Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stopped by Garda, NCT expired

Options
  • 13-10-2012 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭

I'll save you the juicy details, but I got pulled over today for honking at parked car. Car was parked on the curb and half on the road. Turned out it was an unmarked Garda car, with the Gardai in it.

So they stopped me, and they were pissed off. So they checked my certs and my NCT had expired 30/9. I told them I already made the appointment on 3/10 for 17/11. I couldnt get an an appointment sooner I told them. Which is true, I showed him the text message from NCT.

When he asked me why I let it expire before making the appointment, I told him that honestly I had overlooked it. He asked me if I had no NCT, and I said, looking at the facts, I indeed do not have NCT at the moment.

He then told me I had to produce the insurance and NCT cert and drivers licence before the 27/11 at a Garda station of my preference.

The question now is, could it possibly be that I still would get an invitation to talk to a judge in court? Or could it be that he will let me get away with and I just need to produce the cert?

He didnt say I would get a fine or would have to go in front of a judge. He just told me to go to the Garda station with the cert and nothing else.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

6 penalty points I'd say you'll get....honk @ that!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭The Royal Scam

maybe if you tell us the whole story instead of "I honked at a parked car!" story we could advise you better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

you honked at a cop car when you had no nct?

sorry but thats funny

you may get done its something stupid like points and a mandatory court visitwith fine if you forget the nct while if you forget and drive the wrong way down a motorway its 1 point and €60. or 1 point and €60 if you forget and go the wrong way round a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Thats it, I honked at a parked car. Didnt think anything of it. I kept driving and then I hear the siren whoop a couple of times and saw the Gardai driving behind me. I stopped over, and they pulled up along side me. They asked me if I had a problem, I told them I didnt know what he was referring to. He then referred to the honking. Then I told them it was because of the parking situation and that I didnt know they were cops. He then waived it away as I should know it was obviously the police. I said I didnt realise it. He then said I had a problem with road aggression. I said I dont think it was aggressive. He then asked me why I didnt stop immediately. I said I stopped as soon as I heard him. But apparently he had flashed his blue light and siren earlier and that I didnt stop. I told him that I honestly hadnt notice him until I saw it the first time and then stopped right away. He then made a comment that I had no respect for the Gardai. I said that was not true, I had served the army for 12 years and that I respect all authorities. Then they said I needed to pay more respect. So he got out and checked my car. And then the story with the NCT unfolded. I apologised for my honking, they didnt buy it and then I apologised again and told them I would never honk again to parked cars. And then we drove off.

I didnt mean to piss them off, and I am in the wrong for not having NCT. I just read up on the web that on this offence you will get a court order and 5 points. Since they didnt tell me that I would get a fine or a court order, I dont know what is going to happen. All he told me was to get the certs and go to the station to show them.

@ Midlands, I read the max is 5, unless I also get 1 point for unlawful honking
    @ Royal, I typed it up for you
    @ Tigger, it is funny, I just didnt know it was Gardai

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

@pon - 5 then, 1 less honk

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Your appointment is for the 17-11 and you have to produce before the 27-11 so whats the problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

I'd say that provided you take in your documents , you'll be fine. Should it fail the NCT, book a re-test and take in the fail sheet and the new appointment.

Were you it the UK they would probably not have allowed you to continue driving, so thank your lucky stars.

There's an outside chance you will get summoned which really depends on whether the Gard is as big a dick as he sounds from your account. Even then, if you can show the car passed the NCT before the Court date, you may still be OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

I wouldn't worry too much, just show the certs and 95% likely that will be the end of it.
    You just met a guy (I am presuming male?) with much the same threshold of patience as yourself!
    As one of our glorious TD's said during the week, "Chillax"!
    Iver.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Seems to me that despite them appearing to be on a bit of a power trip, they were very fair in giving you until 10 days after your test date to produce. I'm sure that will be the end of it.
    That said, its not your business to be beeping at people but it is certainly understandable in certain situations where for example someone is parking in the road when there are possibly spaces nearby and often creating a dangerous situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It sounds like he was actually reasonable enough. Gave you a few days after the NCT to show him it was done... seems fair enough. Hopefully that'll be the end of it and common sense will have prevailed.

@ Celticcrash, the question is, and for argument sake lets assume I pass the NCT, and although he told me to show the certs at the police station, can I still get a court order?

Poncke wrote: »
    @ Celticcrash, the question is, and for argument sake lets assume I pass the NCT, and although he told me to show the certs at the police station, can I still get a court order?
    If you produce your certs, than they will be no court order.

@gpf101 You are right, but in the mean time I could still get a court order. The thought of having to pay a 2000 euro fine, doesnt really appeal to me.

If you produce your certs, than they will be no court order.

Ow ok, I thought that having no NCT was enough to get a court order. Even if I produce the certs, I still broke the law.

Thanks.

jeez at least you were only out a couple of days.I was talking to Gard the other day and they just can't cope with all the thousands with no Insurance, never mind tax or NCT!

The same happened me and I had to produce when I got the nct.
    The garda on the desk said that they dont usually ask people to produce when they have a date for the test.
    The Guarda in question is just making you jump through hoops, thats all, nothing to sweat about.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Satts

Honk Honk (.)(.) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

Op...it's a wrap. Get your Nct, show relevant cents before 27th....that's it.

And yes cops can get can very shirty about hooting them.....how they feck do we know who they are in unmarked cars? Similarly situation, I was stopped by I kid you not a 530d black. Tiny blue lights in the kidney bowls..... As the old expression goes , never argue with a Garda, a tax inspector or a priest. Well the priest thing is well and truly canned!

if ever a Gard should ask you why you hooted, reply I was warning you of my approach or similar.... "I thought you were going to open the door in front of me Gard "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

seems like the guard was pretty sound 2bh, hate people honking their horns all the time at people, its road rage simple as, dublin is really bad for it, why are pepole so angry? so someone does something like park badly, whats the big deal like, no one is perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Parked on the road, I'd be beeping too if they blocked the way.

Wouldn't do it if I thought it was guards though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Poncke wrote: »
    Then I told them it was because of the parking situation and that I didnt know they were cops. He then waived it away as I should know it was obviously the police. I said I didnt realise it.

What chipper was it outside of?

i often park on the road, did it there about 2 weeks ago and a garda car had to drive on the wrong side of the road to get past me, guess what, they didnt say a thing to me, so if they dont mind people parking on the road then what business do ordinary civillians have honking at people when they park on the road,i wasnt even up on the curb btw i was fully parked on the road taking up the whole left hand side of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Did he write your details down, did he give you a slip? If not, show certs, and thats the end of it.
    Unless you are importing garlic, loosely disguised as apples? In which case, then get used to the Porridge!
    Iver.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

i often park on the road, did it there about 2 weeks ago and a garda car had to drive on the wrong side of the road to get past me, guess what, they didnt say a thing to me, so if they dont mind people parking on the road then what business do ordinary civillians have honking at people when they park on the road,i wasnt even up on the curb btw i was fully parked on the road taking up the whole left hand side of the road.

Everybody parks on the road. People with no consideration park carelessly obstructing traffic in the city. There is a difference, maybe you are not bright enough to get it though.

Briando wrote: »
    Everybody parks on the road. People with no consideration park carelessly obstructing traffic in the city. There is a difference, maybe you are not bright enough to get it though.

i was obstructing traffic:p, maybe your the one who isnt too bright.

Did he write your details down, did he give you a slip? If not, show certs, and thats the end of it.
    Unless you are importing garlic, loosely disguised as apples? In which case, then get used to the Porridge!
    Iver.

Iver, he did write my details down. But I did not receive a slip. Last time I got a fine 3 years ago, for not wearing the seatbelt, I didnt get a slip either, but I did get the fine. Thats why I am worried I could get the court order as well without being told up front.

Anyhoo, it seems from the general response here that I probably will be fine (pun intended), and I have learned a lesson. Always make sure you have NCT when hooting at cops ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

I beeped at a marked garda car on thursday, it was parked 1/2 on the footpath 1/2 blocking the road at parkgate st. opposite the courts.

Lazy bastards could have easily moved it from blocking the road. With 12 years army exp. you should have told the garda to Fcuk off when he pulled you

I also nearly hit a garda at night on a main road without a high vis vest on, talking in the window to the car he had stopped around a corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Your appointment is for the 17-11 and you have to produce before the 27-11 so whats the problem?

The NCT cert is dated from the date you pass and cannot be backdated. He might be able to produce a NCT cert but it won't be one which was valid on the day he was stopped, so technically he could be prosecuted for not having a valid one at that time.

However I think the Garda's discretion will be used and it'll unlikely go any further once a current cert is shown.

Advertisement