Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1/2Tb Media player without network options.

Options
  • 13-10-2012 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hey everybody,
    I'm looking for decent sized media player hard drive which needs both hdmi and composite as ill be using it on tv, tube and flat screen and also monitor(though not sure if i have sound in monitor).
    to play the usual video files is all i really need it for.
    simple folder folder making and archiving is necessary like any other harddrive.
    i was hoping to pay 100-150 for it.

any ideas?

jimmy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

jimmymal wrote: »
    Hey everybody,
    I'm looking for decent sized media player which needs both hdmi and composite as ill be using it on tv, tube and flat screen and also monitor(though not sure if i have sound in monitor).
    to play the usual video files is all i really need it for.
    simple folder folder making and archiving is necessary like any other harddrive.
    i was hoping to pay 100-150 for it.

if you know of anything on offer anywhere or something that might suit me please let me know.

jimmy
    There are so many choices..
    Some decent priced ones here

Seagate GoFlex 2TB
    Cyclone Primus 2TB

WDTV (Add a Hard Drive)

You have to buy HD separate for these also
    http://www.peekton.com/192096-boitier-multimedia

Also

Xtreamer.net

Also any of the Android sticks and a Hard Drive

MK802+
    MK808
    UG802

IPTV U Host

You could buy something basic like THIS or THIS and add an external Hard Drive.

I'd probably go with a HTPC for the extra bit of cash.

Zotac ZBOX + RAM + Hard Drive

Loads more Info about HTPC's - HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭Torqay

+1 for the wee WD TV Live. Many formats supported, HDMI + composite (and does networking). Good value, you'll have enough money left to buy a 1 TB HDD. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Torqay wrote: »
    +1 for the wee WD TV Live. Many formats supported, HDMI + composite (and does networking). Good value, you'll have enough money left to buy a 1 TB HDD. ;)
    Mines gave me nothing but bother, stuttering, flickering, stopping 5 mins from end for no reason.

Updated many times, "done all the tricks", started Thread over on there Forums where their is many MANY people having the same problems. Only help they gave was to "reset box back to out of the box" which was no help either.

Definitely wouldn't recommend it.

It gathers dust now...

Got mine about two yrs ago (1st gen WD TV Live), no probs, plays 1080p MKV just fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

Torqay wrote: »
    Got mine about two yrs ago (1st gen WD TV Live), no probs, plays 1080p MKV just fine.
    Didn't think first gen did networking...maybe it did. I've the second one anyway, wasted many an hour on it.

• Advertisement

Didn't think first gen did networking...maybe it did. I've the second one anyway, wasted many an hour on it.

WD TV didn't do networking, WD TV Live always did... WD TV Live Plus (the one with Netflix support) had some troubles alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Did I pick it up right that a freeview HD tuner can have a hdd built in for recording, and also be able to playback media files from your pc, inc files via an external hdd through usb?

Can anyone recommend a good one that does this?

eyerer wrote: »
    Did I pick it up right that a freeview HD tuner can have a hdd built ihttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=81241299n for recording, and also be able to playback media files from your pc, inc files via an external hdd through usb?

Can anyone recommend a good one that does this?

Not 100% about this, and hopefully someone can confirm, or correct.

I think THESE can do that. I was told 3rd hand that they work with Saorview.

Stick a Hard Drive in them, they play most formats, all the common ones MKV, AVI, MP4 etc.. (Specifically the X264 and X264 PRO Models for MKV)

HERE IS THE ENGLISH MANUAL PDF (It says FR, but it's English)
    Page 29 for TV setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

Allyall wrote: »
    There are so many choices..
    Some decent priced ones here

Seagate GoFlex 2TB
    Cyclone Primus 2TB

WDTV (Add a Hard Drive)

You have to buy HD separate for these also
    http://www.peekton.com/192096-boitier-multimedia

Also

Xtreamer.net

Also any of the Android sticks and a Hard Drive

MK802+
    MK808
    UG802

IPTV U Host

You could buy something basic like THIS or THIS and add an external Hard Drive.

I'd probably go with a HTPC for the extra bit of cash.

Zotac ZBOX + RAM + Hard Drive

Loads more Info about HTPC's - HERE

Wow, thanks for all the info!

the cyclone primus was leading the pack before i posted here. but then i didn't know about half my options either.
    having had read a small bit about the android sticks im afraid it'll be a bit out of my reach technically, possibly the same with the HTPC but its something ill definitely consider before i make my decision.
    although it does seem to me the more complex something is the more ways it can go wrong and thats maybe why im not sure about it.

the media readers are something i had thought about and having used my brothers small little cyclone sumvision one on holiday i wasn't impressed by the fact it didn't play mkvs(i believe the newer ones have rectified that issue but not certain) and by the fact it had this little high pitched whine coming from it. not that noticeable when the tvs loud but a nightmare when it isn't. however some of the media readers shown here seem to be a better in terms of output options so maybe they're better over all.

im leaning toward the cyclone primus 2tb. its a good simple package that ticks all my boxes and comes ready to go. got good reviews on amazon as well.
    i wonder does it have a small little high pitched whine as well though.

anyway, thanks a million for your time and advice its much appreciated.

jimmy

Wow, thanks for all the info!

You're Welcome :)
    having used my brothers small little cyclone sumvision one on holiday i wasn't impressed by the fact it didn't play mkvs(i believe the newer ones have rectified that issue but not certain) and by the fact it had this little high pitched whine coming from it. not that noticeable when the tvs loud but a nightmare when it isn't.

Update the Firmware got rid of the Ssshhhhiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeeeeee noise. ;) I did that, then gave it to my sister, no noise at all anymore. Only seemed to happen with some of the older models.
    i wonder does it have a small little high pitched whine as well though.

Doubt it, not on the newer ones, as they were made aware of it.

If you are going for that one, look at Version 2 (An extra £10)

Here is is without a Hard Drive - FOR £34.20 but you'll have to add Hard Drive, roughly same price.

• Advertisement
Advertisement