Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repair broken capstone - options

• 13-10-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭

I've a decorative stone wall at the front of the property, it's capped with a row of heavy stone caps - each 18" by 30" by 5" thick.

At some stage in the distant past the corner of one has been broken off, and, naturally, it is the one that is immediately obvious. I can't hide it, or swap it, as the caps are all different and have a railing set into them, so I'm hoping to repair it.

The chunk missing is triangular - 5" by 4", and the full thickness.

The stone is a pink/grey sandstone and a very well weathered darker grey.

I'm looking for advice as to the best approach to repair - materials, adhesion etc.

My initial thoughts are to drill into the existing stone and bond in some stainless steel heli-bar strips or similar, and find a grey textured filler to build up into the shape I want, finishing off with a dusting of ground up stone.

Would this work? I'd plan on hacking at the stone at the mating surface with the diamond disk, in order to remove the weathering/pollution, and to key the new material in.

My main concern is ensuring it will be robust, frost proof and weatherproof.

I know it will look different, but I'm trying to make it unobtrusive, and I've been successful with matching colours on old pointing in the past, so I trust my eye for these things.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

any photos. jack

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Sure, here's a picture - technology and my typing skills permitting.

To give an idea of scale, that's a scaffold pole to the side (I'm using it as a gate post,paint it black and put a topon it and it will be fine).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭browner85

have u the piece that broke off?

browner85 wrote: »
    have u the piece that broke off?

No such luck! If I did I'd have stuck it back on with cement. I've even thought about making a new corner and sticking that on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

I would say drill a few holes, put in a few anchors, make a shutter and cast a mix of the colour you think best matches .Vibrate.
    Then a few hours later form the shapes in the fresh mix before it is set.

policarp wrote: »
    I would say drill a few holes, put in a few anchors, make a shutter and cast a mix of the colour you think best matches .Vibrate.
    Then a few hours later form the shapes in the fresh mix before it is set.

Sounds good, sure even if it breaks of, I can just point it up - better than what's there now! Job for the next dry mild day.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

It seems like you have it sorted but just thought you might like this, How to repair a decorative stone wall. :D

302535_373856766025631_310741886_n.jpg

Advertisement