Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your/You're

• 13-10-2012 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Lets just get rid of you're. "Your not going to eat all that". Doesn't make a difference, sentence still makes sense.

So if the thing makes sense, we all understand what is meant and most people use "your" anyway. Why do we need "you're" ? Why not attribute both meanings to "your" and be done with it ?

As far as I can see the only purpose of having the two of em is so you can tell someone they are wrong if they dont use em correctly. Thats no reason to have a word.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Sounds doubleplusgood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Let's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Fuck off

banned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Exactly, too many people get their knickers in a knot when someone uses it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

longshanks wrote: »
    Fuck off

I'll av you longshanks !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Fuck off

Will do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

You're wasting your time op!!

Let that be a lesson to you!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

"It's a beautiful thing, the destruction of words."
    Orwell, 1984.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Fuck off

Big man.

frag420 wrote: »

Your wasting your time. We need to make progress as a society and language is an important part of that. Our minds developed through communication and language and to develop our minds we need to add more layers to language.

We need to obtain a higher level of abstraction and where better to start than with more multiple meanings for words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Your off you're fcuking head!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

You're (You are) and Your are different though. I agree that it causes unnecessary confusion and many people misuse each word, but that's the English language it's complicated. We should all be grateful for being native speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

Scioch wrote: »
    Lets just get rid of you're. "Your not going to eat all that". Doesn't make a difference, sentence still makes sense.

That's the thing, it does not make sense. They are two completely different words/expressions with completely different meanings.

Funny how it's always the uneducated who say it doesn't matter!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭fupduck

Grammar, the difference between knowing your ****, and knowing you're ****

Hal Decks wrote: »
    That's the thing, it does not make sense. They are two completely different words/expressions with completely different meanings.

Funny how it's always the uneducated who say it doesn't matter!!!!!

But it does make sense. You understand what that sentence meant and exactly what I was saying.

It doesnt actually matter from a communication point of view. Only a syntactical point of view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So if the thing makes sense, we all understand what is meant and most people use "your" anyway. Why do we need "you're" ? Why not attribute both meanings to "your" and be done with it ?

As far as I can see the only purpose of having the two of em is so you can tell someone they are wrong if they dont use em correctly. Thats no reason to have a word.

<clears throat>

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

OR, we could all learn to use it properly. It's not that complicated.

Third option, nobody is allowed use contractions ever again, punishable by death ;)

irish-stew wrote: »
    <clears throat>

Grammar aint the boss of me !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Feck that. It's the "willy wonkr and the chocolate factory" ****e i want addressed.

vanillr ice cream :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Your mad if you think their going to change they're ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

if ucan under stand it wats de harm

Right?

Wrong.

OR, we could all learn to use it properly. It's not that complicated.

Third option, nobody is allowed use contractions ever again, punishable by death ;)

You think people should all learn to pronounce it properly too ? Are accents wrong now ?

Why do you want to control and restrict everything ? What cant you just let it be free to grow and change ?

grammr overload!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Helping your uncle, Jack, off a horse
    Helping your uncle jack off his horse

This stuff is important so rather than attempt to change a language you could just stay awake in school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Or people could simply learn the meanings.

Thats the thing. It's a slippery slope towards neanderthal speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Anyone that can't understand and appreciate the difference between these words has a learning disability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

This stuff is important so rather than attempt to change a language you could just stay awake in school

It gets especially confusing when your trying to do both at once. Ah, uncle jack and his horse. I remember them well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Grammar aint the boss of me !

isn't*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Hal Decks

But it does make sense. You understand what that sentence meant and exactly what I was saying.

You have this ar5e ways. It is only understandable because the claim being made is wrong.
    When I see such grammar and syntax I don't bother reading any further. I have better things to do than to be deciphering what some illiterate is typing.

It's not difficult to differentiate between your and you're. If you find it is, then you have a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Exactly, to many people get there knickers in a knot when someone use's it wrong
    fyp

What the fcuk kinda school did you go to ?

You think people should all learn to pronounce it properly too ? Are accents wrong now ?

Why do you want to control and restrict everything ? What cant you just let it be free to grow and change ?

I must control everything... people who pronounce the following will be killed (with a nod to mitchell and webb):

Expresso
    Nucular
    Deteriated
    Pacific (when they mean specific)

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Exactly, too many people get their knickers in a knot when someone uses it wrong.

wrongly

Did you go to primary school?

Hal Decks wrote: »
    You have this ar5e ways. It is only understandable because the claim being made is wrong.
    When I see such grammar and syntax I don't bother reading any further. I have better things to do than to be deciphering what some illiterate is typing.

It's not difficult to differentiate between your and you're. If you find it is, then you have a problem.

Thats just you being a grammar snob. Nothing to do with not understanding it. And its not that its difficult, its that its unnecessary.

• Advertisement

Aoifey! wrote: »
    isn't*

Isnt wha ?

"We won't tell you we're judging you, but we will."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

OP, did your parents ever teach you about grammar? If I incorrectly used "you're" instead of "your" when referring to one of them individually, would they likely ban me? ;)

The last word must be left to a quote from one of the experts:
    "ahh heyor, leaaaaveeee irh fuucccckhin houh"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

I don't like you are post op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

wrongly
    Ahem.

Not wrongly; incorrectly:pac:.

• Advertisement

"We won't tell you we're judging you, but we will."

Thats what I'm all about. Redefining the word so as to avoid being judged unfairly on its use. If someone says "your" instead of "you're" they dont deserve to be judged. Its unnecessary to enforce the grammar and judge those who dont adhere to it in that case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Your wasting your time. We need to make progress as a society and language is an important part of that. Our minds developed through communication and language and to develop our minds we need to add more layers to language.

We need to obtain a higher level of abstraction and where better to start than with more multiple meanings for words.

Someone needs a sense of humour transplant!!

Ahem.

Not wrongly; incorrectly:pac:.

I agree. I was going to post that, but I thought I'd just stick to the adverb issue rather than complicate it further.

Someone needs a sense of humour transplant!!

Good point. Sarcasm !! Where would we be without sarcasm !!

You say something grammatically correct but with the complete opposite meaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Lets just get rid of you're.

That's Ridonculous, Don't try to change words.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Yisser its fixed, next.

cowzerp wrote: »
    That's Ridonculous, Don't try to change words.

Ridonculous - it's a perfectly cromulent word

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Niles

I don't generally pick up people on such errors.

However, the 'there/they're/their', 'you're/your' and the apostrophe rules aren't that hard to learn, seems to be more a case of people not being bothered to learn them than anything else. Even if you didn't absorb the rule in school (for whatever reason) surely they could easily be learned in adulthood, it's not like a whole new language or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

The whole your/you`re thing is pretty annoying but nowhere the level of "could of","should of" or "would of".

That`s just fucking insanity.

The whole your/you`re thing is pretty annoying but nowhere the level of "could of","should of" or "would of".

That`s just fucking insanity.

Lets not turn this into a general grammar nazi convention. Lets all get back to agreeing with me that the words "your" and "you're" as used these days only really need to be represented by "your".

• Advertisement
Advertisement