would attract in that period of time. It varies though. Blackburn went from title challengers to nowhere fast but Liverpool is a different case as they are a renowned club with a global fanbase.

Either way the above is moot as Liverpool wouldnt be a midtable team in my opinion as of yet based on lingering reputation alone. 2 more years of the current malaise = midtable club

I would agree with you, two more years of coming 7th or 8th, then maybe you could call them a mid table side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Rafa was a great manager he was a victim of those idiots American owners. It's shame but I have a faith in Rodgers. Time to move forward

Have a look in the utd thread, your fellow fans are questioning his tactics lately, he can't go on forever, it's a reasonable question is he up to it again.

tactics is one thing, questioning his fight is ****ing stupid.

Agreed. There is nothing in Ferguson's recent management to suggest he has lost his "fight". He has made mistakes recently but he isnt infallible. Believing anything else is straw clutching in my opinion.

I'm not questioning his willingness to fight though, I'm questioning has he it in him again, he might well have. I'm not saying he won't do it but its not crazy to think at his age it's too much for him.

• Advertisement

I'm not questioning his willingness to fight though, I'm questioning has he it in him again, he might well have. I'm not saying he won't do it but its not crazy to think at his age it's too much for him.

you kinda did but sadly this has turned into something it shouldnt have and to anyone reading on my part im sorry.

my bad, back OT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Steady on there horse. City have won 1 league title and just about scraped it at that. United are not exactly lagging too far behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

People have been questioning his tactics forever.

Just to go back to your original comment, on what are you basing the statement that Fergie doesn't have it in him to fight off another challenge? Age?

City haven't been lighting it up this year and Chelsea have had the easiest first few matches they could have hoped for. As I've said since the start of the season, if United are within 6 points of the leaders by January, they'll win it.

Edit: Just realised that this is massively off-topic. Completely forgot it was a thread about Liverpool when I posted. How did it get on to this. Mental, if not unsurprising.

People have been questioning his tactics forever.

Just to go back to your original comment, on what are you basing the statement that Fergie doesn't have it in him to fight off another challenge? Age?

City haven't been lighting it up this year and Chelsea have had the easiest first few matches they could have hoped for. As I've said since the start of the season, if United are within 6 points of the leaders by January, they'll win it.

Edit: Just realised that this is massively off-topic. Completely forgot it was a thread about Liverpool when I posted. How did it get on to this. Mental, if not unsurprising.

I asked the question does he have it in him to fight off another challenge, I'm not sure he does, he has to stop sometime doesn't he, he can't go on forever, I hope the **** he can't anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Well as long as they don't end up 8 pts ahead with 6 games to go. lol sad face.

Bit of a freak event for us.
    Just like the time you lot challenged us for the title a few years ago :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Bit of a freak event for us.
    Just like the time you lot challenged us for the title a few years ago :pac:

?? Think you're mixed up there. Not a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Oh you're one of those. Cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Gary fcuking Hooper.

And what's your problem with Hooper???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

kfallon wrote: »
    And what's your problem with Hooper???

The same problem some people had with the suggestion of signing Jelavic last January - he's playing in the SPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

What do Liverpool think of the refusal of the owners to invest in a new stadium? Anfield is certainly not a stadium suitable for a club of Liverpool's size. I can't see how the £150 million set aside is going to make a huge difference in the quality of the stadium. I'd imagine £150 million is needed to even keep the stadium functional and safe into the future, never mind the increase in facilities, and capacity it obviously needs.

?? Think you're mixed up there. Not a Liverpool fan.
    Think I have you mixed up with someone else alright. Sorry about that.
    <insert derogatory remark about your club here> :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

saying this as a total neutral, success now generally follows the total wages paid, liverpool either need a sugar daddy or to expand stadium, sell naming rights etc... they cant compete if they arent on a level playing field & they currently are not. Also by compete I mean for the top 4... Stadium is currently 45k, what do they plan on increasing it to? 60 or 65k id guess, if they dont already have them they need the corporate boxes etc too...

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    What do Liverpool think of the refusal of the owners to invest in a new stadium? Anfield is certainly not a stadium suitable for a club of Liverpool's size. I can't see how the £150 million set aside is going to make a huge difference in the quality of the stadium. I'd imagine £150 million is needed to even keep the stadium functional and safe into the future, never mind the increase in facilities, and capacity it obviously needs.

Do you think its made of cardboard or something, why would they need that much to keep it safe, if they can turn anfield into a 60,000 seater for that money which they should be able to, i dont see any problem.

With all respect your totally wrong on all accounts.

The decision to redevelop Anfield is the correct one and nobody is refusing to invest.

I'm delighted with this decision and it makes complete sense as the club will be living within its means and not having to get the club in massive debt for an extra 15,000 seats.

If/when the council plans are completed successfully we will have a fantastic stadium without loosing any of the Anfield magic.

happy out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Blatter wrote: »
    The same problem some people had with the suggestion of signing Jelavic last January - he's playing in the SPL.

Yeah God forbid we might sign a centre forward who will score regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Do you think its made of cardboard or something, why would they need that much to keep it safe, if they can turn anfield into a 60,000 seater for that money which they should be able to, i dont see any problem.

I also said functional. Anyone who has been there can obviously see the stadium and facilities are outdated. Can you really expect one of the biggest clubs in the world to carry on for the long term future with poor seating, restricted views, terrible dressing rooms etc. Almost everything in the stadium needs to be updated, any Liverpool fan will tell you that. Perhaps they can get that done for £150M. I can't see it myself

• Advertisement

I also said functional. Anyone who has been there can obviously see the stadium and facilities are outdated. Can you really expect one of the biggest clubs in the world to carry on for the long term future with poor seating, restricted views, terrible dressing rooms etc. Almost everything in the stadium needs to be updated, any Liverpool fan will tell you that. Perhaps they can get that done for £150. I can't see it myself

:confused:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement