Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Log Gasifiction wood boiler

• 13-10-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭

Hi all ,

I am heading into my 4th year of the complete use of my 40kw log boiler .
    The 1st years was a total waste of time , heat and timber . Cut a long story short the first 2 years were a hugh learning curve , mostly all my fault :( .
    Anyway I am in my 4th or 5th week of my winter heating phase and all is very well , I am extremely happy with the system and more importanty the misus .
    I top up the boiler ones or twice a day , not useing a full load in a day . I head out to work at 7am and i pop my head into check on the temp of the boiler and after a full nights heating the boiler is still pumping water at 80 to 90 deg . I top it up and leave it for the day till i return in the evening at 7pm . Pleasantly surprised that its still around 80 maybe 77 deg . I top up the boiler and with in 30 minutes the boiler is at its max for the night till morning .

I now just head out to the boiler to marvel at its brillants . As before i had it , it was costing me 2500 euro per year to heat the house with OIL and how i am self sufficient in my timber supplys costing me very little if not free . When we had the oil the house was still cold and we have ufh down stairs and rads up stairs . In the middle of the night You could hear the oil boiler switching on and it could be 4AM in the morning and you now thats its costing you money you dont have . I wasnt sure what this year was going to be like put so far its great . I think the secret to it is to keep toping it up and regulate your heating to a normal temp the house doesnt need to be boiling .

Happy burning :cool:

Teepee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Gagetman

Hi Teepee, it is very intersting to read how well your wood gasification boiler is working for you, what sort of problems did you expierience at the start? I am curious as I am thinking of investing in a wood boiler myself and I am just checking out what the pit falls are.
    Regards
    Ggetman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭teepee

Gagetman wrote: »
    Hi Teepee, it is very intersting to read how well your wood gasification boiler is working for you, what sort of problems did you expierience at the start? I am curious as I am thinking of investing in a wood boiler myself and I am just checking out what the pit falls are.
    Regards
    Ggetman

Hi ggetman ,

First off a lot of the problems were self inflicted ,

I got no proper advise , I went with a cheap model dus having no back up service . No body could tell me how many times to light it and how often , the proper controls setting . Finding a good plumber broke my heart . There is little tips you pick up alone the way that profects your heating .

I'm really happy with it now consedering the cost of oil .

T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Hi Teepee. What would be your view if you had to buy the logs to burn in it,would it still make sense over oil?

gooner99 wrote: »
    Hi Teepee. What would be your view if you had to buy the logs to burn in it,would it still make sense over oil?

Yes it is , It would cost me around 800 to 1000 euro to heat my house a year by buying the logs split from a regular supplier . Oil was costing me 2500 euro per year in 2006 and I wasn't getting great heat . now the house is roasting and no shortage of heat . But be warned you will often hear people say its a lifestyle choice as there is some small time involved every day with the boiler , not like the oil boiler where you just swtich is on and there's instant heat . The log boilers need to minded and kept clean . It is value for money but it doesn't suit everybody .

T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

teepee wrote: »
    Hi all ,

I am heading into my 4th year of the complete use of my 40kw log boiler .
    The 1st years was a total waste of time , heat and timber . Cut a long story short the first 2 years were a hugh learning curve , mostly all my fault :( .
    Anyway I am in my 4th or 5th week of my winter heating phase and all is very well , I am extremely happy with the system and more importanty the misus .
    I top up the boiler ones or twice a day , not useing a full load in a day . I head out to work at 7am and i pop my head into check on the temp of the boiler and after a full nights heating the boiler is still pumping water at 80 to 90 deg . I top it up and leave it for the day till i return in the evening at 7pm . Pleasantly surprised that its still around 80 maybe 77 deg . I top up the boiler and with in 30 minutes the boiler is at its max for the night till morning .

I now just head out to the boiler to marvel at its brillants . As before i had it , it was costing me 2500 euro per year to heat the house with OIL and how i am self sufficient in my timber supplys costing me very little if not free . When we had the oil the house was still cold and we have ufh down stairs and rads up stairs . In the middle of the night You could hear the oil boiler switching on and it could be 4AM in the morning and you now thats its costing you money you dont have . I wasnt sure what this year was going to be like put so far its great . I think the secret to it is to keep toping it up and regulate your heating to a normal temp the house doesnt need to be boiling .

Happy burning :cool:

Teepee

Hi teepee. ..
    Thanks for the positive post re gasification boiler. .. a few questions if I may...

What made did you buy and now with hindsight what make would you buy now?
    Does the fuel chamber of the gasifier stay clean?
    How dry does the firewood need to be. .. Under 25% or under 20%?
    How small would u advise the firewood be split?
    Have you ever bought firewood for the gasifier an if so in what unit/mode and how much? what's behind this question is the fact that gasifier logs are long an wondering is it sold in loose loads or stacked in builder bags. Also for confidence for buyers and sellers is it sold by weight or volume. Also what conversion factors do u use when converting from solid m3 to loose m3 to stacked m3?

My brother is looking at buying a gasifier for a 4000ft2 new well insulated house with underfloor heating. He is thinking of buying a 40kw maga gasifier from a crowd in the Midlands. .. They haveone in ttheir own house which we saw operating. ... any advise.???

• Advertisement

Jack180570 wrote: »
    Hi teepee. ..
    Thanks for the positive post re gasification boiler. .. a few questions if I may...

What made did you buy and now with hindsight what make would you buy now?
    Does the fuel chamber of the gasifier stay clean?
    How dry does the firewood need to be. .. Under 25% or under 20%?
    How small would u advise the firewood be split?
    Have you ever bought firewood for the gasifier an if so in what unit/mode and how much? what's behind this question is the fact that gasifier logs are long an wondering is it sold in loose loads or stacked in builder bags. Also for confidence for buyers and sellers is it sold by weight or volume. Also what conversion factors do u use when converting from solid m3 to loose m3 to stacked m3?

My brother is looking at buying a gasifier for a 4000ft2 new well insulated house with underfloor heating. He is thinking of buying a 40kw maga gasifier from a crowd in the Midlands. .. They haveone in ttheir own house which we saw operating. ... any advise.???

Hi Jack ,

Make is opop , 42 kw log boiler . Would i buy it again anwser is NO , I would get the ETA brand a far superior boilder , with opop the customer service bad :( , its only 75 may be 82 percentage efficient . compare with 92 / 95 percent with ETA .

I clean the boiler from top to toe ever to 3 to 4 weeks as ash builds up and a small bit of tar builds up this is due to reson in the timber . My timber is at a adverage moister content of 15% and you even get tar at that . I personally think that 20% MC is to high .

The timber size should reflcect the boiler size , my boiler is a 42kw and the logs adverage split 8 to 12 inchs diameter and 24 inchs long . I wouldnt use any small wood as it burns far to fast , except for starting it every 3 to 4 weeks .

No I have never purchased any timber , but i have got quotes for 600 euro for 15 meter cuibed delivered pine loose .

4000 sqft of a house is a whopper of a house my house is only 2600 sqft ,
    you would probley need a 80kw for that and two buffer tanks 2500 liters each , you would want to get profestional advise on that takeing into account all the needs of the house .

Im immigrating to canada in two weeks due to no work here any more , so if you would like to see it working pm me .

T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Jack180570

teepee wrote: »

Hi Jack ,

Make is opop , 42 kw log boiler . Would i buy it again anwser is NO , I would get the ETA brand a far superior boilder , with opop the customer service bad :( , its only 75 may be 82 percentage efficient . compare with 92 / 95 percent with ETA .

I clean the boiler from top to toe ever to 3 to 4 weeks as ash builds up and a small bit of tar builds up this is due to reson in the timber . My timber is at a adverage moister content of 15% and you even get tar at that . I personally think that 20% MC is to high .

The timber size should reflcect the boiler size , my boiler is a 42kw and the logs adverage split 8 to 12 inchs diameter and 24 inchs long . I wouldnt use any small wood as it burns far to fast , except for starting it every 3 to 4 weeks .

No I have never purchased any timber , but i have got quotes for 600 euro for 15 meter cuibed delivered pine loose .

4000 sqft of a house is a whopper of a house my house is only 2600 sqft ,
    you would probley need a 80kw for that and two buffer tanks 2500 liters each , you would want to get profestional advise on that takeing into account all the needs of the house .

Im immigrating to canada in two weeks due to no work here any more , so if you would like to see it working pm me .

T
    Thanks teepee... For very informative reply and invite. ..do you know what price the eta is?

Jack180570 wrote: »
    Thanks teepee... For very informative reply and invite. ..do you know what price the eta is?

The eta model 30 kw is around 15k all in with buffer tank and parts and labour .

T

Advertisement