Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stopped by Garda, NCT expired

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

S28382 wrote: »
    AH us Irish calls it beeping :D

...and that's because Paddy spec vehicles don't normally come with a meaty dual tone horn.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Some female in civilian clothing took my certs, went to the back, came back 10 minutes later and gave me back my certs. I think she didnt say a word. Probably made a few carbon copies (thats the level of technology the gardai in Blanchardstown use). It could have been the cleaner for all I care. Its sorted now, thats all that matters to me.

Thanks for the good laughs tho, some funny comments in here. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Poncke wrote: »
    Some female in civilian clothing took my certs, went to the back, came back 10 minutes later and gave me back my certs. I think she didnt say a word. Probably made a few carbon copies (thats the level of technology the gardai in Blanchardstown use). It could have been the cleaner for all I care. Its sorted now, thats all that matters to me.

Thanks for the good laughs tho, some funny comments in here. :D

Hope you got a name and preferably a slip of paper that proves you where there.
    When we moved into this house I called the ESB and did the whole accounts thing to get me connected and the person on the other end of the phone said "Yes, that's all set up now, good luck in the new house".
    Two weeks later I came home to a dark house with the alarm blaring and upon calling the ESB I was informed "We have no record of anyone living at that address, so we disconnected you".
    When I said I set all that up two weeks ago, they said "Oh yes? Who did you speak to? What's your reference number?" and was called all but a liar.
    Was told it would take a few days and since it was Friday I wouldn't be connected till at least Wednesday.
    Luckily the OH's brother works in the ESB, we called him and he had someone out within the hour. He came out, face like thunder, didn't say a word, re-connected the fuse and drove off without speaking a word to us.
    Sadly in todays world, trust is a luxury you cannot afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭2pack

corktina wrote: »
    I'd say that provided you take in your documents , you'll be fine. Should it fail the NCT, book a re-test and take in the fail sheet and the new appointment.

Were you it the UK they would probably not have allowed you to continue driving, so thank your lucky stars.

There's an outside chance you will get summoned which really depends on whether the Gard is as big a dick as he sounds from your account. Even then, if you can show the car passed the NCT before the Court date, you may still be OK.

yes it much stricter up north, you seldom get a second chance it seems my friend got his Audi car impounded by police 3 months ago for no MOT test and he even had a test date but if its not tested it shouldn't be on the public road he was told, you cant tax a car up north with a current mot but my mate still had some tax on car but didn't matter.
    He was also fined few months before that for driving at night with bulb blew for the rear number plate ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

PSNI do their job, Gardaí don't.

• Advertisement

yes they enforce it more but quite harsh at the same time as test centres in the north are becoming like the south with longer waiting times for car tests

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

PSNI do their job, Gardaí don't.

Can you imagine what this forum would be like if the Gardai gave absolutely no leeway? It would be carnage.

Tough I says as a compliant taxpayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

2pack wrote: »

yes it much stricter up north, you seldom get a second chance it seems my friend got his Audi car impounded by police 3 months ago for no MOT test and he even had a test date but if its not tested it shouldn't be on the public road he was told, you cant tax a car up north with a current mot but my mate still had some tax on car but didn't matter.
    He was also fined few months before that for driving at night with bulb blew for the rear number plate ..

IIRC the only time you can legally drive without an MOT is to get to an MOT centre you have an appointment with, no idea how you get home if you fail. In everywhere apart from NI it's a garage which can fix it , in NI its a test center like us so you must have to hire a transporter.

Only right fining for no lights, our police could learn a lot from the PSNI or most other police forces. The amount of illegal things I see when I drive is crazy and I drive less than 10k miles a year, the Gardaí are on the road 24/7 yet don't act on any of it. I drive a bit on back roads and the amount of vehicles driving with blown lights is crazy. I actually get a shock when I meet a motorbike as I have to assume 1 light is a car, at best.

IIRC the only time you can legally drive without an MOT is to get to an MOT centre you have an appointment with, no idea how you get home if you fail. In everywhere apart from NI it's a garage which can fix it , in NI its a test center like us so you must have to hire a transporter.
    The exemption covers both going to and coming back from a test, so you are covered to drive a failed car home.

• Advertisement

yes covered to the test centre and back even if car is out of tax,
    have spoken to several people who were stopped on way back from test centre with car that didnt pass but as long as it nothing major( tester will give your a declaration to sign advising car unfit and dangerous to drive ) the police will let you drive it home.

Advertisement