Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No lights in new Nature Park?

Options
  • 13-10-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I often walk the nature park in Kilbarry and its an excellent addition to the city but why on earth are there no lights for the dark period between 7pm and 10pm. During the week I headed up there at 7:30 to walk the dog and the place was pitch black, as in I could only walk 400metres before it became too annoying squinting to see, the only light was the cast-off from the nearby RSC pitch!

I know the Peoples Park have no lights either but Im surprised this park doesnt cater for the fact that Ireland spends half the year in darkness and given that so many people walk dogs, jog etc in the evenings, surely a few lights along the way would make sense without spoiling the look of the place (its hardly a scenic route as it is!), cant understand why they would open a park up to 10pm each night and yet not provide lighting? :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Nas10

I could'nt agree more with you but you will probably get the whole we can not afford it due to people not paying household charge rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

I'd say its more to do with keeping it as natural as possible rather than funds

I'd prefer to have the lights there myself

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Its a nature park and lights would interfere with the natural habitat for the wildlife that they are trying to re establish, but it is a pity because I definitely wouldn't be there late in the evening and anyone with a bit of cop on shouldn't be there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

<grin>

If only there was some way to bring a portable light source when you go walking, that would be so useful.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

<grin>

If only there was some way to bring a portable light source when you go walking, that would be so useful.:D

That could be a great business idea if someone could invent something like that !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

<grin>

Harnessing the power of the sun and carrying it with you

What kind of madness is this......

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Now I'm not from Waterford but if it's a Nature Park, I'd imagine the reason it has no lights is because the're trying to preserve nature.

Not really a spot for night walks but to enjoy nature as it is

If you must go for walks there in the dark you can invent buy one of these "portable light machines" and take them with you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I was in the sorcery shop earlier, and in there was a box with a switch. When this switch was flicked on this box daylight escaped. It. Was. Amaaaazing.
    I looked further and they had cylinders with daylight in them.
    Are people aware of these devices?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

If there as lights down there people would be giving out about people knacker drinking down there in the night time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Now I'm not from Waterford but if it's a Nature Park, I'd imagine the reason it has no lights is because the're trying to preserve nature.

Not really a spot for night walks but to enjoy nature as it is

If you must go for walks there in the dark you can invent buy one of these "portable light machines" and take them with you :pac:

Its a new park and the trees planted there will take years to reach maturity, plus its built around a bog and has a gas tank burning out waste from the dump nearby halfway along the route so a few lights wouldnt do that much damage. If they insist on having no lights then they should close the place around half 7 when its dark these days and let the locals nearby walk along the Tramore Road or the Ring Road. Or......put in a few lights and keep the footfall of joggers and dog walkers until 10pm, I know what I would pick.

And to the poster who said you should have more cop on than to walk alone at night in a nature park-Its Waterford, in the early evening. Im hardly likely to bump into a serial killer am i? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

And to the poster who said you should have more cop on than to walk alone at night in a nature park-Its Waterford, in the early evening. Im hardly likely to bump into a serial killer am i? :rolleyes:

Famous last words;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

You must be living a secluded life.Be aware should be the motto.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

eerrr, its a nature park so its intended for nature,
    Lighting the place would disrupt this somewhat, will cost money and would likely draw teenager drinking etc into the park.

If you really need to walk in the area then bring a headtorch or hand torch, I run during the winter and because I need to make up distances and don't want to use the same lit area all the time (it gets boring) I run with a headtorch in unlit areas. Works perfectly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

I've been mugged in broad daylight in Waterford. I wouldn't be so confidant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

There's no lights in the peoples park at night either, i would have thought if any park should get lighting its that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Searchlights for Peoples Park methinks.

Advertisement