Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your/You're

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Jesus - This thread is hell.

you're and your SHOULD be used in context and be grammatically correct....

But , i THINK the OP is getting at the fact that if it is misused in a sentence,
    then maybe just maybe, people could refrain from being massive ars2holes about it ?

most time's the incorrect use will be blindingly obvious , but the meaning of the sentence will still be understood - so really why be a dick and pull the poster up on it ?

but OP - a bit of advice, give up - you're onto a loser.

Boards oozes with grammar Nazis, just waiting for some poor fool - you're today's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

dj jarvis wrote: »
    Jesus - This thread is hell.

you're and your SHOULD be used in context and be grammatically correct....

But , i THINK the OP is getting at the fact that if it is misused in a sentence,
    then maybe just maybe, people could refrain from being massive ars2holes about it ?

most time's the incorrect use will be blindingly obvious , but the meaning of the sentence will still be understood - so really why be a dick and pull the poster up on it ?

but OP - a bit of advice, give up - you're onto a loser.

Boards oozes with grammar Nazis, just waiting for some poor fool - you're today's.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Scioch wrote: »
    I can still talk about it. FFS thats what this website is for, talking about stuff.

Duhhh. But why waste all this time and energy proposing and arguing for something that no-one will ever seriously consider? This thread is complete overkill for something completely trivial. You may as well argue the sky should be painted red.
    robbie7730 wrote: »
    Just as most threads don`t.

I'm not talking about 'most threads'. I'm asking about this thread in particular. I don't care what other threads achieve or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Duhhh. But why waste all this time and energy proposing and arguing for something that no-one will ever seriously consider? This thread is complete overkill for something completely trivial. You may as well argue the sky should be painted red.

It interests me to discuss it. Is that ok ? I can discuss stuff that interests me on a discussion forum right ? Its AH man, there's nothing in here that will do anything other than waste time and keep people amused.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

see what i mean :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I'm not talking about 'most threads'. I'm asking about this thread in particular. I don't care what other threads achieve or not.

So you care what this thread achieves? Thanks for the laugh:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

dj jarvis wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the OP is agitating for you're to be dropped formally from the English language. Maybe he thinks it's too difficult for the young generation to learn all these grammatical and spelling rules. He suggests that it's only one word, but it's not.

Exactly the same 'logic' could be applied to the contraction of they are. They're sounds the same as their, so let's get rid of it, too. In fact, we can replace both with there.

In fact, it's so difficult to learn a few simple rules involving apostrophes let's get rid of them. Let's get rid of all punctuation marks. That's how the written word started out.

Nofullstopsnocommasnoapostrophesnospaces

It would save a lot of space!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

It interests me to discuss it. Is that ok ? I can discuss stuff that interests me on a discussion forum right ? Its AH man, there's nothing in here that will do anything other than waste time and keep people amused.

Using your logic, should we therefore scrap one from each pair of words below (among countless others) just because they are both identical in sound even though they are both spelt differently and mean completely different things?

pear/pair
    sale/sail
    read/reed
    sell/cell
    key/quay
    four/fore
    etc etc etc

Most people with any basic grasp of English spelling and grammar can decipher the obvious difference between the above words and not use them incorrectly in the same way they can with the words your and you're. Just because you struggle with the appropriate use of these words (and not most people as per your original post) and hence the reason for you creating this thread, is not a good enough reason to expect consensus from others here to agree with you.

Yes, there are grammar nazis out there who nitpick and are over pedantic but I think you would be better served learning not to be so sensitive when they point out such incidents as it appears a past occurence wounded you so much to prompt you to open such a bizarre thread.

Actually using my logic we could redefine "your" to take on the meaning of "you're" which itself doesnt necessarily have to be dropped.

Other words are not routinely substituted for one another so they dont come into it. Its not about the words sounding the same its about the fact that one of them is regularly used instead of the other and is understood to have the same meaning when used as such. And I dont struggle with them as I've made quite clear. I choose to use one word and to date have encounted no issues. Odd that seeing as so many people reckon there would be world wide chaos if people did this.

And kindly stop with the whole "where will it end, lets all talk jibberish" crap.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Yes, there are grammar nazis out there who nitpick and are over pedantic but I think you would be better served learning not to be so sensitive when they point out such incidents as it appears a past occurence wounded you so much to prompt you to open such a bizarre thread.

Actually as is clear from the attitude to grammar nazi's from a moderator point of view. Its counter productive to actual communication. Too many people just have nothing better to do with their lives than pick at and point out mistakes in what everyone else is doing.

And there has been no past occurrence that wound me up. I started the thread as I said because I was pondering on the level of abstraction in language.

• Advertisement

Actually as is clear from the attitude to grammar nazi's from a moderator point of view. Its counter productive to actual communication. Too many people just have nothing better to do with their lives than pick at and point out mistakes in what everyone else is doing.

And there has been no past occurrence that wound me up. I started the thread as I said because I was pondering on the level of abstraction in language.

Before that rule was introduced, it was every few posts it was grammar nazi posters pointing out mistakes, often as an attempt to discredit a posters point of view. Often the poster pointing it out had mistakes in the very post they were being a grammar tool in.

And in this thread, one or two have the same miss use of "your" in previous postings in other threads, that they are saying causes confusion if not used correctly. If nothing, boards can be a laugh at times.

That is perfectly fine. Carry on :)
    So you care what this thread achieves? Thanks for the laugh:pac:

Go on, keep putting words in my mouth and completely misinterpreting what I say. If that gives you a laugh then you are easily amused.

Go on, keep putting words in my mouth and completely misinterpreting what I say. If that gives you a laugh then you are easily amused.

Id rather go through life easily amused, than easily upset by other peoples minor mistake`s.

Id rather go through life easily amused, than easily upset by other peoples minor mistake`s.

gOOD TOO KNOW

Advertisement