Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stopped by Garda, NCT expired

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Poncke wrote: »
    Iver, he did write my details down. But I did not receive a slip. Last time I got a fine 3 years ago, for not wearing the seatbelt, I didnt get a slip either, but I did get the fine. Thats why I am worried I could get the court order as well without being told up front.

Anyhoo, it seems from the general response here that I probably will be fine (pun intended), and I have learned a lesson. Always make sure you have NCT when hooting at cops ;)

He took your details, it will get written up in the station and updated when you produce the cert.

If you don't produce the cert you might then get a summons.

Could have been worse, could have due you for driving without due car and attention as you didn't notice his blue lights at first :D
    I beeped at a marked garda car on thursday, it was parked 1/2 on the footpath 1/2 blocking the road at parkgate st. opposite the courts.

Lazy bastards could have easily moved it from blocking the road. With 12 years army exp. you should have told the garda to Fcuk off when he pulled you

I also nearly hit a garda at night on a main road without a high vis vest on, talking in the window to the car he had stopped around a corner.

The irony of your username!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Next time just let him know that you were using your audible warning device to Lert other road users that you needed to leave your lane and take up position in their lane (as a consequence of careless parking). No excuse for the NCT obviously although if they sought the highest level of Penalty, you might seek a judicial review - after all it wouldn't usually be enforced so strictly (the costs of such an action would vastly exceed the penalty, however).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

E5321D497D.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Let this be a lesson to save it for your wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

My understanding is this,
    Due to the backlog of nct tests, you will not be summonsed as long as you have an appointment and can prove so.
    There was a lot of hoo haa about this when the penalty points was introduced for not having a current nct.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

doubt you would get a summons, would mean that the gaurd in question would have to appear as well, being in an unmarked car and not in uniform he probably wouldnt turn up anyway to the court date.

As everyone is saying, produce the NCT on the 27th and you will be more than likely fine, showing the text to prove you had the car already booked in should be sufficient as well if you were unlucky enough to be brought to court

would then be struck out and a waste of everyones times, therefore I cant see it going to court at all

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Cheers bobin fudge. He was in uniform, and so was his partner. But I think you and the others are right. Thanks.

Cheers bobin fudge. He was in uniform, and so was his partner. But I think you and the others are right. Thanks.

But was he really in uniform; did he have his hat on? If not it doesn't count. (insert sPurious freeman nonsense here.)

Marcusm wrote: »
    But was he really in uniform; did he have his hat on? If not it doesn't count. (insert sPurious freeman nonsense here.)

if he had his hat on then you could ask to borrow it to do the toilet in:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Since when did Irish people start using the word honk?

• Advertisement

S28382 wrote: »
    Since when did Irish people start using the word honk?

LOL. I am Dutch. Apologies, I figured its called hooting. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

LOL. I am Dutch. Apologies, I figured its called hooting. ;)

AH us Irish calls it beeping :D

S28382 wrote: »
    AH us Irish calls it beeping :D
    Beeping it is !! :pac:

much prefer parping or tooting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

theres a 2 week waiting list for nct at the very most, probably only ten days even.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

....... I told them I already made the appointment on 3/10 for 17/11. I couldnt get an an appointment sooner I told them. Which is true, I showed him the text message from NCT.......

I booked an NCT via web at 19:00hrs yesterday. At 10:30 this morning I left the test centre with cert.

It would seem the the workload across test centres is very uneven.

• Site Banned Posts: 19 Garda Peter

Bring the documents as requeted and all will be well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Did he write your details down, did he give you a slip? If not, show certs, and thats the end of it.
    Unless you are importing garlic, loosely disguised as apples? In which case, then get used to the Porridge!
    Iver.

Wasn't that the judges call , nothing to do with Gardai... I assume it was customs who took the Case ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Your appointment is for the 17-11 and you have to produce before the 27-11 so whats the problem?

doesn't matter, on the day he was stopped, he had no nct ...... shouldnt have been on the public highway .....

Thought I'd give a little update. Passed NCT on 25/11 and went straight to the police station to show docs. All is good, never got an invite to court.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

Thought I'd give a little update. Passed NCT on 25/11 and went straight to the police station to show docs. All is good, never got an invite to court.

Thank god, I was worried sick:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You could get a summons still.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,861 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

seems like the guard was pretty sound 2bh, hate people honking their horns all the time at people, its road rage simple as, dublin is really bad for it, why are pepole so angry? so someone does something like park badly, whats the big deal like, no one is perfect.
    Nothing to do with not being perfect - everything to do with being too fecking lazy or incompetent to park properly, or just chancing their arm rather than finding a legal parking space.
    wyndham wrote: »
    What chipper was it outside of?
    :D So true! Happened all the time in Blanch when I lived there.
    You could get a summons still.
    Why? He did what the Garda asked. That said, unless he got the name, shoulder number, and station of the cop in question, and a receipt/confirmation that he did indeed produce as requested/agreed then it's possible alright.

All of the above should be standard practise. First thing I'd ask for is a name and badge/shoulder ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Why? He did what the Garda asked. That said, unless he got the name, shoulder number, and station of the cop in question, and a receipt/confirmation that he did indeed produce as requested/agreed then it's possible alright.

All of the above should be standard practise. First thing I'd ask for is a name and badge/shoulder ID.
    Because the NCT cert he produced wasn't valid for the time he was detected driving and the Garda is perfectly entitled to summons him for that.
    However, in reality, the Garda will almost certainly be content to drop the matter now that the OP has got his documents in order. Consider it a kick up the proverbial.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Dawn Rider

Marcusm wrote: »
    But was he really in uniform; did he have his hat on? If not it doesn't count.

Yeh, that's true.

If he's not standing under a hat, he's not acting under the law.

It's wise to save that little ace for the High Courts though.

And if things go badly there, because some Judges don't like you pointing out facts they're not aware of, and they threaten to send you to jail. Just tell them you don't recognise the Court and you don't believe in prison, and you'll be back home in no time. Obviously, they can't send you somewhere you don't believe in!

;);)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

They could have just done you for a 318, waking a police officer.

Dawn Rider wrote: »
    Yeh, that's true.

If he's not standing under a hat, he's not acting under the law.

It's wise to save that little ace for the High Courts though.

And if things go badly there, because some Judges don't like you pointing out facts they're not aware of, and they threaten to send you to jail. Just tell them you don't recognise the Court and you don't believe in prison, and you'll be back home in no time. Obviously, they can't send you somewhere you don't believe in!

;);)

Might be nicer if you included an ellipsis indicating the excised text; the quote could be read as a serious suggestion without it.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I have only ever been questioned twice by the Garda in the past 18 months at checkpoints etc, Don't know how long it was before then...On both occasions i recorded the conversation betwwen myself and the Garda on my phone.

Didn't hold it up in his face or anything just left it in the drivers door card pocket recording, Both times they were pleasant and sound... just incase one day i meet a prick at least i have the conversation recorded if i ever need it...don't really see that happening but you never know..

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

"M'lud the Guard was clearly not wearing his hat. I wish to apply to have this charge dismissed"

Straight from the Lionel Hutz book of Court Procedures

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Luca Brasi wrote: »
    "M'lud the Guard was clearly not wearing his hat. I wish to apply to have this charge dismissed"

Straight from the Lionel Hutz book of Court Procedures

I wonder how that "Free Man on the Land" sh*te goes down in court.:D

Advertisement