Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost suitcase-PLEASE READ

• 13-10-2012 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Today my brother on his way from Limerick bus station (first stop was the hospital) to Listowel (passed through Rathkeale, Askeaton, Adare, Patricks Well, Newcastle West) suitcase (black with wheels) has gone missing. If anybody has any information or saw it, it might have fallen off or was taken by accident, please DM me. There is a substantial reward offered,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Louche Lad

Just to cover all the bases: did your brother raise this with the driver? What about raising this through whatever formal process the bus company has? And reporting to the Gardaí?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

Louche Lad wrote: »
    Just to cover all the bases: did your brother raise this with the driver? What about raising this through whatever formal process the bus company has? And reporting to the Gardaí?

Yes, all of the above! What happened was they stopped in Adare and a lady got on and said that some bags had fallen out of the luggage compartment but she had put them back on. He got to Listowel and found that his bag was not there, meanwhile some old guy came over and said he thought he saw bags fall off at Patricks Well but didnt say anything (:mad:) My brother told bus driver about his missing bag and his attitude (I was there at this stage to collect him) was a disgrace to say the least, he had a chip on his shoulder when my brother asked what should he do (in his bag is his passport, apple mac and a pricey camera which he borrowed from his mate) as well as cash, his glasses, key to his flat etc. Bus driver said "what do you expect me to do? I drive buses not babysit bags" We reported it Listowel Garda station who in turn rang stations in Adare and Patricks Well.
    The bus went straight to Tralee and when we arrived bus inspectors ahd gone till tomorrow a.m.
    The guy is sick with worry (we all are), not even bothered about cash (even though he recently lost his job) just the things in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

That is terrible - The attitude from the bus driver makes it worse? How in gods name did bags fall out of the bus? Was it driving with the doors open or something?

Mc Love wrote: »
    That is terrible - The attitude from the bus driver makes it worse? How in gods name did bags fall out of the bus? Was it driving with the doors open or something?

I think bags can slide around in the hold during the journey. If there's a marked camber in the road, the bags can pile up against the hold door and fall out when opening. I experienced this once myself in Limerick outside Brown Thomas when I opened the hold door and someone's bag fell out at my feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

Louche Lad wrote: »
    I think bags can slide around in the hold during the journey. If there's a marked camber in the road, the bags can pile up against the hold door and fall out when opening. I experienced this once myself in Limerick outside Brown Thomas when I opened the hold door and someone's bag fell out at my feet.

dont those doors have some of lock or safety catch to guard against such things?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 DanG76

Hiya, I'm actually the brother of the original poster and owner of the missing suitcase, I'm based in England so had never used this site until now. In reply to the last message, yes the buses do have locking systems, the problem was or is bags move about underneath and I'm assuming in this case when the storage doors automatically opened my suitcase fell out. Another issue is at one stage the driver pulled away from a stop while the doors were still in the process of closing. The bus has a form of cctv trained on the doors of the baggage storage and this would show what happened, I've been in to Bus Eirean this morning and was told that due to some sort of privacy rules or regs the cctv footage can only be accessed by supervisors at the depot in Limerick which I was told will happen tomorrow. I actually saw bags fall out from the underneath while looking at the cctv monitor that was over the drivers head.

In the meantime if anyone has any info or found the bag- most likely in Patrickswell or Adare I'm willing to pay a decent reward, especially for the camera which my mate borrowed from the art department of the school where she works.....:o...and my passport....:o:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

Try the individual Garda stations, they may be of more help than just Henry street who are overrun with calls:

Patrickswell: 061 355103
    Adare: 061 396216
    Also try Rathkeale: 069 63281

Good luck and I hope you get your suitcase back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 DanG76

meg3178 wrote: »
    Try the individual Garda stations, they may be of more help than just Henry street who are overrun with calls:

Patrickswell: 061 355103
    Adare: 061 396216
    Also try Rathkeale: 069 63281

Good luck and I hope you get your suitcase back.

Hi there, thanks a million for all that. I've spoken to the guards in the relevant towns and villages where the bus stopped and put in an incident report with my local garda- they were all very helpful. Until I get Bus Eireann to view the CCTV footage the issue is being classed as a 'lost' rather than 'stolen' item. At this stage I'd be delighted to get my passport back and cut my losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

That's terrible, I sincerely hope you get some good luck and retrieve what was lost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

don't have much advise but hope you get the bags back - or at least fully compensated for loss of the goods
    i had a guy once take my bag by mistake .. i was kinda freaking out cos i was on my way back to college at the other side of the country for 2 weeks and so would have little clothes .. cue a frantic guy pulling into the bus station at about 11pm at night with my bag ... he had realised his mistake and driven cross county borders to catch up with the bus at its final stop .. so hope you have as happy an outcome :cool:

• Advertisement

Just to let ye know my brother got his bag back, somebody found it and he got it back today with all its contents, thanks again for all yer help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Hey that's brilliant! Good stuff :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Nice to hear that there are decent people in the world! :)

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Passing person

three days' wait, but a successful outcome. Good news! Did the Gardai find it or was it a citizen ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Thats fantastic news!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Wow, so happy he got it back, wad thinking about it for the past few days. Update on how it was returned please?? :)

Great news!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

that's great news!
    he was lucky ! hope there wasn't any damage or anything to the camera

three days' wait, but a successful outcome. Good news! Did the Gardai find it or was it a citizen ?
    Wow, so happy he got it back, wad thinking about it for the past few days. Update on how it was returned please?? :)
    that's great news!
    he was lucky ! hope there wasn't any damage or anything to the camera

Thanks! He got an email yesterday from a guy (he tracked him down because his passport was in the bag) saying that while he was driving Saturday evening near Patricks Well he saw some young fellas at the side of the road with a suitcase and thought it looked suss so he pulled over and took the suitcase off them and contacted my brother, everything was as it should in the case including the camera (which he was most concerned with as it was his mates) and of course his passport. Laptop and his glasses were also intact. My brother and father drove down to Adare today to collect it from him, the fella was a Godsend, what were the chances!? AS someone said in an earlier post its nice to know there are some honest people out there! Thanks again for all yer help!x

By the ways just a lesson to all of ye if travelling on a bus take yer cases on board with ye if possible!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Good end to story.
    wonder if driver will be reprimanded for letting bag fall out door.

Good end to story.
    wonder if driver will be reprimanded for letting bag fall out door.

I think bags falling out of the door is a design thing, not a driver thing. Off the top of my head I can't think of a solution. I have noticed there are sometimes CCTV cameras trained on the left hand side of the bus, but maybe they are for safety purposes and not for spotting wayward bags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

pookiesboo wrote: »
    Thanks! He got an email yesterday from a guy (he tracked him down because his passport was in the bag) saying that while he was driving Saturday evening near Patricks Well he saw some young fellas at the side of the road with a suitcase and thought it looked suss so he pulled over and took the suitcase off them and contacted my brother, everything was as it should in the case including the camera (which he was most concerned with as it was his mates) and of course his passport. Laptop and his glasses were also intact. My brother and father drove down to Adare today to collect it from him, the fella was a Godsend, what were the chances!? AS someone said in an earlier post its nice to know there are some honest people out there! Thanks again for all yer help!x

So he robbed a suitcase off a bunch of kids? :eek: :D
    Good to hear he got it back.

I got off the 304 bus in limerick and 10 minutes later i realised my wallet wasn't in my pocket.
    I had no money on me or no way of getting money for the college week.
    There was only 15 euro in the wallet but all the cards and stuff were in it. I rang bus eireann and a guy rang all the drivers and rang me back a hour later and said no luck. I checked a few busses that stopped but no luck.
    After giving up and starting my walk home I saw another bus by debenams with 304 on it and went on and had a look. When I got off another one pulled up and I jumped on and went back to the back seat where I was and there the wallet was perfectly placed on the middle of the seat, with all the contents and money in it. Someone had placed it there cos I would of been sitting on it otherwise.

Least there are a few sound people out there. Dont know why they didnt hand it to the driver though.

pookiesboo wrote: »
    By the ways just a lesson to all of ye if travelling on a bus take yer cases on board with ye if possible!

I always shove my bag to the back of the hold (even though I have to almost crawl in to retrieve it). And I always keep a second, small backpack with me containing my valuables. Oh, and also I sit on the left side with a good view of people retrieving bags during my journey.

Advertisement