Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Landlord

Options
  • 13-10-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi All . I just wanted to worn you and to find out how many of similar stories are out there ?
    Basically I was looking for a new flat to rent in Dublin. And I have found one . This landlord ( tall , dark haired dude named Michael ) said that I can move in by the end if the month . Then he said it ll take another extra week to move in . Then he had another excuse and finally when I supposed to pick up the keys to flat he stopped answering his phone . Which made me homeless !!!!!!!!
    I know already that I m not the first he has done similar thing . I m just wondering how many more are out there . I m thinking of bringing this up to some newspaper . So let me know please .
    Many Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm not sure about naming and shaming on this site. The rules are pretty strict. You might want to edit the post...

Did you pay the deposit and rent? If so, then the landlord has to refund you. If he doesn't then you should go to the Gards. If you didn't - then you dodged a bullet, I'd say.

Hope it works out for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I've had two three dodgy landlords in my years of renting and surprise surprise they where all called Michael lol I now avoid anyone with that name, yes I am judging a book by its cover but dont care

Rules on boards are strict so although you have named his first name dont go there with his surname

as for going to the papers why not you have nothing to loose and everything to gain so i say go for it

as for have any of us had a similar experience with a landlord called michael, well its a bit vague tbh, I havent had an experience like yours but I have had landlords behave in the most inappropriate of ways and completely unprofessional as well as greedy little pigs who take your money but dont fix anything and then when you say your not paying until they fix it they get very very nasty indeed

as most LL in this country only own one or two properties so are amateurs really, why not give us the name of the area in which you wanted to rent

also as said above if you have given deposit over and its not getting returned this is theft and you have to go to the guards about it, they may tell you to go to the PRTB but if you havent signed a lease then you dont do this, its the guards that need to help you. But make sure you have proof of transferring the money which I hope you did via bank transfer and not cash in an envelope

best of luck with it all, there are some slimy snakes out there

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

edellc wrote: »
    as for going to the papers why not you have nothing to loose and everything to gain so i say go for it

Nothing to lose? The OP could find themselves with a nice little lawsuit on their hands if they go to a paper to slander this guy without a wealth of evidence to back it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

djimi wrote: »
    edellc wrote: »

Nothing to lose? The OP could find themselves with a nice little lawsuit on their hands if they go to a paper to slander this guy without a wealth of evidence to back it up.

He makes out in his post he has evidence that's why I said he has nothing to loose.....obviously if he doesn't have proof then its slander

Also who says any journalist's would pick it up or even a editor would run with it....its one thing venting in here another entirely getting a newspaper to run the story

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

usually you get an interview,handover deposit,get keys to flat, if this doesnt happen ,You cant presume you have flat ,maybe someone else showed up ,with a larger deposit .This landlord is an idiot ,but as far as i can see he has no legal contract with you ,he took no money from you.
    its a tough market for tenants,be careful, take nothing for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Socho

I'm not sure about naming and shaming on this site. The rules are pretty strict. You might want to edit the post...

Did you pay the deposit and rent? If so, then the landlord has to refund you. If he doesn't then you should go to the Gards. If you didn't - then you dodged a bullet, I'd say.

Hope it works out for you!

Hi.
    Thank u for your reply . That s why I haven't provide his full name . You see the problem is that apparently he does this all the time. And I want people who search for a flat to be aware of his method . I hope there s someone from newspaper who ll be interested in this story . And trust me I have bite the bullet , I m grey from all the stressed caused by this situation .
    Many thanks and enjoy the evening .

Advertisement