Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic and Northern Ireland will eventually be reunited, predicts Enda Kenny

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭marky1905

Glassheart wrote: »
    You'll never understand because the political position of your ilk is to suck on the teet of the English taxpayer while Nationalists want an independent Ireland that will stand on it's own without foreign interference.

Furthermore,they would live in a country where the influence of goons like Paisley,McCausland (and all those other creationist weirdos) would be halved overnight.

Most catholics in NI are happy to remain part of UK at the minute, looking at the state of the republic and realising that maybe a vote for the union isn't such a bad thing.

Your right paisley and mccausland and the rest of the DUP are goons, but the likes of gerry kelly and john o'dowd lol are hardly much better, john o'dowd isn't even human, he looks more like some sort of extra terrestrial space creature!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Glassheart wrote: »
    The 7 billion from the English taxpayer was a political gesture.Our fate wasn't exactly hinged on it.

The idea that this money - or any other 'bailout' money - was necessary is a debate for another day.

send it back then........you don't need anybody's help.....

Dont confuse the republican mentality with the loyalist/unionist one. republicanism is about whats genuinely best for the country, everybody wins

Aye, cause we all know blowin up town centres is whats genuinely best for the country!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

If this thread is to stay open, everyone needs to dial down the rhetoric. Comments like 'your ilk', 'stupid wee country', etc. aren't conductive to rational debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

marky1905 wrote: »
    you know as well as i do a united ireland scenario would be a victory of one side over the other, one side rubbing the others face in it, we won youse uns lost, there's no doubt it would lead to more violence.

It's easy to see that you come from a 'culture' that traditionally did little but 'rub the other side's face in it' and that might make it a little challenging for you to think in anything but false dichotomies such as 'we won - youse'uns lost'.

As has been pointed out to you you shouldn't equate paleo-Unionism with the seeking of equal civil and political rights and aspirations to achieve a United Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

It's easy to see that you come from a 'culture' that traditionally did little but 'rub the other side's face in it' and that might make it a little challenging for you to think in anything but false dichotomies such as 'we won - youse'uns lost'.

As has been pointed out to you you shouldn't equate paleo-Unionism with the seeking of equal civil and political rights and aspirations to achieve a United Ireland.

What culture would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Aye, cause we all know blowin up town centres is whats genuinely best for the country!!
    The IRA (amongst others) set off bombs. republicanism did not

seeking of equal civil and political rights lol, things have changed alot since you packed up and headed down mexico way! Downtrodden catholics of the malone road doen't exactly sound right does it!! atleast i dont come from a 'culture' that desperatly tries to compare itself with the genuinely oppressed peoples in the world like the palestinians or blacks in 1950s america so much so that they actually believe it!!

atleast i dont come from a 'culture' that desperatly tries to compare itself with the genuinely oppressed peoples in the world like the palestinians or blacks in 1950s america so much so that they actually believe it!!

Pfff.. the Black folk of 1950's US and the Palestinians?

Shure they were living in luxury compared to slaves a few generations earlier.

Actually why stop at slavery. Slaves had a life of luxury compared to the Jews of Nazi Europe.

Jesus Christ are we actually playing oppressed peoples top trumps here?

• Advertisement

Pfff.. the Black folk of 1950's US and the Palestinians?

Shure they were living in luxury compared to slaves a few generations earlier.

Actually why stop at slavery. Slaves had a life of luxury compared to the Jews of Nazi Europe.

Jesus Christ are we actually playing oppressed peoples top trumps here?

Sure it was the jews of nazi europe you originally compared yourselves to until they started being nasty to the palestinians so you jumped aboard that bandwagon instead!

If we were playing oppressed peoples top trumps here northern irish catholics would surely take first prize , your not called the most oppressed people ever ever ever for nothing!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

The big issue which will turn things around in the North is the demographic shift. catholics are increasing in number and reaching a position where they are going to increasingly control local and national government.
    The English government is increasingly concerned with its pocket book and is going to reduce the financial contribution to NI. IMO the protestant leadership stayed with the UK for economic reasons and will leave it of the own accord for the very same reasons.
    The Home Rule, Rome Rule issue is long gone and economics will be the deciding factor.

Sure it was the jews of nazi europe you originally compared yourselves to until they started being nasty to the palestinians so you jumped aboard that bandwagon instead!

If we were playing oppressed peoples top trumps here northern irish catholics would surely take first prize , your not called the most oppressed people ever ever ever for nothing!!

Fantastic caricatures you've created from your vivid imagination.

Fantastic caricatures you've created from your vivid imagination.

its true though!! you only have to look at that republican mural on the lower falls that compares arkansas 57 not only with holy cross ardoyne 2001 but with south belfast 09 when the roma gypsies got put out of the lisburn road, jump onto whatever bandwagon suites, the mural says on it "everyone one has the right to live free from sectarian/racist harassment", but only a few months ago a shot was fired through the window of a filippino family in the same area, maybe they should add that onto the mural too!! but it was probably loyalists that came in to distillery street in the middle of the night and done it just to make republicans look bad!! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

seeking of equal civil and political rights lol, things have changed alot since you packed up and headed down mexico way! Downtrodden catholics of the malone road doen't exactly sound right does it!! atleast i dont come from a 'culture' that desperatly tries to compare itself with the genuinely oppressed peoples in the world like the palestinians or blacks in 1950s america so much so that they actually believe it!!

its true though!! you only have to look at that republican mural on the lower falls that compares arkansas 57 not only with holy cross ardoyne 2001 but with south belfast 09 when the roma gypsies got put out of the lisburn road, jump onto whatever bandwagon suites, the mural says on it "everyone one has the right to live free from sectarian/racist harassment", but only a few months ago a shot was fired through the window of a filippino family in the same area, maybe they should add that onto the mural too!! but it was probably loyalists that came in to distillery street in the middle of the night and done it just to make republicans look bad!! :pac:

MOD NOTE:

These posts have little to do with re-unification. Please stay on topic if you want to continue posting in this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 queen of Umaill

If Scotland are having a referendum on it why is it not happening here?Since Ireland is one land and Scotland is actually UK territory.So wouldn't it make more sense for one here and not there?
    Yet they are having one!
    It seems to me some people are afraid that united Ireland would be the winner.
    How condescending and ignorant those comments of a poll on the subject would be a waste of money.So only if its in their favour is it worth it.Shows you some peoples rights and beliefs and needs and wants are still being ignored up north as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

If Scotland are having a referendum on it why is it not happening here?Since Ireland is one land and Scotland is actually UK territory.So wouldn't it make more sense for one here and not there?
    Yet they are having one!
    It seems to me some people are afraid that united Ireland would be the winner.
    How condescending and ignorant those comments of a poll on the subject would be a waste of money.So only if its in their favour is it worth it.Shows you some peoples rights and beliefs and needs and wants are still being ignored up north as usual.

They´ll have their referendum in Autumn 2014 and it´s not yet clear that the SNP will achieve the majority in favour of Independence as they hope and predict.

In my opinion, and it´s just an opinion, NI would have to think about a referendum regarding unification with the Republic of Ireland if Scotland votes for independence and so the United Kingdom goes into history. This Union only could function with England and Scotland as the backbone of it. Wales is too small and NI even a bit smaller to run their affaires entirely on their own. By this I mean all of them, not only having an parliamentlike Assembly, but also taking up these parts of government the UK provides for and to them (like Border Agency, Armed Forces, Customs ectr.). Therefore it´d be easier to integrate NI into the Republic of Ireland than to exist as an small state of their own. There might be also some people in Wales who may wish to get Wales independent, but anyhow I think that with the break up of the Union between Scotland and England, the whole of that Union would be put on the road to dissolvement.

Thomas_I wrote: »

They´ll have their referendum in Autumn 2014 and it´s not yet clear that the SNP will achieve the majority in favour of Independence as they hope and predict.

In my opinion, and it´s just an opinion, NI would have to think about a referendum regarding unification with the Republic of Ireland if Scotland votes for independence and so the United Kingdom goes into history. This Union only could function with England and Scotland as the backbone of it. Wales is too small and NI even a bit smaller to run their affaires entirely on their own. By this I mean all of them, not only having an parliamentlike Assembly, but also taking up these parts of government the UK provides for and to them (like Border Agency, Armed Forces, Customs ectr.). Therefore it´d be easier to integrate NI into the Republic of Ireland than to exist as an small state of their own. There might be also some people in Wales who may wish to get Wales independent, but anyhow I think that with the break up of the Union between Scotland and England, the whole of that Union would be put on the road to dissolvement.

Northern Ireland's membership of the uk isnot dependent on Scotland, just because Scotland got independence ( which I don't think is going to happen) does not mean northern Irish unionists are suddenly going to have a change of heart, the same desire not to be part of the Republic of Ireland will still exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

junder wrote: »
    Northern Ireland's membership of the uk isnot dependent on Scotland, just because Scotland got independence ( which I don't think is going to happen) does not mean northern Irish unionists are suddenly going to have a change of heart, the same desire not to be part of the Republic of Ireland will still exist.

I neither said nor meant that. It´s just a conclusion from the opinion I have about the Union between England and Scotland and some theories in my mind if and when this Union might going to be dissolved. It´s also not a question to me weather northern Irish Unionists are getting a change of heart, it´s more a question of what will happen after the Union is dissolved and weather England will or could afford to keep a Union with the remaining parts of the current UK.

From what I´ve read about Unionism in NI I got the impression that the core of that is the existence of the UK as a whole and their loyalty to the Crown. Which is also important in that relation is their own preseption as "not beeing Irish" according to their ancestory which were of Scottish and English origine. Just to mention the "Ulster Scots" for example.

Quite frankly, I´m not so sure that in the end the Scottish people could vote in a majority in favour of independence. There are still two years to go until the referendum will be held.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

enda kenny is full of sh!te, the last time he made reference to the north was when he was addressing the families of the kingsmill massacre who were looking to involve the southern security forces in the atrocity. while speaking to them he said that ''the ira was the common enemy of the people of ireland both north and south''. a typical response from a man who hasn't a clue and doesn't give a sh!t about reunification. it was great to see willie frazer among the deluded mob that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

paky wrote: »
    enda kenny is full of sh!te, the last time he made reference to the north was when he was addressing the families of the kingsmill massacre who were looking to involve the southern security forces in the atrocity. while speaking to them he said that ''the ira was the common enemy of the people of ireland both north and south''. a typical response from a man who hasn't a clue and doesn't give a sh!t about reunification. it was great to see willie frazer among the deluded mob that day.
    They were though.

• Advertisement

paky wrote: »

He is a two bit so and so.
    I was nearly going to give out about what you wrote,then realized you were quoting the idiot.
    I would say it's in the pipeline alot sooner than some believe it will be.:cool:

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    They were though.

God some people truely know nothing of their history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

People in NI are increasingly content with their lot. Barring a major change in circumstances a United Ireland is a long way off and IMO getting further away. The biggest threat or hope (depending on where you are coming from) is probably Scotland's future position in the UK but although we're 18 months out from that referendum it seems probable that Scotland will stay in the UK.

Anyway how do people see a United Ireland working? A simple annexation of the North into the South or a brand new settlement in which major concessions will have to be made, some unpalatable to many in the Republic. In saying that in such a circumstance Unionists would be giving up absolutely everything they stand for so maybe people in the Republic should be prepared for major compromise in order to achieve their dream of a United Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

God some people truely know nothing of their history.
    You're right. Some people don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You're right. Some people don't.

What army was Michael Collins a member of?

Now see that in the context of Enda, The Leader of FG, and Taoiseach of Ireland saying ''the ira was the common enemy of the people of ireland both north and south''

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

That's an interesting question, how would a united Ireland work? Ok so first day of a UI, people wake up, what happens? Where do they go to work? Where do they lift their benefits? Is health care free in the north? Do the guards take over? Will ni inherent some of the UK dept the way Scotland would if independent? If not does the UK strip the country? For example, do the Irish government just get all the contents of hospitals? Pensions for the civil service? Does the speed limit change? And if so should it be assumed the north should be the one to change? Do British army personal merge with the Irish to cover the extra security? Do security institutions have to support equal representation? Etc etc etc.

An Coilean wrote: »

What army was Michael Collins a member of?

Now see that in the context of Enda, The Leader of FG, and Taoiseach of Ireland saying ''the ira was the common enemy of the people of ireland both north and south''

Would that be the same ira that killed a prison officer today or a different ira?

Would that be the same ira that killed a prison officer today or a different ira?

Depends who you talk to I suppose, In my Opinion the people who Killed a prision officer today are a shower of s**m, in their opinion no doubt, they are one and the same.

But the point still stands that for Enda to say the IRA(not this, that or the other version of) were the enemy of the people north and south shows a serious lack of perspective, even of the history of his own party.

An Coilean wrote: »

Depends who you talk to I suppose, In my Opinion the people who Killed a prision officer today are a shower of s**m, in their opinion no doubt, they are one and the same.

But the point still stands that for Enda to say the IRA(not this, that or the other version of) were the enemy of the people north and south shows a serious lack of perspective, even of the history of his own party.

I guess it comes down to which ira he is Actully talking about then

I guess it comes down to which ira he is Actully talking about then

Thats the problem, He Said IRA, so its either all of them, or just the ones that just had IRA without a letter at the front, which would make even less sence from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

gallag wrote: »
    That's an interesting question, how would a united Ireland work? Ok so first day of a UI, people wake up, what happens? Where do they go to work? Where do they lift their benefits? Is health care free in the north? Do the guards take over? Will ni inherent some of the UK dept the way Scotland would if independent? If not does the UK strip the country? For example, do the Irish government just get all the contents of hospitals? Pensions for the civil service? Does the speed limit change? And if so should it be assumed the north should be the one to change? Do British army personal merge with the Irish to cover the extra security? Do security institutions have to support equal representation? Etc etc etc.

I think in Scotland's case they are having the referendum in 2014 and then if independence is passed negotiations over this kind of thing will occur. In Scotland's case in independence is passed in 2014 it may take a few years for it to actually become a reality. I don't think it can happen overnight. Likewise if a referendum in NI voted in a United Ireland in say April 2016 (just to be romantic) the Brits wouldn't pull out overnight, a process would begin and that process may take months if not years. That's how I think it would happen anyway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

bilston wrote: »

I think in Scotland's case they are having the referendum in 2014 and then if independence is passed negotiations over this kind of thing will occur. In Scotland's case in independence is passed in 2014 it may take a few years for it to actually become a reality. I don't think it can happen overnight. Likewise if a referendum in NI voted in a United Ireland in say April 2016 (just to be romantic) the Brits wouldn't pull out overnight, a process would begin and that process may take months if not years. That's how I think it would happen anyway.
    But how would it happen, do the pro independence people have any answers or plans? Mass unemployment etc?

gallag wrote: »
    But how would it happen, do the pro independence people have any answers or plans? Mass unemployment etc?

I believe we need all of Ireland together as one,no outside influences no interference's.The country is only at quarter of its capacity with the cut in the corner.It always has been.If The unionists actually lived up to their name(UNIONISTS) and united with us they would benefit greatly.The country would have more resources and we would be collaborating to the country flourishing and growing together,the whole country.Of course there would be some obstacles but when is there not? And i believe so long as the unionists hold on to the barrier between us and try to block the uniting of Ireland,there will never be proper reconciliation for them or for Ireland as a whole.
    Nothing can mend so long as they arent will to try it and by injecting into their children we are separate to Irish even though they are on Irish land it is always going to be them against us.

There is plans.
    We need them and they need us,at the moment they are just a unwanted boil on the UK's face,that the UK wants to remove.:P

I believe we need all of Ireland together as one,no outside influences no interference's.The country is only at quarter of its capacity with the cut in the corner.It always has been.If The unionists actually lived up to their name(UNIONISTS) and united with us they would benefit greatly.The country would have more resources and we would be collaborating to the country flourishing and growing together,the whole country.Of course there would be some obstacles but when is there not? And i believe so long as the unionists hold on to the barrier between us and try to block the uniting of Ireland,there will never be proper reconciliation for them or for Ireland as a whole.
    Nothing can mend so long as they arent will to try it and by injecting into their children we are separate to Irish even though they are on Irish land it is always going to be them against us.

There is plans.
    We need them and they need us,at the moment they are just a unwanted boil on the UK's face,that the UK wants to remove.:P

Irish soil? The whole subtext of that comment is that we unionists are not of this soil you talk of, ere go foreigners, you not think that attuitude is a little dated now, don't you

Irish soil? The whole subtext of that comment is that we unionists are not of this soil you talk of, ere go foreigners, you not think that attuitude is a little dated now, don't you

Get over it seriously,Its Irish land and soil.No your attitude is outdated still holding on to the you are within the UK and UK has any right to our land. Thats the outdated attitude that holds back any proper reconciliation between all sides and from holding back the Ireland's true potential.
    Could have sworn i didnt say anything of sort about unionists not being of this soil either.:confused:

Get over it seriously,Its Irish land and soil.No your attitude is outdated still holding on to the you are within the UK and UK has any right to our land. Thats the outdated attitude that holds back any proper reconciliation between all sides and from holding back the Ireland's true potential.
    Could have sworn i didnt say anything of sort about unionists not being of this soil either.:confused:

. I don't pretend to live in the uk, I live in the uk, I don't pretend to be British, I am British. I am not Irish, I never was nor will I ever be Irish, soon As you get your head around that the the sooner we can talk about reconciliation

. I don't pretend to live in the uk, I live in the uk, I don't pretend to be British, I am British. I am not Irish, I never was nor will I ever be Irish, soon As you get your head around that the the sooner we can talk about reconciliation

Who has the problem here.I think your words speak volumes,as i pointed out already who has the problem.No need for me to say another thing. Thanks for proving my point.

Who has the problem here.I think your words speak volumes,as i pointed out already who has the problem.No need for me to say another thing. Thanks for proving my point.

You have proved nothing other them how narrow minded you are. Why should I give up my identity? That's not reconciliation that's subjugation, there is a peace agreement in place that allows for some possible removal of the border, till then the matter is settled, only thing left is for you to reconcile yourself to the idea that there are people on this island that don't conform and do not wish to conform to what your ideal of a national identity is

You have proved nothing other them how narrow minded you are. Why should I give up my identity? That's not reconciliation that's subjugation, there is a peace agreement in place that allows for some possible removal of the border, till then the matter is settled, only thing left is for you to reconcile yourself to the idea that there are people on this island that don't conform and do not wish to conform to what your ideal of a national identity is

Again where did i imply you giving up identity? It would be just you are living under Irish united country.
    You are again the one with the narrow mind no one else.If i was narrow minded i would tell you to move to UK if you love it so much.
    Who told anyone to conform.See the aggression unfolding from your pours its proof in itself.
    Slán leat. Nothing more to say to you.You proved my point in three posts with your obvious hatred of idea of living and working side by side with Irish in united Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Reading through the various NI related threads on here I'm always reminded of this

The History Lesson

A Dutchman called Prince William,
    and an Englishman - King James,
    fell out and started feuding,
    and called each other names.

'Twas for the throne of England,
    but for reasons not quite clear,
    they came across to Ireland,
    to do their fighting here.

They had Sarsfield, they had Schomberg,
    they had horse and foot and guns,
    and they landed up at Carrick,
    with a thousand Lambeg drums

They had lots of Dutch and Frenchmen,
    and battalions and platoons,
    of Russians and of Prussians,
    and Bulgarian dragoons.

And they politely asked the Irish
    if they'd kindly like to join.
    and the whole affair was settled,
    at the Battle of the Boyne.

Then William went to London,
    and James went off to France,
    and the whole Kibosh left Ireland,
    without a backward glance.

And the poor abandoned Irish,
    said "goodbye" to King and Prince,
    and went on with the Fighting,
    and we've been at it ever since.

J Maurice Mullan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

It would be interesting to see the Unionists position if Scotland and perhaps Wales decide to go it alone. I doubt a lone England would be keen to continue to subsidise the North and the argument of Union with a United Kingdom that no longer exists apart from a few small islands and territories scattered around the globe would be quite hollow. I doubt we will see unification in the next 30 years due to the current economic woes. More than likely it will happen once the generations who were alive during the troubles are no longer actively involved in politics and the troubles are no longer in the living memory of the majority.

It would be interesting to see the Unionists position if Scotland and perhaps Wales decide to go it alone. I doubt a lone England would be keen to continue to subsidise the North and the argument of Union with a United Kingdom that no longer exists apart from a few small islands and territories scattered around the globe would be quite hollow. I doubt we will see unification in the next 30 years due to the current economic woes. More than likely it will happen once the generations who were alive during the troubles are no longer actively involved in politics and the troubles are no longer in the living memory of the majority.

Not when there is still that hatred and bigotry towards living under Irish rule being injected into generation after generation by the few.
    It will happen,but will happen without consent of minority of unionists and then they will just have to live with it.Like the Irish in North havent had choice but just live with it.Which imo is the only way it will ever get accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

queen of Umail and Junder, take your squabble to pm if you want to continue it, thread has gone reasonably well so far, no need for petty squabbles.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    queen of Umail and Junder, take your squabble to pm if you want to continue it, thread has gone reasonably well so far, no need for petty squabbles.

Sorry i wasnt trying to do that.

I agree with Junder here. We have to accept that a considerable number of people on this island identify themselves as being British and British only.

That wouldn't change in the event of a UI if/when it happens.

• Advertisement

Not when there is still that hatred and bigotry towards living under Irish rule being injected into generation after generation by the few.
    It will happen,but will happen without consent of minority of unionists and then they will just have to live with it.Like the Irish in North havent had choice but just live with it.Which imo is the only way it will ever get accepted.

One of the ones arrested for the murder of The police officer Stephen Carroll was a 17 year old, so the poisoning of the next generation is not just the reserve of the unionist community. Moreover all I have said is I personlly reject an Irish identity not that i hate the irish idenity, as for a united Ireland might or might not happen, nothing is certain, although recent study's have shown that more and more people from the catholic community are happy with the present arrangement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

One of the ones arrested for the murder of The police officer Stephen Carroll was a 17 year old, so the poisoning of the next generation is not just the reserve of the unionist community. Moreover all I have said is I personlly reject an Irish identity not that i hate the irish idenity, as for a united Ireland might or might not happen, nothing is certain, although recent study's have shown that more and more people from the catholic community are happy with the present arrangement.

Its not as simple as that when you come from ireland. Everyone bar yourselves consider you irish. Hardly ideal having to constantly correct and explain to people... "yes i'm from the island of ireland but i'm not irish, my people came over from scotland and i'm ulster scots now you see. Never mind that the word ireland and irish are contained in the name of the place i call home.. i'm not irish and thats that. Never mind that i don't even live in britain i'm still british".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I am not sure I follow your rhetoric, you "reject" YOUR Irish identity????? You are Irish, if you are not Irish what are you? You appear to have a very warped idea of this island of ours, you can be Irish, Protestant and a unionist believe it or not.

I am not sure I follow your rhetoric, you "reject" YOUR Irish identity????? You are Irish, if you are not Irish what are you? You appear to have a very warped idea of this island of ours, you can be Irish, Protestant and a unionist believe it or not.

Irish is not my identity, it's yours. My identity is British.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Irish is not my identity, it's yours. My identity is British.

History lesson for you mate :)

Great Britain (Welsh: Prydain Fawr, Scottish Gaelic: Breatainn Mhòr, Cornish: Breten Veur, Scots: Great Breetain), also known as Britain, is an island situated to the north-west of Continental Europe. It is the ninth largest island in the world, the largest European island and the largest of the British Isles. With a population of about 60.0 million people in mid-2009, it is the third most populous island in the world, after Java and Honshū. Great Britain is surrounded by over 1,000 smaller islands and islets. The island of Ireland lies to its west. Politically, Great Britain may also refer to the island itself together with a number of surrounding islands which constitute the territory of England, Scotland and Wales.[7][3][8][9] [10][11]
    All of the island is territory of the sovereign state of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and most of the United Kingdom's territory is in Great Britain. Most of England, Scotland, and Wales are on the island of Great Britain, as are their respective capital cities: London, Edinburgh, and Cardiff.
    The Kingdom of Great Britain resulted from the political union of the kingdoms of England and Scotland with the Acts of Union 1707 on 1 May 1707 under Queen Anne. In 1801, under a new Act of Union, this kingdom merged with the Kingdom of Ireland to create the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland. After the Irish War of Independence (1919–1921) most of Ireland seceded from the Union, which then became the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
    The relatively limited variety of fauna and flora on the island is due to its size and the fact that wildlife has had little time to develop since the last glacial period. The high level of urbanisation on the island has contributed to a species extinction rate that is about 100 times greater than the background species extinction rate.

You live in Northern Ireland, not Great Britain, so you cannot be British, you are living a lie

• Advertisement
Advertisement