Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Liverpool FC ever be back??

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Have NESV announced where the money for the stadium revamp is coming from? Costs, any of that lark? I haven't been following it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

No, I can see them ending up like Leeds and getting relegated in the next few years with the help of Rodgers.
    Sign of the end is there recent LFC soap called 'Being Liverpool'. Would any top club like Manchester United, Barcelona or Juventus make a programme like this?? It just seems very tacky or something to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Have NESV announced where the money for the stadium revamp is coming from? Costs, any of that lark? I haven't been following it.

They have announced the intention to expand Anfield, they have not finalised any details yet, and they will have to work with the council to see what they can and can't do, and until then they won't be announcing any specifics or indeed costs, or by extension, how it's going to be financed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    I also said functional. Anyone who has been there can obviously see the stadium and facilities are outdated. Can you really expect one of the biggest clubs in the world to carry on for the long term future with poor seating, restricted views, terrible dressing rooms etc. Almost everything in the stadium needs to be updated, any Liverpool fan will tell you that. Perhaps they can get that done for £150M. I can't see it myself

Didn't know you got regular access to the dressing rooms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Stadium tour?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

They are part of the stadium tour

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Since he's been on a stadium tours he can fill us in on what makes them so terrible then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Maldjd23

No, I can see them ending up like Leeds and getting relegated in the next few years with the help of Rodgers.
    Sign of the end is there recent LFC soap called 'Being Liverpool'. Would any top club like Manchester United, Barcelona or Juventus make a programme like this?? It just seems very tacky or something to me.

Barcelona already did a few years back, it was on the BBC i believe. I also believe "Being Liverpool" is aimed at the American audience and if it raises club awareness in America i can't see the problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Since he's been on a stadium tours he can fill us in on what makes them so terrible then.

Tiny and outdated, with laughable marker tactics boards instead of digital ones, little facilities to treat injuries and old style big team baths instead of proper ice baths and showers.

But dont mind me, there's thousands of posts all over the Internet from season ticket holders much more knowledgeable than me about the many inadequacies of the current Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Tiny and outdated, with laughable marker tactics boards instead of digital ones, little facilities to treat injuries and old style big team baths instead of proper ice baths and showers.

But dont mind me, there's thousands of posts all over the Internet from season ticket holders much more knowledgeable than me about the many inadequacies of the current Anfield.
    Marker tactic boards? yeah thats why LFC are in the bottom half:rolleyes:

A lot of clubs still use the large team baths, Old Trafford still has them. I don't recall seeing what type of tactic board they have, but you can't argue with 12 Prem. titles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

yep just like an over excited 16yr old girl....

OMG !

post.of.the.day :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Leiva wrote: »
    yep just like an over excited 16yr old girl....

OMG !

post.of.the.day :pac:

Is this supposed to be funny or what?

I don't get what the problem is. By far the biggest critics of Anfield are the season ticket holders who are sick of restricted views, cramped seating and poor access..Character and history won't stop the place from becoming a modern day hovel without proper investment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Is this supposed to be funny or what?

I don't get what the problem is. By far the biggest critics of Anfield are the season ticket holders who are sick of restricted views, cramped seating and poor access..Character and history won't stop the place from becoming a modern day hovel without proper investment
    They have said they are going to redevelop Anfield at a cost of £150m. Why don't you wait until its done and then bang your drum if its not satisfactory?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

You never know. Doubt anyone could see United dominate back in the 70s & 80s. They were a basket case club until SAF.

Liverpool on the other hand have on great handicap. Their own support.
    For some reason they believe they have some right to be at the top because they were there for a while ages ago. They're not patient enough and most of all they can't work through their own problems because whatever happens, it's someone else's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Leftist wrote: »
    You never know. Doubt anyone could see United dominate back in the 70s & 80s. They were a basket case club until SAF.

For some reason they believe they have some right to be at the top because they were there for a while ages ago. They're not patient enough and most of all they can't work through their own problems because whatever happens, it's someone else's fault.

big statement that.

care to give us at least a couple of examples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Run away from here, run as fast as you can.

Leiva wrote: »
    big statement that.

care to give us at least a couple of examples.

Dalglish's behaviour over the suarez case.

Benitez using a presser to announce his rivals were engaging in a conspiracy.

There's blaming someone else infront of the camera (like most managers) and then there's the ingrained sense of being hard done by. Refs out to get us. Corruption at the fa.

You can't learn from your mistake if you blame everyone else from it, that's why imo, liverpool can't move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

A lot of the problems at Liverpool are caused by absolute shambolic transfer dealings since 2008, go and have a review of the transfers they have made since then. It doesnt make good viewing for the players on the pitch.

The playing staff with the exception of Suarez hasnt been improved since then. This has caused the team to go backwards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Maybe you know some Liverpool supporter's with this attitude but I don't and I am not one of them. Every fan of a football team wants their team to compete for everything available to them. You have to be a bit realistic sometimes and realise you may not win a league or a cup but you want them to go as far as they can for as long as they can and that's what I'd like for Liverpool as a supporter.

I don't expect, just because Liverpool dominated in the past, for them to win everything now. You earn your right to be up in the upper echelons of a league or the final stages of a cup tournament and lately LFC just haven't had what it takes to be up there.

bullvine wrote: »
    A lot of the problems at Liverpool are caused by absolute shambolic transfer dealings since 2008, go and have a review of the transfers they have made since then. It doesnt make good viewing for the players on the pitch.

The playing staff with the exception of Suarez hasnt been improved since then. This has caused the team to go backwards.

too many changes in management causes too much change-over in players? maybe. Rafa spent 228m over 5 years. Signing approx 76 players.

Liverpool cant compete financially? No. See below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19416223
    Millions spent since Jan 2003
    • 1. Chelsea 673
    • 2. Man City 572
    • 3. Liverpool 414
    • 4. Man United 352
    • 5. Tottenham 350
    • 6. Arsenal 214
    • 7. Aston Villa 201
    • 8. Sunderland 187
    • 9. Newcastle 174
    • 10. Everton 129
    • 11. West Ham 123
    • 12. Wigan 110
    • 13. Fulham 107
    • 14. Portsmouth 100
    • 15. Birmingham 92
    • 16. Blackburn 87
    • 17. Stoke 84
    • 18. Bolton 76
    • 19. Middsbrough' 71
    • 20. West Brom 64
    • Source: Deloitte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

In fairness, there are various reasons for Liverpool's decline in recent years (let's say from the year they challenged for the title in 08/09 to now)

- Overpriced, overrated and often panicky transfer dealings

- Disruption throughout the club by both the owners (Hicks & Gillette) and by changing around of managers with different styles and different relationships with players

- Falling behind in monetary strength (when compared to rivals) due to stadium size, lack of commercial expansion and owners who saw fit to draw money from the club

As much as I would like to throw a few daggers about here about Liverpool, it's hardly the fans fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

too many changes in management causes too much change-over in players? maybe. Rafa spent 228m over 5 years. Signing approx 76 players.

Liverpool cant compete financially? No. See below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/19416223
    Millions spent since Jan 2003
    I guess then you are suggesting they will be back and sooner rather than later given they have the finances?

As much as I would like to throw a few daggers about here about Liverpool, it's hardly the fans fault.
    It's not the fans fault that the club is where it is.
    There is however an "us against the world" attitude from senior figures at the club being ingrained into some fans incapable of making up their own mind.
    Whether it be blaming officials or claiming their players are being singled out etc.

This has got worse year on year as the clubs fortunes fall further.
    We wouldn't hear nearly as much about these things if they were doing well.
    There are a certain section of the Liverpool support that do believe they have a divine right to be successful and become increasingly bitter the longer they are not.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    It's not the fans fault that the club is where it is.
    There is however an "us against the world" attitude from senior figures at the club being ingrained into some fans incapable of making up their own mind.
    Whether it be blaming officials or claiming their players are being singled out etc.

This has got worse year on year as the clubs fortunes fall further.
    We wouldn't hear nearly as much about these things if they were doing well.
    There are a certain section of the Liverpool support that do believe they have a divine right to be successful and become increasingly bitter the longer they are not.

Maybe so, but is that attitude the reason for their decline?

Maybe so, but is that attitude the reason for their decline?
    Not saying it is. Just sick of hearing all the conspiracy nonsense that has gone hand in hand with the decline.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Not saying it is. Just sick of hearing all the conspiracy nonsense that has gone hand in hand with the decline.

Ah well, now we are in agreement ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

And the answer to the original question is a resounding

YES :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

BenThere wrote: »

After 3 games of the season, Liverpool are now "back"? Suuuuuuure......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    After 3 games of the season, Liverpool are now "back"? Suuuuuuure......

Top of table, doubtful to stay there, some good signings,a manager that seems to know what hes doing,the best striker in the league back from suspension very soon, id say LFC are back yes.
    May not be title contenders but certainly in the running for champions league spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

BenThere wrote: »

Oh for **** sake, mods please just delete this before the ****storm lands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Dcully wrote: »
    Top of table, doubtful to stay there, some good signings,a manager that seems to know what hes doing,the best striker in the league back from suspension very soon, id say LFC are back yes.
    May not be title contenders but certainly in the running for champions league spot.

For me, Liverpool wont be "back" til they are challenging for the title/trophies again. I dont see that being this season, and I'm a huge Liverpool fan. Saying that, I think Rodgers is a great manager and we'll definitely have an improved season this year. We just need to keep improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Big Knox wrote: »
    Oh for **** sake, mods please just delete this before the ****storm lands.

I see my big magic sh1t stirring spoon is still working it's magic :P

Ben

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Dcully wrote: »

Nah, they're not really. 5 teams definitely better than them in the league and that'll show over 38 games. Can see them coming 6th.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement