Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for Irish fans to boycott the FAI

• 13-10-2012 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭

Whatever about Trap getting the sack or walking away, I can't see either happening, is it time for the Irish fans to boycott the FAI. These are the people who extended Traps contract at a terrible time.

Will the FAI listen if the Irish fans boycott the next game at the Aviva?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't think they'd notice if Irish fans boycotted the next game at Aviva.

I don't think they'd notice if Irish fans boycotted the next game at Aviva.

Yeah, they wouldn't :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

You really think that shower care what fans think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Greece next month. That might have gotten 30-35,000. Will be a considerably less now, I'd say.

I think the FAI will notice that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Full last night. It will be full for Sweden too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    Greece next month. That might have gotten 30-35,000. Will be a considerably less now, I'd say.

I think the FAI will notice that.

They might give out free tickets for school children to boost the attendance ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Highly unlikely imo. There were tickets available for Germany yesterday morning online. Yes it sold out, but literally only in the hours up to kick off. Thousands who went last night will not go to the Sweden game (even though its a more important match as neither of us will top the group anyways) after the misery they endured last night. I'd say we'll do well to see 30,000 at the Sweden game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

dan1895 wrote: »
    You really think that shower care what fans think?

If it means they only sell half the amount of tickets then I think they will care..

Can't see the Sweden game selling out. And I would have thought that before last nights game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

this is an organistion who has a manager on 1.5 million a year,with a totally spend on international senior management of 2.5 million a year.the chief executive is on something ridiculous like 300 odd grand a year yet they will only pay 100 grand prize money to winners of the top domestic league they run while also charging clubs every year money to enter said league.so in a lot of cases the prize money is so low the lower down the league you go clubs are basically getting into debt by just entering the league.

this is a national football organisation who fail to see that to have a decent international side you absolutely need a decent domestic game and instead of trying to help irish clubs develop irish players are happy to send our talanted youngsters away to be developed by another countries youth set ups!

they are a joke and a sham and are running a joke organisation into the ground and doing it in a spectactular fashion and have been for quite some time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Some say we have a shíte manager, shíte team, shíte tactics, shíte players.

Let's not have shíte fans too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

We don't play Sweden at home until next September, so I don't see why that game's being singled out in relation to attendance.

If Trap is still charge in year's time, it's only because of some monumental shift in team performance, which doesn't look likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Only if Sweden bring about 10,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

*books flight to manchester for next saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

flas wrote: »
    .the chief executive is on something ridiculous like 300 odd grand a year

€360,000 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ronsgonawin

Yeh maybe your right, maybe some of the hundreds/thousands of people who left around the 70th minute mark might come back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

That's the spirit.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Mark! wrote: »
    Whatever about Trap getting the sack or walking away, I can't see either happening, is it time for the Irish fans to boycott the FAI. These are the people who extended Traps contract at a terrible time.

Will the FAI listen if the Irish fans boycott the next game at the Aviva?

Why at this time? I can only imagine that this is in response to Ireland vs Germany or at least that that match was the last straw and that would lead me to think that it's because of the poor standard of the Irish national team / those in charge of it that now may be considered time.

I mean to cause no offense (is it possible to start a sentence with that then actually avoid doing so) whilst disagreeing with you but honestly I think if those were your reasons then the simple answer to your question would be No. You dont just give up on your national side because they arent as good as you wish or because they have the wrong man in charge.

Yes voice your concerns about the manager etc of course, I mean I'm a Villa fan and I was not happy with McLeish being anywhere near the Villa job but I didnt stop supporting them.

Having said all that though there is def reasons outside of a reaction to recent results of the national team that i'd find as very understandable reasons to boycott the FAI, most notably those related to the associations promotion and development (or more non) of the Irish league and it's players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

I was at the match lastnite and it was an absolute fcukin disgrace.Ive been going to Ireland matches since the early nineties and it was probably the worst game ive ever seen in all those years. I am block booker also but im seriously considering getting rid of the tickets now because the standard of football is terrible and i am not prepared to spend my hard earned cash on watching that crap any longer.Maybe a boycott is a good way to for the dopes at FAI to get the message!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Let me get this right. This is the FAI who have an amazing history of massive mess ups and incompetence ... and you want to boycott them now because when their manager(who they managed to get someone else to pay for) achieved his targets they renewed his contract???

If O'Brien was in agreement, they had to renew asap. 'Wait and see' doesn't work when you're not footing the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Turtyturd wrote: »

That's the spirit.:rolleyes:

So we should turn our back on the team and you talk about spirit lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I already made my decision last year not to go to another match until Trap f*cks off. I'm not paying those prices for absolute tripe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Irish people in being unwilling to get behind a bad team shocker. God bless y'all if United ever stop being good or if Liverpool.......well.....yeah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,789 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

monkey9 wrote: »
    I already made my decision last year not to go to another match until Trap f*cks off. I'm not paying those prices for absolute tripe!
    This is the bottom line for a lot of fans I feel.

People just won't spend the money after last nights performance.

Unfortunatly for fans, the FAI are unable to lower prices due to it being unfair on fans who have pre purchased tickets at an expensive price.

Yet another master stroke to add to the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

flas wrote: »
    this is an organistion who has a manager on 1.5 million a year,with a totally spend on international senior management of 2.5 million a year.the chief executive is on something ridiculous like 300 odd grand a year yet they will only pay 100 grand prize money to winners of the top domestic league they run while also charging clubs every year money to enter said league.so in a lot of cases the prize money is so low the lower down the league you go clubs are basically getting into debt by just entering the league.

this is a national football organisation who fail to see that to have a decent international side you absolutely need a decent domestic game and instead of trying to help irish clubs develop irish players are happy to send our talanted youngsters away to be developed by another countries youth set ups!

they are a joke and a sham and are running a joke organisation into the ground and doing it in a spectactular fashion and have been for quite some time!
    Nail On The Head post. Sometimes a Thank isn't enough. For those involved in grass roots or LOI football, you will recognise the points raised above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

With all the points flas made, it has made me wonder why the f**k I have stuck with this team for so long.

I remember reading on foot a good few years ago about LOI fans boycotting the FAI/NT and I thought they were mad.

They really do nothing for our league, they take from it. I'm now reading on twitter that they arranged a Trap press conference right in the middle of the Rovers v Pats game today..Just wow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    With all the points flas made, it has made me wonder why the f**k I have stuck with this team for so long.

I remember reading on foot a good few years ago about LOI fans boycotting the FAI/NT and I thought they were mad.

They really do nothing for our league, they take from it. I'm now reading on twitter that they arranged a Trap press conference right in the middle of the Rovers v Pats game today..Just wow.

There's some fans who were at Lansdowne last night and that's all they know! There were players on that pitch today much better than some of that Irish squad.

So called football fans in this country really haven't a clue.

CSF wrote: »
    Irish people in being unwilling to get behind a bad team shocker. God bless y'all if United ever stop being good or if Liverpool.......well.....yeah

Irish person in generalisation shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

rarnes1 wrote: »
    CSF wrote: »

Irish person in generalisation shocker.
    I'm right though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

It was time for a boycott a long time before this. Alot of people who follow clubs in England and Scotland don't notice the awful neglect, mismanagement and downright scorn the FAI has to the domestic league in this country.

Without the domestic league being strong and competitive, our national team won't be strong and competitive. Young Irish talent will be poached away to England but unless they are exceptionally talented from the get go, they won't get the same chances to establish themselves in England as previous generations did because they are in contention with now with kids from all Europe, who come from very good setups because the national FAs in their home countries actually give a **** about soccer there.

Compare the FAI to the GAA or Irish Rugby. See the effort that the other organisations do in fostering and nuturing young players, real grassroots stuff and then look at the FAI. They have a long, long way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

The only way forward is to get rid of Delaney which at the moment is impossible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Thankfully stopped giving them my money in 2008.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Irish fans already do boycott the FAI. They dont bother turning up for games in this country but watch glamour games on the TV while getting drunk or talk about "soccer" on forums.

If by chance we do start doing well then the GAA and rugger fans are there but wouldnt know a football if it hit them on the head. And sure, the result doesnt matter we had a great time.

You cant have a proper national team without a proper national league with some level of national support. It just does not work. Its like having a building without foundations. Without a strong LOI you wont get a strong national team.

Liverpool till I die. (sorry that was last week)

Gremio till I die

My advice: Boycott the FAI if you want to but stop the boycott of the LOI especially in these economic times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

It really would be silly to boycott them now in reaction to the Germany game. Their neglegence in their duty of care for Irish football in general should be the thing that people shout out against. The national team is the pinnacle I know, but if one only concentrates on both the good and the bad times through the prism of the national side without digging a little deeper and seeing the state of grassroots football and indeed our own league, nothing will be learnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Zebra3 wrote: »
    €360,000 a year.

See the way they kept it just below €1000 a day so it wouldn't raise too many eyebrows... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

Tempting but the problem is that if you boycott the FAI you are also boycotting the team which is the last thing a fragile bunch of players needs right now.

Maybe a compromise would be for all the people who go to the game and never once raise their voice to support our players to stay away. That would hurt the FAI financially but make no difference to the level of support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I don't think the strength or weakness of the LOI is going to have any effect on the national team to be honest. The money and fan base is never going to be there to prevent good players looking abroad to England and further a field for club football.

If Trap and Delaney were to go who would we replace them with and how could they make things better? The FAI has a huge debt to pay off so whoever comes in won't have the resources the develop the game.

recyclebin wrote: »
    I don't think the strength or weakness of the LOI is going to have any effect on the national team to be honest. The money and fan base is never going to be there to prevent good players looking abroad to England and further a field for club football.

Well, Denmark has a similar population, they have a decent enough league with facilities LoI clubs can only dream of.

They have won the European Championship and four different clubs have played in the CL group stages, FCK a number of times. Usually a good number of players from their domestic league are in their senior international squad.

The LoI, and subsequently the national set up, could have a much brighter future, but people couldn't be arsed.

If Ireland fans do continue to go watch the national side, they should voice their discontent with Delaney. He has driven the FAI into huge debt and is responsibe for giving a new contract to a manager who isn't bothered to watch his players play for their clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

recyclebin wrote: »

If Trap and Delaney were to go who would we replace them with and how could they make things better? The FAI has a huge debt to pay off so whoever comes in won't have the resources the develop the game.

This, is a misconception. Its happened numerous nations all over Europe. Of course players will still go to the premier division and the very best leagues but no one really wants to move to smaller lower division teams or some crappy team in Scotland. I'm fairly long in the tooth now and traveled a bit especially around Scandinavia and the growth in their leagues has no doubt been instrumental in helping the national team. Now, most of their player do play abroad but some are playing at home and there is no problem with that. The growth of the Norwegian and Danish leagues for instance brought with it some great new stadiums, a much higher standard of football, better national teams an influx of foreign talent into the league which fed into even better crowds.

And dont mention GAA and rugby

Sweden, Norway and Denmark are mad into skiing, ice hockey and handball.

Well Denmark not skiing.

The Swedes aint bad either and there are other numerous examples around europe.

And dont mention GAA and rugby

Sweden, Norway and Denmark are mad into skiing, ice hockey and handball.

Well Denmark not skiing.

The Swedes aint bad either and there are other numerous examples around europe.

Them Swedes and their "Bandy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

Zebra3 wrote: »
    €360,000 a year.

Shocking amount of money for a Mickey Mouse federation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Would you say say it's time for our readers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

I was thinking about getting **** THE FAI on the back of my new Boh's jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

stop attending and the FAI will see the real cost of keeping trappatoni as opposed to the cost they see, i.e. having to pay him out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Idbatterim wrote: »
    stop attending and the FAI will see the real cost of keeping trappatoni as opposed to the cost they see, i.e. having to pay him out!

Couldnt agree more i had to laugh today when i got an email from ticketmaster advertising tickets for the friendly against Greece next month at the aviva. Id say there will alot of empty seats!!!

noodler wrote: »
    Would you say say it's time for our readers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?

No, but maybe the heads of certain people in Abbotstown. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

If anything I'd be even more likely to make every game now that the country needs true fans more when all the bandwaggoners stop going.

Also people will obv attribute a low attendance v Greece as some sort of Trapp protest when the reality is not many ever went to friendlies at this time of year even back in the day, eg Ireland v Finland in 2000 was watched by 22,000, Ireland vs Croatia in 01 was watched by 27,000, none late in 2002 with playoffs, Ireland v Turkey in 2003 was watched by 27,000 and Ireland v Canada in 04 was watched by 25,000. Expect something similar against Greece but the media/boards idiots will be writing the usual trap doomscript.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Rekop dog wrote: »
    If anything I'd be even more likely to make every game now that the country needs true fans more when all the bandwaggoners stop going.

Also people will obv attribute a low attendance v Greece as some sort of Trapp protest when the reality is not many ever went to friendlies at this time of year even back in the day, eg Ireland v Finland in 2000 was watched by 22,000, Ireland vs Croatia in 01 was watched by 27,000, none late in 2002 with playoffs, Ireland v Turkey in 2003 was watched by 27,000 and Ireland v Canada in 04 was watched by 25,000. Expect something similar against Greece but the media/boards idiots will be writing the usual trap doomscript.

Hopefully make this watched by about 5k idiots, and Greece will have no support, and we won't either.
    Even the season ticket ppl, u'd hope they will stay away in protest at trap. An empty stadium might sent out a message to Delaney etc!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

This makes no sense. If you were, to paraphrase, a 'true' fan then there would be no 'more likely' at all. You'd just go. The only thing anyone is on is a high horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Stevecw wrote: »
    Hopefully make this watched by about 5k idiots, and Greece will have no support, and we won't either.
    Even the season ticket ppl, u'd hope they will stay away in protest at trap. An empty stadium might sent out a message to Delaney etc!!!

Any message sent out to Delaney usually just ends with him issuing a fine to someone.

'Ireland fans fined €5,000 for not attending match' :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Will they obv? Interesting how you're already trying to explain away the outcome of something that hasn't even happened yet.

Also interesting how you're quoting figures from 8-12 years ago but that you seem to have forgotten Norway 2010 (30k+) and Poland 2008 (61k ... and even if you attribute half the crowd to Poles that's still another 30k+ home fans).

By that logic we should be expecting another 30k gate this November, not the 22k-27k you try to present.

• Advertisement
Advertisement