Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Romantica Ice Cream - How Much?

Options
  • 13-10-2012 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I felt like buying crap tonight, as i gave up cigarettes. I know, i shouldn't be snacking unless it's chewing gum etc..

Anyway I bought a Romantica Ice Cream Cake.

I was shocked at the price, i thought it was €3.50 or there abouts, I'm aware of other foods having gone up a lot since i last bought them, In all fairness, i guessed at the price, i don't ever remember it actually being €3.50, i just didn't think it was that high.
    Bloody thing was €8.30. :eek: Is that about right, or did i get stung badly?

I can't find any supermarket comparison sites that work.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

8.30 seems right for Romantica, it's very expensive.

Dunnes sometimes have it on offer for about 4e, not very often though. Look out for special offers coming up to Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I thought you were complaining about EUR 3.50 but EUR 8.30 is ridiculous. This may be a Rip Off.

Where did you pay this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

juan.kerr wrote: »
    I thought you were complaining about EUR 3.50 but EUR 8.30 is ridiculous. This may be a Rip Off.

Where did you pay this?

Londis.

They're pretty expensive at the best of times, but i thought that was a bit much. When she scanned it at the till, i felt my face go red with embarrassment/anger, - i wanted to yell - SSSTTTOOOOPPP!! I dddoonn'tt waanntt itt... (Slow motion) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Yeah, wouldn't buy much in Spar / Londis / Centra / Mace etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I actually passed them in the Supermarket the other day and considered buying one but didn't think it would fit in the freezer. It is about €6.69 in tesco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Miaireland wrote: »
    I actually passed them in the Supermarket the other day and considered buying one but didn't think it would fit in the freezer. It is about €6.69 in tesco.

Yeah, a full Romantica can be a tight fit in the freezer but it's a shame to pass one by just for that reason.

My foolproof advice is this;
    Remove from box
    Discard wrapping
    Find; salad bowl, large knife, small spoon
    Slice
    Serve
    Sit
    Enjoy :D
    Share (optional) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They know you are stuck if buying something like that there, just like bags of sugar will cost a fortune. How much is a magnum on its own in convenience stores like this? I would guess €2, so would not expect a full cake of that standard or higher for 3.50.

A 750ml romantica is €6.69 in tesco. A 650ml vienetta is €2.69 in tesco. Both are walls branded, not HB, so probably intended for the UK market.

To me this is a signal that we can expect a half price romantica in tesco anytime soon!

As predicted! but took a while

In tesco
    Walls Romantica Dessert 750Ml HALF PRICE Was 6.69 Now 3.34 valid from 3/12/2012 until 31/12/2012

They have to keep it at a high price for a while to legally be able to say its reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 WeeH

Hi folks, I have been searching high and low to find this Romantica Ice cream cake.

I cant seem to see in anywhere online and was hoping to get one for a Christmas s present. I am just on the border near dundalk, are there any specific shops that have it? I can try to hunt it down then. Many thanks

H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I've seen it in Dunnes Stores (not out your direction though) they had it on special for €3 at the weekend.
    They also have it in Tesco, was on special for close to €4 my mother said earlier in the week.

• Advertisement

there 5 euro in centra atm

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

suddenly I crave vienetta

you bastards

WeeH wrote: »
    I cant seem to see in anywhere online and was hoping to get one for a Christmas s present.
    Don't mean to sound smart, but you realise its frozen right?! seems an odd present.
    suddenly I crave vienetta

you bastards
    On offer in tesco too! mint & regular
    HALF PRICE Was 2.69 Now 1.34 valid from 3/12/2012 until 31/12/2012

some newsagents probably charge more for a magnum

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

WeeH wrote: »
    Hi folks, I have been searching high and low to find this Romantica Ice cream cake.

I cant seem to see in anywhere online and was hoping to get one for a Christmas s present. I am just on the border near dundalk, are there any specific shops that have it? I can try to hunt it down then. Many thanks

H

tesco in the Old Shopping Centre in Dundalk will sort you out!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

rubadub wrote: »

On offer in tesco too! mint & regular
    HALF PRICE Was 2.69 Now 1.34 valid from 3/12/2012 until 31/12/2012

some newsagents probably charge more for a magnum

the diet can wait till tomorrow!

Lol, yes i know its an ice cream, but my fiend has not shut up about it for years. was hoping to get it and give it to her as an extra surprise. He has never been able to find it in any shops our way.

Thanks for all the posts folks. Will have to take a wee trip around the south this weekend. Hopefully come accross some. :)

Make sure you freeze it rock solid if transporting it. Supermarkets are notorious for having freezers that are not very cold. Romanticas are supposed to be a little defrosted before eating though, even says it on the box.

the diet can wait till tomorrow!

viennetta
    Reconstituted Skimmed Milk,Vegetable Fat ,Glucose-Fructose Syrup ,Water ,Sugar ,Whey Solids ,Fat Reduced Cocoa Powder ,Glucose Syrup ,Emulsifiers (Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids, Ammonium Phosphatides) ,Stabilisers (Locust Bean Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan) ,Flavourings
    some sort of bean in there, so obviously counts as one of your 5 a day ;):pac:

Advertisement