Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vegetarianism - would you try it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

ScumLord wrote: »
    Irish beef is as free range as you can get, same goes for mutton and lamb. You don't need to feel any guilt eating mutton either, I got attacked by a sheep in Connemara, they're all assholes that deserve to die and be eaten. Cattle don't mind being eaten, I tell them I'm going to eat them on a regular basis and they seem fine with it.

Well, that's helpful, ye git! :pac: Seriously though, I know there are some great farms in Ireland but I have seen evidence of ones that were less than great, particularly in relation to pig farms. Commercial milking also troubles me. The problem is, how the hell does anyone know whether their meat came from the decent farm or the dodgy one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

Eriopis wrote: »
    You could still follow the "meat two veg" pattern fairly healthily if you just switch out beans for the meat, it doesn't necessarily involve learning to cook exotic food.

Depends on what you count as exotic I guess. If I was sticking to an Irish style boiled potatoes, boiled [carrots/broccoli, etc.] and portion of beans/lentils, personally I'd get sick of it fairly soon. Meat brings a variety even when cooked plainly that I don't think plain veg matches up to.
    Once the zombie apocalypse happens and vegetarians can't ship their meals in from across the globe we'll all be meat eaters again.

Think this is an interesting one - for those who are vegetarian for environmental reasons, did the carbon footprint of shipping the fruit/veg come into consideration for you? People say that more land is needed to keep livestock, but most people try to buy meat as locally produced as possible, whereas a lot of produce comes from abroad.

(Though I read recently too that a lot of chicken sold in Ireland is coming from east Asia! Must try to find a source. Think that's disgraceful - this is what should be on menus, not the calorie count!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭Bootsy.

My reasons for being veggie are more selfish than just concern for the animals. I do it for my own health rather than that of the animals, although that's certainly a great bonus.

I don't like the idea of a bit of a decomposing carcass rotting away inside me.

I mean when you think about it, you're biting into and swallowing a dead body.

Some people are cool with that, most probably don't even think about it.

I'm much healthier and happier as a veggie anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Eriopis

Feathers wrote: »
    Depends on what you count as exotic I guess. If I was sticking to an Irish style boiled potatoes, boiled [carrots/broccoli, etc.] and portion of beans/lentils, personally I'd get sick of it fairly soon. Meat brings a variety even when cooked plainly that I don't think plain veg matches up to.

Well yes of course, it'd be about as boring as the meat/two veg diet generally is anyway, but that wasn't my point - my point is that it'd be a good place to start for new vegetarians or vegans that haven't learned to cook very well yet ;)
    Besides, I wasn't talking the same boring beans or veg over and over - you can be quite versatile even when learning to cook - bean burgers, casserole, grilled portobello mushroom burgers, veg gratin, veg-based quiche, stews, sauces, etc.
    Think this is an interesting one - for those who are vegetarian for environmental reasons, did the carbon footprint of shipping the fruit/veg come into consideration for you? People say that more land is needed to keep livestock, but most people try to buy meat as locally produced as possible, whereas a lot of produce comes from abroad.

(Though I read recently too that a lot of chicken sold in Ireland is coming from east Asia! Must try to find a source. Think that's disgraceful - this is what should be on menus, not the calorie count!)

Yes we try to buy locally, and seasonal produce as well. For the most part this works quite well too ;) There's quite a large selection of winter veg so vegans don't starve during the winter either.. sure your great grandparents didn't either (and meat wasn't always a staple in the diet, traditionally it was only served on a Sunday, hence the Sunday roast! Weekday vegetarian food used to be the normal "western diet" anyway)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Grains and fruit are seasonal so unfortunately you're going to have to turn to meat at some stage, especially if you become a zombie.

Grains can be stored for quite as long time, as can dried fruit...

Feathers wrote: »

It does to some extend... I will try and buy seasonable fruit and veg, and I will go for Irish produce as much as I can. That said, Ireland is not the best place for some fruit and veg, and I always thought of the "Irish grown" sticker on tomatoes as more of a warning.

To me, being vegetarian is all about choice.
    The society we live in now allows us to choose which foods we eat and which foods we don't. That's also where I feel the moral aspect comes into it. If we didn't have the choice, if eating meat was still a necessity due to lack of other produce, there couldn't be any moral aspect to it.
    But as things are, we do have a choice. And since we do, I feel people should be conscious of what they eat and why. At the end of the day, if they're happy with what they eat and where it came from, good for them. The only guidance here is the individual's decision.
    If they're not, however, they should take action.

A lot of people who hear that I'm vegetarian will reply with things like "Oh, well, I've always wanted to be, too, but it's so diffcult, I wouldn't know what to eat."
    That sentence bugs me on many different levels :
    First of all, I'm not judging you, so please don't pretend I am. I don't care one bit if you're vegetarian, I don't think any the less of you for not being one, but I do get annoyed by you treating vegetarianism as something you need to apologise for not being. Don't. Eat meat and be happy.
    Secondly, if you're not happy with eating meat, stop making excuses. You've got goole at the tips of your fingers, there is more information, more recipes, more tips and tricks out there than you could shake a stick at. If you can't be bothered then just say so. Don't make it sound like becoming vegetarian is akin to obtaining a PhD in Particle Physics.
    And thirdly, make up your mind!

Sorry about the rant..

Yes we try to buy locally, and seasonal produce as well. For the most part this works quite well too ;) There's quite a large selection of winter veg so vegans don't starve during the winter either.. sure your great grandparents didn't either (and meat wasn't always a staple in the diet, traditionally it was only served on a Sunday, hence the Sunday roast! Weekday vegetarian food used to be the normal "western diet" anyway)

That always brings to mind a childhood memory my grandmother would share with us :

When she was growing up (in Germany, in a farming family of 8 people... I know, but trust me, I've seen pictures : German farms in the 1920s were just as piss-poor as poor Irish farms), their Sunday roast was 1 pigeon. To share between 8 people.
    My grandmother would normally get the neck.
    That was all the meat she had in a week.

Even when I was growing up, 1 chicken on a Sunday was considered to be plenty for 5 people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Shenshen wrote: »

Even when I was growing up, 1 chicken on a Sunday was considered to be plenty for 5 people.

is one chicken for 5 people not plenty anymore?!! Jaysus, I think we used get sambos out of one and everything! :)

dearg lady wrote: »
    is one chicken for 5 people not plenty anymore?!! Jaysus, I think we used get sambos out of one and everything! :)

It wouldn't seem so. I'm not eating it any more, but I do remember in the 90s my mom would make 2 chickens for the 4 of us on a weeknight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Grains can be stored for quite as long time, as can dried fruit...
    Do you really want to live on porridge and dried blackberries all year round?

• Advertisement

Do you really want to live on porridge and dried blackberries all year round?

No, just in the months they're not seasonal.
    Rice is one of my staples anyway, as would be bread and pasta, so no changes there at all. I need neither rice nor flour fresh from the plant.

No, just in the months they're not seasonal.
    Rice is one of my staples anyway, as would be bread and pasta, so no changes there at all. I need neither rice nor flour fresh from the plant.
    Rice is imported, I don't think you can grow it here. You won't be able to get that in the zombie apocalypse and one failed crop could wipe out the seed stock too, there's always nettle soup though.

With everyone depending on seasonal food you may find there's little left over for long term storage.

Rice is imported, I don't think you can grow it here. You won't be able to get that in the zombie apocalypse and one failed crop could wipe out the seed stock too, there's always nettle soup though.

With everyone depending on seasonal food you may find there's little left over for long term storage.

Well, wouldn't the same be true for the meat supply? Without being able to store or import meat, and with everybody consequently depending on local, freshly-slaughtered animals, I can imagine that supply would run really low very fast as well.
    Especially considering that it would be much harder getting the animals over the winter.

I think it's utopian to assume any Western society could continue in the same numbers after any apocalyptic event, we are highly depended on modern technology for our food production, from animal feed to fertilisers to storage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

Zombie apocalypse will result in the breakdown of industrial farming which is the main vice of meat-eating for most vegetarians. Therefore, resorting to killing and eating wild animals will be an acceptable course of action.

Of course, the big question is whether the animals are infected, in which case we're gonna have a bad day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Mousewar wrote: »
    Zombie apocalypse will result in the breakdown of industrial farming which is the main vice of meat-eating for most vegetarians. Therefore, resorting to killing and eating wild animals will be an acceptable course of action.

Of course, the big question is whether the animals are infected, in which case we're gonna have a bad day.

If industrial farming is the main 'vice' (used completely incorrectly but I can guess your meaning) of vegetarians, why wouldn't they just buy pastured beef and lamb (which is practically all pastured in this country) and free range chicken (also plentiful)?

When it comes down to that, why is OK to have animals eviscerated by a combine harvester (that's not even eaten!) in the production of grains but not OK to grow one in a fairly peaceful existence only to die painlessly at the end of it? I don't expect an answer to this as I've never heard a good answer to this from a vegetarian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

If I became vegetarian I'd never be able to fulfill my life's ambition of eating Giant Panda before they become extinct.

Not a whole one, of course, that'd be greedy.

Well, wouldn't the same be true for the meat supply? Without being able to store or import meat, and with everybody consequently depending on local, freshly-slaughtered animals, I can imagine that supply would run really low very fast as well.
    Especially considering that it would be much harder getting the animals over the winter.

I think it's utopian to assume any Western society could continue in the same numbers after any apocalyptic event, we are highly depended on modern technology for our food production, from animal feed to fertilisers to storage.
    Most cattle and sheep are grass feed, they do supplement the grass but with slightly reduced numbers (as we produce enough beef and milk to feed half of Europe) we could easily manage using standard practices of silage storage.

Meat can be preserved without refrigeration although storage wouldn't be a problem during colder months and thankfully we have plenty of those. Meat should be hung for at least 28 days for best results so it's not going to spoil that quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

We often cook up a meal with no meat in it & can be just as agreeable as a fleshy plate :D

Overall, I prefer having something meaty but I'm not adverse to a vegetable based dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Was vegetarian on and off for years but have too many limitations in what I can eat medically so was advised to eat meat.

• Advertisement

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    If industrial farming is the main 'vice' (used completely incorrectly but I can guess your meaning) of vegetarians, why wouldn't they just buy pastured beef and lamb (which is practically all pastured in this country) and free range chicken (also plentiful)?

When it comes down to that, why is OK to have animals eviscerated by a combine harvester (that's not even eaten!) in the production of grains but not OK to grow one in a fairly peaceful existence only to die painlessly at the end of it? I don't expect an answer to this as I've never heard a good answer to this from a vegetarian

As I said earlier in this thread, I have no problem with the concept of killing and eating animals. I think it's a natural behaviour. However, I do have a problem with the reduction of an entire species' existence to being our food. The modern cow for example is a genetic monstrosity that has been bred to be a big slab of dinner for us, one that is unable to defend itself or run away from predators which is usually a genetic requirement of any living thing. My problem isn't eating meat, it's thinking that we're entitled to subject whole species to our servitude. Keanu Reeves didn't like it in the matrix and I don't like it here.
    That and the fact that eating animals is now no longer a necessity, simply a preference. And deciding a creature's life on a preference strikes me as morally suspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I've slept with vegetarians yeah - no different from other women really.

As I said earlier in this thread, I have no problem with the concept of killing and eating animals. I think it's a natural behaviour. However, I do have a problem with the reduction of an entire species' existence to being our food. The modern cow for example is a genetic monstrosity that has been bred to be a big slab of dinner for us, one that is unable to defend itself or run away from predators which is usually a genetic requirement of any living thing. My problem isn't eating meat, it's thinking that we're entitled to subject whole species to our servitude. Keanu Reeves didn't like it in the matrix and I don't like it here.
    That and the fact that eating animals is now no longer a necessity, simply a preference. And deciding a creature's life on a preference strikes me as morally suspect.

What bilge. You're acting as if we have 'enslaved' cows. The average modern western worker is much more enslaved than your pastured cow, whose daily activities include eating and ****ting. Being fed, sheltered protected in just about every way before being humanely killed doesn't sound like enslavement to me.

P.S. if you think domestic cattle can neither run from predators nor defend themselves then you are sorely mistaken

What bilge. You're acting as if we have 'enslaved' cows. The average modern western worker is much more enslaved than your pastured cow, whose daily activities include eating and ****ting. Being fed, sheltered protected in just about every way before being humanely killed doesn't sound like enslavement to me.

P.S. if you think domestic cattle can neither run from predators nor defend themselves then you are sorely mistaken

Bilge? I think I see now why others in the past haven't offered you many answers. Anyway, your response only addresses my points on the most offensively simplistic terms so I won't bother.

PS: Yes I do think that. If they can't defend themselves or run away from drunks trying to tip them over then I think my point stands.

Bilge? I think I see now why others in the past haven't offered you many answers. Anyway, your response only addresses my points on the most offensively simplistic terms so I won't bother.

PS: Yes I do think that. If they can't defend themselves or run away from drunks trying to tip them over then I think my point stands.

Hmm.. ok, cattle are far from defenceless on a one-to-one basis - there are plenty of other things morally wrong with eating meat but this wouldn't be a major concern of mine, I'm saying this as a vegan too.. I'm wondering how much exposure you've had to real cattle to be honest, anyone who's tried to cross a field full of young bullocks or frisky cows in a "curious" mood, will know how careful you have to be to avoid becoming a greasy trampled stain on the grass.

That said, I still won't eat them!

. The modern cow for example is a genetic monstrosity that has been bred to be a big slab of dinner for us, one that is unable to defend itself or run away from predators which is usually a genetic requirement of any living thing. My problem isn't eating meat, it's thinking that we're entitled to subject whole species to our servitude. Keanu Reeves didn't like it in the matrix and I don't like it here.
    I assume you feel the same way about dogs and cats. What we're doing to those species is far more reprehensible, we're breeding genetic abnormalities into the species just because we like the way it looks. Minature dogs suffer horribly because of our need to make them cute yet people think that's fine. At least with cattle we do it for a good reason.

• Advertisement

Obviously you know nothing of cattle. Firstly, cattle-tipping is a myth. Secondly, herds of cattle can be very dangerous and will round on dogs and lone humans quite regularly. Thirdly, bulls have been known to injure and kill people (this is common knowledge to most people actually)

I assume you feel the same way about dogs and cats. What we're doing to those species is far more reprehensible, we're breeding genetic abnormalities into the species just because we like the way it looks. Minature dogs suffer horribly because of our need to make them cute yet people think that's fine. At least with cattle we do it for a good reason.

Many vegans actually don't keep dogs or cats for that reason (besides the fact you'd have to give them meat to feed them).

The whole zombie apocalypse reasoning is very silly by the way, why don't we just deal with it when it happens ;) Besides anything else, that and the "non-native food" thing has been thrown around a few times before and it always ends up being a big dose of double standards: yes some plants foods etc. aren't native to Ireland, but neither are chickens! And it's not like meat eaters don't also eat all the things vegans/vegetarians eat (including vegetables and rice etc), it's just that we're generally leaving out a few ingredients (meat/ milk products) that omnivores do eat.

The whole zombie apocalypse reasoning is very silly by the way, why don't we just deal with it when it happens ;)
    That's the kind of talk that will get people killed once the zombies come. You have to be prepared.
    yes some plants foods etc. aren't native to Ireland, but neither are chickens!
    Chickens may not be native to Ireland but they can still be produced here unlike bananas or soy so it's not a good comparison at all.

That's the kind of talk that will get people killed once the zombies come. You have to be prepared.

Chickens may not be native to Ireland but they can still be produced here unlike bananas or soy so it's not a good comparison at all.

Agreed. I'll give up bananas when you do too ;)

Also, what are your chickens eating, come the zombie apocalypse?

Agreed. I'll give up bananas when you do too ;)

Also, what are your chickens eating, come the zombie apocalypse?
    I'm not too sure what range chickens have in their diet, I won't have access to industrial chicken feed but id guess they could eat worms, bugs and seeds along with other scraps.

• Advertisement

I'm not too sure what range chickens have in their diet, I won't have access to industrial chicken feed but id guess they could eat worms, bugs and seeds along with other scraps.

They eat grain mostly, in farming anyway.

If you're leaving scraps you're doing it wrong (surviving) ;)
    Actually any proper end-times survivalist apocalyptic preparationist will have the house stuffed to the rafters with dried beans. Just sayin' ;)

I truly don't get this argument anyway - it's not like you're really suggesting you'd live on a pure meat diet, is it? If you are, you'd not survive for very long - humans are genuine omnivores, not carnivores, we need fruit/veg/carbs in our diet or we get sick. We can't produce our own vitamin C for a start.
    Meat eaters always seem to have this misunderstanding that vegetarians/ vegans eat and import masses of tofu or whatever to replace meat, which is genuinely not the case. It is a nice modern convenience, sure, like bananas ;) but not essential.
    My husband's great aunt was also vegan, and lived through both world wars, growing up in Sweden, Lithuania and Germany. She would never have had tofu or whatever, just the normal fruit, veg, nuts and grains that everyone else was eating and still lived to be 104.

They eat grain mostly, in farming anyway.

If you're leaving scraps you're doing it wrong (surviving) ;)
    Actually any proper end-times survivalist apocalyptic preparationist will have the house stuffed to the rafters with dried beans. Just sayin' ;)
    Or tinned, dried beans need proper storage. With central heating gone houses will have a lot more moisture in them. Dried beans would be great while they lasted as long as you make sure you mind them.
    I truly don't get this argument anyway - it's not like you're really suggesting you'd live on a pure meat diet, is it?
    No, never have and never would. I'm saying without the global economy and shipping network its going to be difficult to have a purely veg diet on a small island like Ireland. It takes a huge effort to make it work in Ireland but would be easier in mainland Europe.

No, never have and never would. I'm saying without the global economy and shipping network its going to be difficult to have a purely veg diet on a small island like Ireland. It takes a huge effort to make it work in Ireland but would be easier in mainland Europe.

Not really, as I've mentioned before, your great great granny would have done it ;) Spuds and cauliflower, cabbage, colcannon, champ.. these used to be the staple diet, not regular meat.

You assume correctly.

Not really, as I've mentioned before, your great great granny would have done it ;) Spuds and cauliflower, cabbage, colcannon, champ.. these used to be the staple diet, not regular meat.

Peasants not able to afford proper food shocker. Do you think they would have passed up the opportunity to eat a bit of bacon with their cabbage? A bit of steak with their spuds. Would they f*ck.

Vegetarianism is generally peculiar to wealthy westerners

Peasants not able to afford proper food shocker. Do you think they would have passed up the opportunity to eat a bit of bacon with their cabbage? A bit of steak with their spuds. Would they f*ck.

tell that to the millions of vegetarian Hindus, wealthy or not.

actually I find this pretty funny - it's the meat rich diet which is the invention of wealthy westerners

Obviously you know nothing of cattle. Firstly, cattle-tipping is a myth. Secondly, herds of cattle can be very dangerous and will round on dogs and lone humans quite regularly. Thirdly, bulls have been known to injure and kill people (this is common knowledge to most people actually)
    Firstly, I said 'trying'. The point was merely to emphasise their lack of evasiveness, a key survival technique in the wild if you don't have big teeth or know animal kung fu. Secondly, that's super for them - doesn't really make much difference to them if they ever had to survive in a genuinely wild scenario outside of human control, even the relatively modest one that would have existed in a humanless Ireland. Thirdly, no sh*t.

tell that to the millions of vegetarian Hindus, wealthy or not.

actually I find this pretty funny - it's the meat rich diet which is the invention of wealthy westerners

Humans have been eating a fairly meat-rich diet for most of our existence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

I'm tempted to go for it after seeing this video which is flying around twitter.

http://hiddenfaceoffood.com/

It's possible to be a meat-eater and still have one or two veggie meals each day. Unless you have a fry up, breakfast is usually a vegetarian meal for most...
    Juice, cereal, fruit, yoghurt, tea/coffee, bread/toast with cheese or butter/marmalade, etc.

Most kiddies snacks can be veggie too
    the almighty beans on toast, scrambled eggs on toast, bowls of thick country vegetable with buttered cob, etc.

So many really simple veggie dishes....soups, salads, pastas. Also a great way to learn how to cook veggie is get an Indian cook book. Most Indians afaik as I know are veggie so there's milions of recipies containing bean, pulses, grains, vegetables fruit, eggs, etc. all good sh!t.

A great veggie meal is just roasted vegetables. Just roughly chop onions, peppers, aubergines, parsnips, apple slices, some brocolli/cauliflower florets in a pyrex dish. drizzle with oil. blast with (not piss) salt and pepper and roast in the oven. Wash that down with a glass of plonk and your body will cry out in gratitude.

I'm a meat eater but have the g/f cook a veggie spread every other day...just for variety and also to get the recommended intake. Also to clease my liver and kidneys after a bender :P

Humans have been eating a fairly meat-rich diet for most of our existence

You're basing this on....? Statistics? Were you there or something?
    The "stone age" diet, would have been mostly plant based (foraging) with occasional meat consumption, when an animal was hunted and killed. Certainly not daily.
    The ancient Egyptians, and most of the Persian cultures, had a diet based almost exclusively on lentils.
    Meat consumption is a matter of a) culture/ religion/ tradition (there are a good number of religions requiring vegetarianism or very restricted meat consumption) and b) availability, so either you ate it when you hunted it, or were able to slaughter your own animal, or buy one from a farmer. Even in the West, meat was a treat until relatively recently when farming was intensified and meat became more easily available, and even then massive consumption wasn't common. My grandfather for example, grew up on a decent farm, but still only ate meat on a Sunday. It was just the done thing.
    It is really only relatively recently (post 2nd world war) that daily meat has become a normal thing, and you can see the results of that in the west, obesity has become an epidemic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

Were you there or something?

Were you?

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Were you?

No, but I do know how to do a bit of research into the topic, rather than just making up statements on the spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I think the appendix (that rather useless organ) once played a large part in our ancestors digestive process when we used to eat leaves and had a plant based diet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

How about several hundred million Indians without a pot to piss in?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

You're basing this on....? Statistics? Were you there or something?
    The "stone age" diet, would have been mostly plant based (foraging) with occasional meat consumption, when an animal was hunted and killed. Certainly not daily.
    The ancient Egyptians, and most of the Persian cultures, had a diet based almost exclusively on lentils.
    Meat consumption is a matter of a) culture/ religion/ tradition (there are a good number of religions requiring vegetarianism or very restricted meat consumption) and b) availability, so either you ate it when you hunted it, or were able to slaughter your own animal, or buy one from a farmer. Even in the West, meat was a treat until relatively recently when farming was intensified and meat became more easily available, and even then massive consumption wasn't common. My grandfather for example, grew up on a decent farm, but still only ate meat on a Sunday. It was just the done thing.
    It is really only relatively recently (post 2nd world war) that daily meat has become a normal thing, and you can see the results of that in the west, obesity has become an epidemic.

Meat doesn't cause obesity, in fact if you want to get fit you should ensure you eat meat with nearly every meal. It is highly nutritious and makes you feel full more so than carbs.

Of all food groups grains probably contribute most to obesity, wheat being the worst culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

It was just the done thing.
    Ahem, do we have to explain the whole correlation/causation thing again?

Meat doesn't cause obesity, in fact if you want to get fit you should ensure you eat meat with nearly every meal. It is highly nutritious and makes you feel full more so than carbs.

Of all food groups grains probably contribute most to obesity, wheat being the worst culprit.

have you evidence to back this up? I'd be disinclined to believe wheat would be the main culprit (although if you're eating too many calories, it doesn't matter which source it is, too much is too much) - firstly because meat is one of the most calorie-dense foods available, apart from pure fat, and secondly because meat eaters are generally fatter than those eating a plant-based diet.. see here: http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v27/n6/full/0802300a.html

Speaking from personal experience, when I ditched the meat/ animal products, I lost 30 kg weight, despite not changing my diet really much otherwise, either in portion size or cooking style. And I still eat wheat.

actually I find this pretty funny - it's the meat rich diet which is the invention of wealthy westerners...

....The ancient Egyptians, and most of the Persian cultures, had a diet based almost exclusively on lentils....
    It certainly wasn't invented by wealthy westerners. Meat has always been the highest valued meal. An example would have been the Egyptian conscripts that built the pyramids eat meat on a daily basis as reward (and probably to keep them well fueled) for being part of the building.
    Hunting was hard back then, the more successful hunters would have eat as much meat as they could find. It wasn't a choice, it was survival of the fittest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Im in two minds about the whole vegetarianism thing. However i am going it a go for a cuple of weeks/monts (am 2ish days in) to see how it goes. Like the saying goes you shouldn't judge someone till you have walked a mile in there shoes.

Hunting was hard back then, the more successful hunters would have eat as much meat as they could find. It wasn't a choice, it was survival of the fittest.

Just becouse we used to do something doesn't make it right today. Yes i am sure that cavemen would have eaten all the meat that they could get there hands on but does that make it right? Yes it proberly did play a mojour role in bring us to where we are today but there comes a point when we have to reavulate past assumsitions.

For example i am sure that slave labour had a very positive effect on many economies through out the ages. And while slave labour was thought to be right and justifed at the time we all know now that it isn't. If i lived 1000 years ago i could very well have owned my own slaves and thought nothing of it. Today though i would refuse point blank to own a slave.

Yes meat proberly played a mojour role in bring us to where we are today however lately i have been thinking that ethics has to come into it at somepoint

It was grand when animals where free to roam the lands and when we went out with our arrows/gun and hunted them. as someone said a few pages back there is some sort of honour in the hunters kill and the animals death. The hunter may even say some short prayer over the animal body (not religously but more out of respect).
    However when that same animal is artificailly concivied, spend all of its life in capativity, cross bread to produce best tasting/most meat, pumped with drugs to keep them fat and producing milk, and then killed to be put on your plate....

There has to be a difference. A line has to be drawn somewhere. I am not saying that the line is there. Maby the line is another 200 years down the line when we can go into a restraunt and pic a live cow from a pen where a machine will shot and gut and cut it into bit size pieces for you. At some point it think it will be odd not to be a vegatarien but that is a few hundred years away at least i would think

I am not saying that one choice is right and another is wrong. At the end of the day you are master of your own conscince.

I might not even keep the whole vegy thing up but for the min i will play devil's advocate.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

have you evidence to back this up? I'd be disinclined to believe wheat would be the main culprit (although if you're eating too many calories, it doesn't matter which source it is, too much is too much) - firstly because meat is one of the most calorie-dense foods available, apart from pure fat, and secondly because meat eaters are generally fatter than those eating a plant-based diet.. see here: http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v27/n6/full/0802300a.html

Speaking from personal experience, when I ditched the meat/ animal products, I lost 30 kg weight, despite not changing my diet really much otherwise, either in portion size or cooking style. And I still eat wheat.

People with beards are more likely to die of a heart attack, that doesn't mean beards cause heart attacks or that removing your beard reduces your likelihood of a heart attack.

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/EvolutionPaleolithic/Cereal%20Sword.pdf
    http://www.ajcn.org/content/79/3/418.abstract
    http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00365520500235334?journalCode=gas
    http://gut.bmj.com/content/56/6/889.extract
    http://journals.lww.com/jpgn/Fulltext/2005/10000/Effect_of_Gluten_Containing_Diet_on_Serum_Zonulin.232.aspx
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/h7628r66r0552222/
    http://journals.cambridge.org/abstract_S0007114500000271
    http://journals.cambridge.org/abstract_S0033291700043312
    http://journals.cambridge.org/abstract_S0022172400016624
    http://content.karger.com/produktedb/produkte.asp?typ=fulltext&file=000220416
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=immune%20cross%20reactivity%20in%20celiac%20disease%20anti-gliadin%20antibodies%20bind%20to%20neuronal%20synapsin%20i.&cmd=correctspelling
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12409286?ordinalpos=&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.SmartSearch&linkpos=1&log$=citationsensor
    http://www.nutritionandmetabolism.com/content/3/1/39
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16423158
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/133/9/2973S.long
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1774976/?tool=pubmed
    http://www.jimmunol.org/content/176/4/2512.long
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2886850/?tool=pubmed
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2653457/?tool=pubmed
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21852815
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2323203/?tool=pubmed
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2923621/?tool=pubmed
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1326203/?tool=pubmed
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19332085
    http://disweb.dis.unimelb.edu.au/staff/gwadley/msc/WadleyMartinAgriculture.html
    http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0015213
    http://www.fao.org/docrep/x2184e/x2184e05.htm#ant
    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2036.2005.02506.x/abstract;jsessionid=BCB040A11084442B8198907569C101DE.d03t01
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20136989
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/116/11/2270.full.pdf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1933252/?tool=pmcentrez
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.

Advertisement