Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Men's Health vs Women's Health in the media.

• 13-10-2012 2:38pm

While watching TV recently, it occurred to me that breast cancer gets a lot of attention in the media, whether it be on the radio, in print or on TV; things like getting yourself checked regularly and so on and so forth. I'm not saying this is a bad thing in the slightest and it should be something that is highlighted, but I don't think I've ever really seen any advertisements or campaigns about testicular cancer in a similar form.

Has anyone else seen any or am I just missing them completely?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Now that you mention it, there isn't a lot of tv ads about it. There's a breast cancer awareness day but I'm not sure if there's a testicular cancer awareness day. I could be wrong though. I do know there's an "international check your balls day" though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

While watching TV recently, it occurred to me that breast cancer gets a lot of attention in the media, whether it be on the radio, in print or on TV; things like getting yourself checked regularly and so on and so forth. I'm not saying this is a bad thing in the slightest and it should be something that is highlighted, but I don't think I've ever really seen any advertisements or campaigns about testicular cancer in a similar form.

Here you go :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I agree with you although I Havint seen any adds for either but on program's such as embarrassing bodies there is a lot on breast cancer and nothing on testicular cancer
    They show women how to check properly for lumps or signs of cancer but never show about how us lads can check for early signs of testicular cancer
    Bit sexist if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I agree with you although I Havint seen any adds for either but on program's such as embarrassing bodies there is a lot on breast cancer and nothing on testicular cancer
    They show women how to check properly for lumps or signs of cancer but never show about how us lads can check for early signs of testicular cancer
    Bit sexist if you ask me
    They did a programme where Christian went into a locker room with firemen and got them to check for lumps. They are definitely more ads for breast cancer awareness but I think that is slowly changing.

It's just strange that cancer in men is not mentioned as much in the media as it is in women. Surely testicular and prostate cancer affects and kills as many men, or even that men can also get breast cancer, but this is even less heard about.

In reference to the Rachel Stevens ad -
    As much as it is effective and humoruous, can you imagine a similar campaign for breast cancer, where a man is doing the same with a plate of jelly, or something else? It would probably receive so many complaints!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

it's because men rule the world, obviously

As far as I'm aware there is a mens health awareness week - I'm sure it's featured in the gentlemen's club.

Traditionally, women have been more open about their health and more likely to visit their GP. This might be why it receives more attention, because women push the issue. Ironically, this highlights the need for more attention to be given to the area of mens health, but I think it is improving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

No you're not missing them completely. They are not there to the same extent as Womens' Health Issues. Even during Mens' Health Week in June there was very little advertising or promotional work done on mens' health. Outside of that one week then, little to nothing is being done.

There seems to be some taboo on mens' health issues being discussed or mentioned in general, maybe more men would get regular checks done if that was different.
    I don't know, can't say for certain, but you are not missing them completely as mens' health issues are not being advertised to the same extent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

I don't think there is any doubt that Breast Cancer awareness gets more publicity than Testicular Cancer.

There have been a number of Rugby, Cricket American Football teams wearing pink jerseys for Breast Cancer awareness. While that is admirable, Sports teams could probably achieve a lot more if they supported a 'check your balls' campaign. They are the people young men look up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Thankfully there is far more creation of public awareness campaigns re testicular/prostate health than there used to be, but there is still some way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

As far as I'm aware there is a mens health awareness week - I'm sure it's featured in the gentlemen's club.

Traditionally, women have been more open about their health and more likely to visit their GP. This might be why it receives more attention, because women push the issue. Ironically, this highlights the need for more attention to be given to the area of mens health, but I think it is improving.

Yes, I think you hit the nail on the head there. Because of child birth etc, women are more likely to go to a doctor. Plus with breast cancer, there is such a high survival rate, much of the 'fear ' of getting checked is gone, if that makes sense. That and the free Breastcheck for for women over 50.

I think there was a big health drive for men a few years ago, specifically for testicular cancer. Something like 'Check under your bonnet' or something like that and Gerry Ryan was heading it.

Can't find anything on the Internet but I remember the leaflets in college.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

It's all about numbers.

Breast cancer is far far more common than testicular cancer (doesn't mean awareness shouldn't be raised) so that's where resources are directed.

[Generalisation] Also women tend to take better care to their health so it is easier in a way to appeal directly to them in the media, whether that be breast screening, cervical smears, etc. Innuendo works better with men [/Generalisation]

Breast, prostate and skin are the three biggest in Ireland AFAIK, not sure if they are the biggest causes of mortality though. Think colorectal might be up there also. I do agree there does need to be more awareness for everybody with skin and in men, prostate cancers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I think it is quite unbalanced and I actually see more prostate awareness ads (the very few that there are) than testicular cancers ones, eventhough it's more a young man's disease, and is more common.

But then again, women are more open about their health in comparison to men. In fact, men are far more likely to avoid and delay going to the doctor until their symptoms progress and worsen.
    Maybe that is a reason why breast cancer gets most attention because of women pushing the disease and raising more awareness?

Tbh though, I think something needs to change and stop men's health from being more overshadowed by comparison. It'd only benefit everyone to bring male specific cancers up to the level of women specific cancers in terms of awareness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,455 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Testicular cancer is not common and kills so few men that it's hard to find any figures for it. IIRC I worked out before that based on US and UK death rates, approx 5 men die from testicular cancer in Ireland every year.

In contrast, several hundred women die from breast cancer. Last time I checked it was in the 600s and may well be over 700 now.

Lung cancer kills around 2000 men and women and it receives little coverage relative to how serious a problem it is. When there is coverage its almost always about smoking and the need to give up etc. That is an important message but what never seems to get mentioned is that a couple of hundred of the people who die from lung cancer in Ireland every year never smoked in their lives.

Testicular cancer is far rarer than breast cancer so they are not really comparable. Prostate cancer would be a comparable cancer to breast cancer.

I don't get why this has to be a man vs. woman/ testes vs. breasts issue.

Breast cancer gets a lot of attention, and that's great.
    Testicular cancer doesn't get as much attention, and that does need to be rectified.
    But what about pancreatic cancer/lung cancer/bowel cancer/oral cancer? They too don't get as much attention as breast cancer. It's an unfortunate situation and it needs to change, but I really don't think it's an issue of sexism. Attention to some cancers is stronger than the attention given to others, the same way that with any disease/illness, some will get more attention, have more campaigning for awareness, and get more funding for prevention/treatment/research. It's an issue of prevalence, media coverage and chance, not gender.

Testicular cancer is far rarer than breast cancer so they are not really comparable. Prostate cancer would be a comparable cancer to breast cancer.

While I admit that, I also said how it's rare to see reference to cancer of most sorts in men - prostate, testicular and breast cancer.

Yes, men are less likely to look after their health, but what we need is campaigns in the media and, as said previously, personalities (be they sports, tv or film) to support said campaigns. It's strange that in the example given previously, male sports stars would wear items for breast cancer, but not testicular and prostate, which is where they might be more effective, because of them being role models to other men.

When Jade Goody died of cervical cancer, this was highlighted a lot in the media and it then went on to get a lot of women getting themselves checked on. While this is a fantastic thing, there have been many notable male personalities who have died from prostate or testicular cancer, with none of the reaction that Jade Goody had.

Again, I'm not saying this is bad, but it's just strange, is it not?

Also - there's one week awareness for women and yet only a week for men.
    I don't get why this has to be a man vs. woman/ testes vs. breasts issue.

Breast cancer gets a lot of attention, and that's great.
    Testicular cancer doesn't get as much attention, and that does need to be rectified.
    But what about pancreatic cancer/lung cancer/bowel cancer/oral cancer? They too don't get as much attention as breast cancer. It's an unfortunate situation and it needs to change, but I really don't think it's an issue of sexism. Attention to some cancers is stronger than the attention given to others, the same way that with any disease/illness, some will get more attention, have more campaigning for awareness, and get more funding for prevention/treatment/research. It's an issue of prevalence, media coverage and chance, not gender.

While I agree, there are a lot of cancer campaigns in general, while they don't highlight the specific ones, they would hopefully themselves deal with the individual ones.

This is more about how the media portrays health re: men and women, using breast cancer and prostate/testicular cancer as the point of reference.

Not much point, sure none of ye go to the bleedin doctor anyway.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What about Movember?

It's a full month, worldwide.

A lot of women will use hormonal contraception (combined/min oral contraptive pill, Minera IUD, implants and injections) and/or HRT during their lifetime. These have a proven link to breast cancer so that's another angle. Women are also likely to speak publicly about their experiences and show the results of mastectomy and breast reconstruction - watching these alone is enough to encourage me to check my breasts.

Perhaps more campaigns for men which featured survivors or current patients might help? Losing a testicle is as devastating for men as losing a breast is for women.

While the after effects (aesthetically) of cervical, ovarian and prostate cancer aren't as obvious, listening to the experiences of those who have had these conditions is probably the best way to raise awareness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Considering that we men control nearly everything whether it be media, health, etc. Then it's our fault that common male diseases and cancers are not highlighted.

Women are much better at looking after themselves and they do have more problems than men anyway.

Men do not take their health seriously enough. It's all very well highlighting the 'embarrassing' things. But the real killers are things like high blood pressure and high cholesterol. How many of you men out there have had your blood pressure checked recently? What about cholesterol? What about liver function since we all drink far too much?

Most of these are symptonless until it's too late. After a medical I was found to have both high blood pressure and high cholestorol. Now I'm on three tablets a day. You don't have to be fat or unfit or only eat fries to end up like that. Makes me wonder how many other men are out there with a ticking time bomb.

Maybe that's the campaign that should be highlighted. Check your BP regularly.

Edited the title to reflect that this doesn't reflect primarily on just breast cancer v testicular/prostate cancer, but how men's health and women's health differ in the media.

This is more about how the media portrays health re: men and women, using breast cancer and prostate/testicular cancer as the point of reference.

Ah, ok. Well in that case, I'd still claim that I don't think there's much of a sexist bias. While women's experiences are talked about more, there's been a lot of attention to men's health in the last few years. The high rates of depression in men, heart disease, higher tendency to have high BP and cholesterol, have all been discussed in the media (though admittedly not to the extent of breast cancer from what I can see).

I do think there's a tendency for men to talk about these things less, and to worry about these things less. I'm 21, female, and about a year ago I had a pelvic exam "just in case", because I had some mildly worrying symptoms. Yet I know a guy who went 5 years with a serious problem down below, who was 23 by the time he mentioned it to a friend who convinced him to go get checked. He ended up needing surgery. I know these are just two anecdotes, but I'd find them to be typical of my experience in these matters. Or maybe I just don't hear men talk about their health much because I'm female?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

Edited the title to reflect that this doesn't reflect primarily on just breast cancer v testicular/prostate cancer, but how men's health and women's health differ in the media.

Yeah, I remember when I wasn't a member and used to just lurk, this was brought up before:
    OutlawPete wrote: »
    Think there is a far more worrying examples of sexist and discriminatory thinking in areas that have more of a direct effect on men's lives in Ireland that the mini-marathon.

In fact it would be nice if men arranged similar events, for the fact that our own Government is clearly sexist when it comes to health matters that effect men exclusively.

You won't be seeing prostrate screening ads in your local cinema at time soon for example or websites dedicated to male cancer screening programmes the way there are for breast and cervical cancers.

http://www.breastcheck.ie/
    http://www.cervicalcheck.ie/

Guess they're still working on ..

http://www.testicularcheck.ie/
    http://www.prostatecheck.ie/

So yeah, wouldn't be too worried about the marathons - bigger fish to fry.

He was an excellent poster, whatever happened to that guy, handsome too I heard.

Is it true he had some kind of meltdown?

(Actually, don't answer that, bit of a hot potatoe lately, discussing past members and all. I'm sure he's out there on the road somewhere, in some bus or train traveling along, or in a motel room with a radio playing..).

Is it true he had some kind of meltdown?

(Actually, don't answer that, bit of a hot potatoe lately, discussing past members and all. I'm sure he's out there on the road somewhere, in some bus or train traveling along, or in a motel room with a radio playing..).

Is that you, OutlawPete? :pac:

When Jade Goody died of cervical cancer, this was highlighted a lot in the media and it then went on to get a lot of women getting themselves checked on. While this is a fantastic thing, there have been many notable male personalities who have died from prostate or testicular cancer, with none of the reaction that Jade Goody had.
    If Jade Goody had cornflakes for her breakfast the media would have highlighted that. You are right that her unfortunate situation raised awareness of cervical cancer - but I would say that was more to do with her being young and a reality TV "star" than because she was a woman with cervical cancer.

If a young, male, reality TV personality died from testicular cancer there would be a lot about it in the media too.

I actually can't think of any famous men that died from testicular cancer. Offhand I can think of a good few that died from prostate though, all of them aged 50+ eg

Charles Haughey
    Francois Mitterand
    Seamus Brennan
    Dennis Hopper

In the last 2 years there has been significant and actually unprecedented progress in treatments for prostate cancer. Several new treatments for men with incurable prostate cancer have been approved or are nearing approval, each of these new treatments has been shown in trials to extend median survival by a few months. That doesn't sound like much but it is significant for cancer drugs. If this progress continues it may be the case that bad cases of prostate cancer become very manageable within 10-20 years. It is an exciting but also challenging time for anyone involved in researching or treating prostate cancer. It will take a lot of effort to maximise the benefits from these new treatments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I actually can't think of any famous men that died from testicular cancer. Offhand I can think of a good few that died from prostate though, all of them aged 50+ eg
    Survival rates for testicular cancer are amongst the highest, partially due to its relatively external location say compared to pancreatic or lung cancers.

Lance Armstrong is probably the most high profile person to have had testicular cancer and his charity, Livestrong, is probably one of the most well known. Not sure in light of recent revelations he can be called a "role-model".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭Madam Marie

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I actually can't think of any famous men that died from testicular cancer.

Pete Postlethwaite's cancer started with testicular cancer. He had one testicle removed and for a brief time it was thought that he was in complete remission but sadly wsan't to be He was very ill during the making of The Town and Killing Bono apparently, but you'd never know from looking at both performances. Guy was a legend.

Swedish Racing driver Gunnar Nilsson and BBC jornalist Richard Dimbleby were probably the two most famous men to die from testicular cancer.

Pete Postlethwaite's cancer started with testicular cancer. He had one testicle removed and for a brief time it was thought that he was in complete remission but sadly wsan't to be He was very ill during the making of The Town and Killing Bono apparently, but you'd never know from looking at both performances. Guy was a legend.

Swedish Racing driver Gunnar Nilsson and BBC jornalist Richard Dimbleby were probably the two most famous men to die from testicular cancer.
    Thanks, I didn't know that about Nilsson and Dimbleby. It may well be the case that they would have survived nowadays given how curable testicular cancer is and how sensitive it is to modern chemotherapy - even when it has spread to the brain or other organs.

AFAIK John Hartson is fine and he had brain mets like Armstrong did.

Various sources say that Pete Postlethwaite had testicular cancer in 1990 but that it was (unrelated) pancreatic cancer that killed him. That makes sense given the lethality of pancreatic cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I feel that only one 'female' cancer gets prominance but a lot pf women die from lung cancer and there is not as big a focus on that and it is a shame.

I was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer in October 2006 (has a very low survival rate) and it was upsetting for me that on my few good days from chemo I could not get away from cancer as there was 'pink month'. There is also Movember but that is not as big an affair. We all need to educate ourselves about the early signs of cancer as there is some hope of help there. For example if you have problemswallowing you should get it checked out. To be fair the doctors can be just as bad at not knowing the signs.

I have no problem with maybe 4 weeks spread over the year but a month in one stretch is too much.

I do feel that women have a stronger lobby group but they are shooting themselves in the foot as lots die from lung cancer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Birneybau wrote: »
    What about Movember?

It's a full month, worldwide.

Same as October for woman but does not get as much press

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I did a quick google and found this

http://www.cancer.org/acs/groups/content/@epidemiologysurveilance/documents/document/acspc-026210.pdf

(note: the figures are listed as estimates and are for the US)

New cases of breast cancer 209,060
    Deaths 40,230

New cases of prostate cancer 217,730
    Deaths 32,050

Prostate cancer gets so little publication that even men don't think of it. Most of the discussion so far has been about testicular cancer.

As you can see from the figures, there are more new cases of prostate cancer then there are of breast cancer.

CathyMoran wrote: »
    I do feel that women have a stronger lobby group but they are shooting themselves in the foot as lots die from lung cancer.

I read somewhere that rates of lung cancer are increasing, but the rates of lung cancer in the under 50's was decreasing. It's because people are living longer. And the longer you live the higher the chance of contracting it.

Grayson wrote: »
    I read somewhere that rates of lung cancer are increasing, but the rates of lung cancer in the under 50's was decreasing. It's because people are living longer. And the longer you live the higher the chance of contracting it.
    My mother in law is in her middle 60's and is at the end stages of her battle with lung cancer - she is hardly old and was about to start enjoying her retirement when she got ill. I have collected for another cancer charity and most women that I spoke to said that breast cancer was the only one that they could get, there is a lot of ignorance about the subject, not helped by the media. I do have an aunt with breast cancer but she is in her 80's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There's a hell of a lot more ads on tv about ED than testicular or prostate cancer... Apparantly being able to get a boner is more important than staying alive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

It's really a testament to women and in particular breast cancer groups that it gets highlighted and therefore funded so much. It's not just prostate cancer that is comparatively poorly highlighted / funded, most illnesses seem to be. I was talking to a diabetes specialist recently in a Dublin hospital and he mentioned that one of his patients was running in the women's mini marathon (for a type 1 diabetes patient it's that bit harder, so it was great to hear). He also mentioned that she was raising money for Breast Cancer for it. There she is with a grossly underfunded disease that will probably kill her, if not directly through complications, as well as having a huge impact on her daily life, but still she feels that Breast Cancer is more deserving. That seems crazy to me.

blue note wrote: »
    It's really a testament to women and in particular breast cancer groups that it gets highlighted and therefore funded so much. It's not just prostate cancer that is comparatively poorly highlighted / funded, most illnesses seem to be. I was talking to a diabetes specialist recently in a Dublin hospital and he mentioned that one of his patients was running in the women's mini marathon (for a type 1 diabetes patient it's that bit harder, so it was great to hear). He also mentioned that she was raising money for Breast Cancer for it. There she is with a grossly underfunded disease that will probably kill her, if not directly through complications, as well as having a huge impact on her daily life, but still she feels that Breast Cancer is more deserving. That seems crazy to me.
    As a type 1 daibetic since I was 10 I disagree about the diabetes - having oesopgageal cancer was far worse and has affected my life much more even though I am a 6 year survivor now.

I tend to support Movemr because there is so little highlighting 'men's' cancers but I still think that there should be more emphasis on Lung cancer, maybe the first week of each of our so called seasons - it is a huge killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

As a type 1 daibetic since I was 10 I disagree about the diabetes - having oesopgageal cancer was far worse and has affected my life much more even though I am a 6 year survivor now.

I tend to support Movemr because there is so little highlighting 'men's' cancers but I still think that there should be more emphasis on Lung cancer, maybe the first week of each of our so called seasons - it is a huge killer.

Firstly, delighted to hear you got over oesopgageal cancer.

My point really was relating to the level of coverage and funding that, in particular, breast cancer gets. Since the survival rates are so high from Breast Cancer and there are far fewer long term implications than type 1 diabetes, I actually wonder which is worse to be diagnosed with, but the funding it receives is enormous. By comparrison, the funding that diabetes (in particular type 1 I feel), is very low. So it surprises me greatly that the girl would raise money from breast cancer when she could have chosen diabetes.

Movember is a great idea and I hope it continues to grow in strength. And just to reiterate, I think the breast cancer organisations are fantastic and that others could learn a massive amount from them!

blue note wrote: »
    Firstly, delighted to hear you got over oesopgageal cancer.

My point really was relating to the level of coverage and funding that, in particular, breast cancer gets. Since the survival rates are so high from Breast Cancer and there are far fewer long term implications than type 1 diabetes, I actually wonder which is worse to be diagnosed with, but the funding it receives is enormous. By comparrison, the funding that diabetes (in particular type 1 I feel), is very low. So it surprises me greatly that the girl would raise money from breast cancer when she could have chosen diabetes.

Movember is a great idea and I hope it continues to grow in strength. And just to reiterate, I think the breast cancer organisations are fantastic and that others could learn a massive amount from them!
    I can only eat small amounts, constantly risk getting ill from dumping syndrome, have fragile diabetes as a result of the surgery but I am alive. Oesophageal cancer affects a smaller proportion of people than breast or lung cancer but it is still one of the top 10 killers because it has such a high mortality rate. When I lost my hair I was suprised how upset I was, I can only imagine how upsetting loosing a breast could be.

A lot of women and some men get breast cancer and so while the survival rate is relativly high there are still a lot of people that die from it.

I still feel that the month is too much. Women do tend to promote their own health better but lung cancer is suspiciciously absent as there is a lot of guilt attached in getting lung cancer as some people will say that it is their fault (I disagree). It is the same with diabetes as a lot of people assume that it is their fault. The media has a lot to answer for. Type 1 and 2 are different illnesses but are lumped together.

I feel that we should have more awareness of all cancers not just so called female ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

How do you check for lumps in a bag of lumps?

• Advertisement

My mother in law is in her middle 60's and is at the end stages of her battle with lung cancer - she is hardly old and was about to start enjoying her retirement when she got ill. I have collected for another cancer charity and most women that I spoke to said that breast cancer was the only one that they could get, there is a lot of ignorance about the subject, not helped by the media. I do have an aunt with breast cancer but she is in her 80's.

That was my point. 60 isn't old nowadays because we live longer. 100 years ago 60 was old. Even 30 years ago 60 was old. The average life expectancy has increased. The percentage of people over 50 getting cancer hasn't increased. But the number of them has because there's more.
    So over all there are more people getting cancer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

It's just strange that cancer in men is not mentioned as much in the media as it is in women. Surely testicular and prostate cancer affects and kills as many men, or even that men can also get breast cancer, but this is even less heard about.

Movember has been pretty big the last few years. And yeah, men can get breast cancer but it is far less common than in women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Perhaps the idea of Male/Female cancers needs to be scrapped entirely. How about basing everything on risk and not doing gender politics?

How about the Dip in the Nip??

The summer dips this year got amazing support this year...by women.

The September Blue Dip had to be cancelled due to lack of interest.

I think not only has it got to do with the media highlighting female cancers more, but that not only are men unwilling to go to the doctor about it, they're unwilling to talk about it, or fundraise for it, particularly in Ireland.

There does need to more focus on men's cancer and more awareness campaigns put in place with well known people telling guys to 'checks their balls' or whatver way they want to put it.

It's not just male cancers that need more focus in the country, but also skin cancer. It's the most prevalent cancer in this country yet people here to little or nothing to prevent it...and it's very easily prevented.

Advertisement