Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build - Gaming Rig - Opinions Welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Looks sweet, Ponster. You'll need a keyboard like that to hold up to the beating you'll give it after a bad night on BF3 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭deravarra

Just wish parts were that cheap this side of the pond ... I would be maxxing out on everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Personally I'd get a Twin Frozr HD7950 due to it's overclockability, it beats a GTX 670 when they are both overclocked.

Not to mention it's a good bit cheaper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Eboggles wrote: »
    Personally I'd get a Twin Frozr HD7950 due to it's overclockability, it beats a GTX 670 when they are both overclocked.

Not to mention it's a good bit cheaper.

The cheaper aspect is very interesting. I would hope though that I spend $400 on a card that I wouldn't have to overclock it to get it to play what I need. I understand that having the option though can be useful.

I chose the Asus GTX 670 based on Toms Hardwares reviews where it was one of the top cards but importantly, the quietest 670 tested (noise is usually an issue for me when living in a small apartment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Ponster wrote: »
    The cheaper aspect is very interesting. I would hope though that I spend $400 on a card that I wouldn't have to overclock it to get it to play what I need. I understand that having the option though can be useful.

I chose the Asus GTX 670 based on Toms Hardwares reviews where it was one of the top cards but importantly, the quietest 670 tested (noise is usually an issue for me when living in a small apartment).

I'll give the ASUS that; it's dead silent. If you want silence, then go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

That's an oldish series of PSU. I think that you should go for something better. Something like Seasonic's M12II 520W would serve you well, I'd say:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151093

I found some extra funds so i've updated the build slightly :

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pDwI

The $200 extra gets me:

New GFX card (7970 rather than the 670)
    New IPS Monitor
    New full size case (the old one is no longer available and the 7970 takes 3 slots)
    New PSU (thanks to Monotype)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

I'd personally look at something like a Define R4 as a case. Better built than anything from Rosewill by leaps and bounds. Should also be quieter too.

Thanks! Looks like a good successor to my Antec P180

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($169.99 @ Microcenter)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($144.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($29.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($106.98 @ Newegg)
    Video Card: Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($414.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($164.99 @ Newegg)
    Keyboard: SteelSeries 6Gv2 Wired Standard Keyboard ($87.49 @ NCIX US)
    Total: $1417.37
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-11-26 21:42 EST-0500)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

The only other thing I'd look at changing is the motherboard. Ever since P67, Gigabyte haven't been the most reliable in terms of their boards. I'd recommend the ASRock Extreme4, or Pro3 if you don't think you'll be overclocking like crazy / need multi-GPU support.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone. I purchased the lot last night and with a bit of luck I'll be putting it together this Friday. I got the lot for €1020 by shopping around a little.

So....

Got all the bits and pieces yesterday and put it all together. 3 hours later I hit the power button and...nothing!

I took out the GFX card tried again and nothing. So I unplugged everything from the motherboard and it west into POST. I then plugged the cables back onto the board, one-by-one and each time it went into POST.

When I plugged in the grx card it refused to start.

What I have discovered is that my card (7970) has 2 8-pin PCI-E connectors.

My PSU is supposed to come with one 6-pin and one 6+2 pin PCI-E connector though all I can see is the 6+2 pin (which makes 8 and is therefore ok for one of the power slots) and 2 4-pin connectors.

If I plug in the 6+2 and power on I get 1 green light on the gfx card and 1 red light (where there is nothing plugged in) and I go into POST.

If add the 2 4-pin connectors (which are labeled PCIE) then I get 2 green lights on the GFX card but when I power it up the power connector where I have the 2 4 pin connectors flashes red for a millisecond and then nothing else happens.

My thinking is that the 2 4 pin connectors are ATX12V and shouldn't have PCI marked on them and that I seem to be missing the 6-PIN PCI-E.

What I'm going to do is pick up a molex connector this afternoon and not use the 2 4-Pin connectors.

http://content.etilize.com/images/300/1021422965.jpg

Advertisement