Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halo 4 Leaked

• 13-10-2012 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Okay so Halo 4 has been leaked more than 3 weeks ahead of release date. Does anyone think this will damage sales at all and will anyone be taking a look before buying?

I wasn't a fan of Reach too much. I might try get back into it and give it another go before I get Halo 4 though.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I wouldn't say it would be too damaging. Games aren't as easy to pirate as music or movies, as you'd need an altered console. I'd imagine Halo4 will still sell by the shipload!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Only thing this'll do is fill the internet with spoilers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Awful lot of people get halo for the multiplayer and from my understanding its an instant ban and the console gets bricked playing the copy online, so don't think it will damage sales much.Same as with call of duty(Pc). Plenty of pirated copies around but near to impossible to play multi player.If any thing it'll probably result in bigger sales from idiots having to buy new consoles from going online with it a month before its released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Hasn`t every Halo been leaked early anyway. It being leaked early won`t make a difference to sales cause the people who pirate now were probably going to do so in a few weeks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

It happens, Forza horizon has been leaked 2 weeks before release aswell. If you play online you will get a ban fairly quickly even if you have a genuine copy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

iMuse wrote: »
    If you play online you will get a ban fairly quickly even if you have a genuine copy.

Not true, only hacked consoles playing the pirate versions will.

I have played a good few AAA titles early over the years, they were all legit retail copies and I wasn't touched or know anyone who was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

How are these games leaked so early?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Headshot wrote: »
    How are these games leaked so early?

DVD manaufacturers, someone nicks a copy from work.

If it happened in Europe well theres only 1 place it could have happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You'd think by now the gaming companies would beable to stop this. Would distributors only use one factory for manufacturer or is it in many?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

dreamers75 wrote: »
    DVD manaufacturers, someone nicks a copy from work.

If it happened in Europe well theres only 1 place it could have happened.

Looks to be of US origin going by the ratings I think? Source

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Headshot wrote: »
    You'd think by now the gaming companies would beable to stop this. Would distributors only use one factory for manufacturer or is it in many?

One company in Europe does all MSFT dvds/cds for EMEA(europe/middle east) regions. They would use more than one facility to make them, they used to have one in Ireland but long gone. Main plant is in Germany, their security is top notch but like anywhere nicking a dvd and giving it to a release group gets you a lot of money.

They do pay for these copies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

On the surface, I agree with people above - doesnt matter if its been leaked 3 weeks before release. As those who were intending on downloading it are just getting it sooner. As games generally get leaked 1 week before release to the net.

However! when you think about it, It is still bad ... Thats 3 weeks of every Tom, Dick and Harry voicing their opinions of the game. If the general feeling is postive - thats good. If its bad - it can hurt sales. people who felt it was a launch day buy could just rent or wait till its cheaper. After all why do video game companies go so far out of their way to enforce an embargo on reviewing the game. Which usually ends the day before or on release day - they are 'cautious' of pre-release opinions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Could potentially damage the hype building exercise, but I would imagine sales will still be very strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's another halo game, it will sell like cupcakes anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

yoyo wrote: »
    Looks to be of US origin going by the ratings I think? Source

Nick

oddly, that's the photo the gaming liberty posted alongside their claim that they'd just had halo 4 arrive...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

So...ahhmmm....has anyone played it yet?
    trying to avoid spoilers about it but there is still apart of me that wants to know if its any good and where the whole thing is heading.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭stan 117

Meatwad wrote: »
    trying to avoid spoilers about it but there is still apart of me that wants to know if its any good and where the whole thing is heading.

yh a friend got it yesterday.. great game 343 stuido's nailed the game play and it has to be one of the best looking games on the 360,
    only played a few levels so not really up to date with the story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Meatwad wrote: »

I haven't played it - pre-ordered though - my concern is cheaters online - I'm buying for the campaign - I'm curious to see how the story unfolds - and - this will be my last 'online' game on xbox live if the cheats and/or network glitches have not been sorted - I'm beginning to wonder is the PSN any better?

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I see in the gaming news today, there will be perma bans for anyone found playing Halo 4 before release.

I can't imagine that there is anything too major to spoil anyways storywise in a Halo game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

after the terrible disappointment that i found Halo 3 to be after the very mediocre halo 2, never mind the other 2 games, i wont be going too mad on this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,560 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm not Halo's biggest fan but I thought Reach was excellent other than the woeful story so I'm optimistic about this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭iMuse

I have played a good few AAA titles early over the years, they were all legit retail copies and I wasn't touched or know anyone who was.

Wrong, They are banning anyone who plays online with Halo 4. They won't ban people who play a week or so before release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

once review copies are in the wild, nobody gets banned for playing online before release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,579 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Helix wrote: »

once review copies are in the wild, nobody gets banned for playing online before release

Exactly, I had legit copies of Halo 2 and 3 nearly 3 weeks before street date through friends working in MS and played online with no hassle, all they did was reset the scoreboards before release....

If you can get a review copy that early and its a legit xbox there is no hassle...

This is the first Halo game I have no interest in at all, I disbanded the franchise when Bungie did and although I'm curious to check out the campaign, and see where the story arc goes, I don't think ill check this one....

Unless I get a pre release copy... :P

Advertisement