Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amateur programmer/developer/graphics design community

Options
  • 13-10-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

After searching the web for a site in which amateurs looking for projects to start on or join and failing to find it, I decided to try and form a community in which amateurs/students etc can post ideas for applications/games etc and others can join them in the project. This could be done through a facebook group or something similar. If you would like to help in getting this started or know of something similar in operation please email me at seangallagher94@gmail.com

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Is there really nothing like that already? If not then its a great idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Seang0

Not that i could find basically if we created a facebook group where anybody can just post an idea for a project they want to do and others can join in and take on different roles e.g programmer, graphics design etc ill make one if i can get a few people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Would a dedicated website be better though? A facebook page would be good and all but would be useless for uploading source etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Don't know about dedicated sites to this specifically but there are usually communities that spring up around on various sites. Assembla does this I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bad idea to put your email on the web unless you want to attract a lot of spam.

Problem with ideas like this is the division of labour ends up being very uneven, people overate the value of their ideas and they tend to be the people bringing the least amount of skills and labour to the project. Designer and programmers often don't appreciate the work of the other.

Rather than a website you find this kind of thing on community websites and forums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dean_Mc

Is this not the whole idea behind the likes of Github and Codeplex?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ColonelChaos

Good idea, a dedicated webby would be much better as I do not use facecrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kael

I think it's a good idea as well, and I'd be very interested in participating in such a group/forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

*ahem*
    What's this forum then, chopped liver?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Is this not the whole idea behind the likes of Github and Codeplex?

+ 1
    amateurs looking for projects to start on or join and failing to find it

big problem with this is if all everyone employed is an amateur how will you know if what are you are doing is correct/efficient/best practice?

I'm not saying people who program for a living always write good clean code but without at least one or two professionals how will you learn ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kael

Sparks wrote: »
    *ahem*
    What's this forum then, chopped liver?

Not at all, I think this is a great forum. On the surface I thought the OP's idea was a good one because it'd be a place for amateurs to enhance their coding skills together. However amen raised a good point about learning if your code is written in the best way possible without input from actual professionals.
    I guess that's the good thing about a discussion board. You get exposed to a different side of the equation that you hadn't considered.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Seang0 wrote: »
    After searching the web for a site in which amateurs looking for projects to start on or join and failing to find it, I decided to try and form a community in which amateurs/students etc can post ideas for applications/games etc and others can join them in the project. This could be done through a facebook group or something similar. If you would like to help in getting this started or know of something similar in operation please email me at seangallagher94@gmail.com

Have you looked into joining a project on Random Hacks Of Kindness?

Advertisement