Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it time for Irish fans to boycott the FAI

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Greatest fans in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Well, Denmark has a similar population, they have a decent enough league with facilities LoI clubs can only dream of.

They have won the European Championship and four different clubs have played in the CL group stages, FCK a number of times. Usually a good number of players from their domestic league are in their senior international squad.

The LoI, and subsequently the national set up, could have a much brighter future, but people couldn't be arsed.

If Ireland fans do continue to go watch the national side, they should voice their discontent with Delaney. He has driven the FAI into huge debt and is responsibe for giving a new contract to a manager who isn't bothered to watch his players play for their clubs.

I agree, but it's not easy to voice discontent with Delaney when you're kicked out of the stadium or fined for attempting to do so.

I would love to see his face though if a huge 'Delaney Out' banner could be brought into the stadium, might be possible at an away game.

Irish fans will never boycott, you'd have the loyal 'greatest fans in the world', just trying to keep the reputation going and then give out a belt of Fields of Athenry, flipping embarrassing. You have more loyal fans in the Blue Square Premier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Will they obv? Interesting how you're already trying to explain away the outcome of something that hasn't even happened yet.

Also interesting how you're quoting figures from 8-12 years ago but that you seem to have forgotten Norway 2010 (30k+) and Poland 2008 (61k ... and even if you attribute half the crowd to Poles that's still another 30k+ home fans).

By that logic we should be expecting another 30k gate this November, not the 22k-27k you try to present.

The point was to show attendances from managers in previous reigns, (including Micks who was quite popular) to show the average gates in and about this time of year. I realise the Friendly attendances during Traps reign have been on the whole excellent due to the ferver he created by constantly getting results, but I know that fans don't tend to stick around when the going gets though(even if this is hugely exaggerated by fans due to really tough run of fixture), so naturally an unglamerous friendly against the Greeks isn't ever going to get the juices flowing of the bandwaggon types of which there are plenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Using a friendly as a means for a boycott is not much use, the attendances at them has been flaky at best over the past few yaers

If people really want to say something just don't bother going to any more competitive games for this campaign.

Irish fans will never boycott, you'd have the loyal 'greatest fans in the world', just trying to keep the reputation going and then give out a belt of Fields of Athenry, flipping embarrassing. You have more loyal fans in the Blue Square Premier.
    Are Blue Square Premier fans not some of the most loyal?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Greatest fans in the world.
    dont know if this is meant to be sarcastic or not! it probably impossible to say who has the best fans as its subjective, but when we qualify for tournaments, the amount of fans we bring relative to population and expectations must dwarf any other nation per capita...

Idbatterim wrote: »
    dont know if this is meant to be sarcastic or not! it probably impossible to say who has the best fans as its subjective, but when we qualify for tournaments, the amount of fans we bring relative to population and expectations must dwarf any other nation per capita...
    But while we are qualifying, nobody really wants to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

carlop wrote: »
    I agree, but it's not easy to voice discontent with Delaney when you're kicked out of the stadium or fined for attempting to do so.

I would love to see his face though if a huge 'Delaney Out' banner could be brought into the stadium, might be possible at an away game.

They can hardly kick everyone out of Lansdowne for chanting against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

If we are getting badly beaten again, take to the pitch that would give Delaney a fright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

this post might be more suitable for the accountancy forum but bear with me

I just hadda quick look at the Financial Statements of the FAI for 2010 (can't see the 2011 so they may not be released yet). They hadda turnover of 39m down hugely on 2009 which was 50 m. While this looks bad they still seem to be making a profit 5m in 2009 v 1.5 m in 2010.

Of this 'profit' they gave Development and operating grants to affiliates of 1.5m in both years.

Worryingly they only manage to have 56K left over after these grants in 2010 v 3.5m in 2009. So I would guess any further drop in income would see these grants hit.

Now the really worrying part. On their balance sheet they have booked Intangible assets of 88.3m. This is the dominant figure on the balance sheet other than debt of 66m. There is no explanation of this figure which may not in itself be unusual as they may not need to by law.

What is this figure though? intangible assets are usually a valuation of reputation, brands etc etc which I cannot see with the FAI. It could be the valuation of the players under their control but I would doubt that as the players have no obligations to the association. Maybe sponsorship deals? Anyone any ideas?

The scary part is withhout this Intangible assets figure the FAI is insolvent and would be subject to a winding up order by the courts.

Will wait and see what the 2011 figures are like.

Anyway sorry for boring you

Delaney Out Trap out. Bring back Mick McCarthy

Edit: On further investigation they have valued their rights to the use of the Aviva Stadium at 88m which seems to be the intangible. This figure would most likely be based on a future earnings potential on the expectation that x number of supporters comes to the games.
    I currently cannot access their statutory accounts and am relying on their annual review. i will try and get into the CRO website tomorrow

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Edit: On further investigation they have valued their rights to the use of the Aviva Stadium at 88m which seems to be the intangible. This figure would most likely be based on a future earnings potential on the expectation that x number of supporters comes to the games.
    I currently cannot access their statutory accounts and am relying on their annual review. i will try and get into the CRO website tomorrow

Possibly it's future potential earnings from their 50% cut in the naming rights to the stadium up until its scheduled demolition as per the contract between the FAI and IRFU in 68 years time.

I think the figures for 2011 are out there and were covered by both the Indo and Times. Only repayments on the interest of the loan the FAI needed for their share of costs for the new stadium have been made.

The FAI's share of costs should have been covered by successful sales of the 10 year corporate packages (as happened with the IRFU). Delaney failed miserably there. For that alone he should have been forced out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

It looks like the FAI someday may become The FAI Newco.
    On the point about people chanting against him at the Aviva. All he has to do here is buy everyone a pint and bill it as expenses hence saving the name Delaney but at further cost to the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭nordydan

Pay rise for John Delaney

CSF wrote: »
    Are Blue Square Premier fans not some of the most loyal?:confused:

My point, Irish fans jump on the bandwagon constantly. The euros are a prime example. These same fans couldn't even be bothered supporting their own local league because the 'standard' is crap, don't think the Blue Square Premier is much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

My point, Irish fans jump on the bandwagon constantly. The euros are a prime example. These same fans couldn't even be bothered supporting their own local league because the 'standard' is crap, don't think the Blue Square Premier is much better

Not supporting the LoI

DOES NOT EQUAL

being a bandwagon supporter

Equating the two only serves to exacerbate a negative stereotype of LoI fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Highly unlikely imo. There were tickets available for Germany yesterday morning online. Yes it sold out, but literally only in the hours up to kick off. Thousands who went last night will not go to the Sweden game (even though its a more important match as neither of us will top the group anyways) after the misery they endured last night. I'd say we'll do well to see 30,000 at the Sweden game.

if we are still in contention going into that game, which we should be, there will be around 45-50,000 at that game.

the polish friendly will be well attended also. greece wont be, as they wont bring any fans. people seem to forget that while we travel in big numbers, most teams that come to ireland bring about 50 fans apart from Germany and one or two more. this is due to location and ticket prices, ireland is not that easy to get to from certain countries.

losing 3,000 away potential fans is alot to take in, for every game. we took over 2,000 to Macedonia for example, yet they had about 50 here. Kazakhstan and the Faroes will bring about 50 people here between them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

The "hardcore" of Irish fans I've known have a very strong affinity for the Irish team and will turn out for games regardless of the results, the manager etc. We could be limited to a selection of league one players and finishing fifth every time in the group and I'm still convinced there a collection of about 15k-20k out there who will endure no matter what. Past that I think attendances are a results+performance based business.

I do think Greece will flop attendance-wise. It's an unglamorous fixture played at traditionally bad time of the year for drawing support. BTW, by 'flop' I mean teens of thousands at the game. I don't mean one man and his dog.

It could be back up for Poland, I don't really know.

However, even if we're still playing our stone age hoofball and as long as we've not lost both game #4 and #5, I'm convinced when Sweden come to town in September that the game will draw a full house (or very near full) and that there'll be this positive vibe again (based on nothing of course) that somehow we can beat them and clinch second place. I've a feeling that we're going to be in for a very long and disappointing night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So I know you've all been eagerly awaiting the 2011 Financial Statements;o)

So turnover was up by 6m in 2011 compared with 2010 however costs also went up and they paid significantly more interest in the year leaving a drop in "profit" for the year of 300k to 1.2m. This, as I mentioned in the previous post, affected the grants given by the FAI to affiliates.

A note in the Fin Stats warns "The Association is dependent upon the income generated by the success of the Senior International Team by way of ticket revenue , sponsorship and television revenue to continue to invest in all aspects of football throughout the country."

Therefore any drop in the ticketing revenue will affect the association in the future. Now I cannot see a 'newco' situation as another poster mentioned unless there was a complete collapse in ticket revenues as they would most likely negotiate an extension of their loans on Aviva past 2020 if the situation became critical. What does seem to be the case is that with a drop in Revenue Irish football will suffer which is junior up to LOI.

Regarding a boycott as suggested by the OP I have seen many people not renew their season tickets. I wasn't going to myself but had a change of heart at the last minute. The Greece match will be a good indication of the amount of season tickets sold compared to the previous one (unless someone has that info to hand?). I think, however that the Sweden away fixture is critical. If we can get a result there we will have a good shot at qualification and crowds may start returning but a loss (or dare I say a heavy loss) I think will be the death of this qualifying campaign (some result against the Germans coming back from 4-0 down, scary stuff)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

I wonder how many people here who are calling for a boycott of the FAI also call Roy Keane a traitor?

Keane is the only person who has ever taken a stand against the mismanagement of the FAI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Hazys wrote: »
    I wonder how many people here who are calling for a boycott of the FAI also call Roy Keane a traitor?

Keane is the only person who has ever taken a stand against the mismanagement of the FAI.

Well I'm one of the people who called him a traitor and I still do. I'm fairly indifferent about the whole current boycott/don't boycott situation. My feeling it's your money and time, do what you like.

Regarding his defiance, all his "stand" has managed to do is to put a black cloud over following the Irish team that has never really gone away since. A cloud where suddenly it's ok to question the commitment of the players and in particular it's ok to boo the team off the pitch.

we took over 2,000 to Macedonia for example

:confused:

When?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He did.

He also publicly slaughtered his manager on front of his fellow squad.

Thats the bit he got sent home for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Augmerson wrote: »
    It was time for a boycott a long time before this. Alot of people who follow clubs in England and Scotland don't notice the awful neglect, mismanagement and downright scorn the FAI has to the domestic league in this country.

Without the domestic league being strong and competitive, our national team won't be strong and competitive. Young Irish talent will be poached away to England but unless they are exceptionally talented from the get go, they won't get the same chances to establish themselves in England as previous generations did because they are in contention with now with kids from all Europe, who come from very good setups because the national FAs in their home countries actually give a **** about soccer there.

Compare the FAI to the GAA or Irish Rugby. See the effort that the other organisations do in fostering and nuturing young players, real grassroots stuff and then look at the FAI. They have a long, long way to go.

Just wanted to quote this post for its succint nature.

Brian Kerr did it long before him.

Advertisement