Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catering for a crowd

Options
  • 13-10-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭

Hoping to have a party next month with approx 40-50 guests. Would appreciate any advice or suggestions on the best way to feed them. Should I opt for the giant pot of curry/bourguignon/whatever with rice or would it be better to maybe cook a turkey and a ham with loads of salads and serve it buffet style. Has anyone found that it works out cheaper to get caterers in ? I don't mind doing all the prep work and cooking the food but I really don't want to spend the evening in the kitchen. Any advice ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭EZ24GET

I'd do the turkey and ham with side salads and desserts. Try to get as much done the day before as possible. With everyone serving their self buffet style it is much more relaxing. At least that's what I've found. Not as messy either. Meats can be made ahead and sliced to serve room temp. Salads pulled from the fridge and a few desserts,
    Drinks you can enjoy your own party.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I just did food for a family party recently (not 50 people though I should admit).
    I made these tiny burgers and sauce. I basically made small ping pong ball sized meatballs and squished them flat and fried them. I used about a kilo of mince and got 50 mini burgers, served with a cup of sauce and cocktail sticks.

I also made two lasagnes which, when sliced up and served on paper plates, went a long way.
    The good thing about the lasagnes was they were prepared in disposable tin foil trays the night before, refrigerated and then cooked at the house the party was in.

EDIT - I second EZ24GET get as much done the day before as possible for your own sanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Where will you seat them?

Get the pros in if you can afford it.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

I done a party for 30 couple of weeks ago, done chicken curry and beef bourguignon served rice and crusty bread,dressed whole salmon with leaf salad, made the curry/ bourguignon in batches over couple of weeks and into the freezer,got a loan of soup kettles, and worked out great, more then enough as people had been snacking on bits we had left on tables, we done the serving out, all fed and plates cleared up in no time,no stress on the day, once you have a few people to help, we left the soup kettles on for those who wanted more later in the night
    best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭jos28

Thanks everyone, some great ideas. Chatted with my friends this morning who all offered to bring various salads which makes the turkey/ham idea really easy for me. All I would have to do is cook the meats and do the deserts. I can make some of those in advance and quite enjoy that bit. I can also make a vegetarian lasagne for the non-meat eaters. My son makes seriously good sushi, so we have those with drinks beforehand. I never thought about seating :eek: The last party I had was for over 80 people and we managed somehow. I have visions of people perched on the edge of chairs everywhere :D We have a small deck at the back of the house and we might cover that with a gazebo and put our garden table, chairs and patio heater out there. Here's hoping it all goes to plan !

• Advertisement
Advertisement