Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More RAM

Options
  • 13-10-2012 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

I'd like to get more RAM for my sys, curently I have: 4GB Kit OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum Low-Voltage CL7

Can I just get anything at all or should I match it, would this work: Corsair Memory 4GB DDR3 1333 Mhz CAS 9 Dual Channel Desktop? I've 2 spare slots so I can run quad-channel.

Are there issues/problems with running 2x2gig and 2x4gig, I might go for an extra 8gig since it's relatively cheap.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Do you know what motherboard you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Yeah it's an Asus M4A8TD-USB3

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You'll find that difficult to match since OCZ don't make RAM anymore.

That's not quad channel. It would be 2 modules in dual channel (for a total of 4).
    That RAM that you're looking at is a bit slower in the timings (i.e., higher timings), and I would try to match what you have.
    Of course, timings can always be changed in the BIOS to match what you have, but you might have to increase the timings on the old set to match the new, if you were to go for that set.

It would really be just as easy, as you say, to get another 8GB. AMD likes higher frequency too, so 1600MHz RAM might be a good one to go for. Probably similar enough or slightly better performance to CL7 1333MHz RAM.

Memoryc does free delivery by the way -
    http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr3ram/8gbgskillddr3pc312800ripjawsxseriesforsandybridge.html

I had memoryc open in another tab, just not got that far yet :)

The ram you linked, will it work with the old ram I have? There can't be much of a performance hit with different timings?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I was suggesting just a straight off replacement.

Your old RAM is 1333MHz CL7 while the new RAM is 1600MHz CL9.

Lower timings = faster.

Worst case scenario (besides not working), is that you'd have to run them at 1333MHz CL9. However, you can probably overclock the old RAM and increase the timings to match with the new or decrease the speed of the new and tighten the timings.

You can buy that RAM in slower speed but ironically, it's dearer.
    http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr3/8gbgskillddr3pc310666ripjawsxseriesforsandybridge.html

I suspect that most RAM from many of these manufacturers is much the same, whatever speed you are running at, just tweaked a slightly different way but the same capabilities.

• Advertisement

What about this: http://www.adverts.ie/desktop-hardware/2-x-2gb-ocz-ddr3-1333mhz-low-voltage-ram/1312324

Looks like it might still be available.

I'd rather add 8gig and have 12gig, 8 is prob ok but more will benefit me I guess. It's mainly photography (light) stuff I'd like the extra ram for.

Advertisement