Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs Checkpoint on Ongar road today

Options
  • 13-10-2012 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭

About 3pm. Similar to Garda checkpoint but sign said Customs.

Customs officer looking at appears and waving people through. Few cars pulled over.

Anyone see it? Any idea what Customs do be looking for in these checkpoints :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Imported cars that haven't been reregistered here and had the appropriate VRT & VAT paid maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

passed it earlier (1.30)outside blanch shopping centre(lousy location causing traffic backup)
    dipping commercial vehicles for diesel and had a northern reg crew-cab pulled over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I used to live in Ongar about 7/8 years ago and they used to always have these checkpoints...near the littlepace roundabout!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Not just commercial vehicles. A fair number of regular motorists use laundered or tractor/green diesel which is much cheaper and maybe the cops were dipping for them. Also, with loads of illegal cigarettes being smuggled into the country, they may be doing checks for them?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I see a lot of these at the River Road/Dunsink Lane junction, seems to be mainly be laundered diesel they're after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Passed them in D5 on friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I heard they were dipping tanks there saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

saw them on bannchardstown road north last weekend. the 2nd time in the last year. I had never seen them before and now twice in the same year, they seem to be getting very frequent now.

I drove through the check point and they just waved me on when I got to the junction for the N3 I did see a large van drive of the off ramp and then do a uturn back the other way. So i would say he had somthing to hide.
    If you wanted to avoid them it was easy to do.

Advertisement