Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bench press technique videos (and DL)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

On the bench listen to anyone but me as Im a rubbish bencher.
    My 2 cents for whats its worth on the deadlift and Ill qualify this by saying its what works for me but I find it much easier to if I drop the hips, get lower and get your back more upright nearer 45 degrees because it looked pretty parralell to the floor to me there.
    Theres other more minor tweaks to think about in the future but thats what jumps out at me 1st off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Bench grip seems too close. Also you seem tight/tense. Get a spotter and widen that grip. You should feel more comfortable with that bar perpendicular to your fore arm from the bars lowest point.

On the DL side the poster above is right imo. Hip dependent exercise like. Get your ass nearer to the ground. Use less back in the initial movement. Keep the bar as close you as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

yeah i definitely noticed the back thing when i recorded itm thought itd be nearer 45 degrees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Bench,
    grip too narrow, try index finger on the smooth part.
    you looked uncomfortable lifting the bar initially, slide a couple of inches further up the bench so you're not lifting at such an angle (or spotter to help initial lift)

DL,
    as others said, get ass down lower

index on smooth part is way too wide for me, ive tried it before.

Is forearms parallel to the bar the "rule" or what?

reason its tough to lift off at the start is I saw in a few vidoes that your eyes have to be in front of the bar (on your bellybutton side - not the other side) of the bar...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Is forearms parallel to the bar the "rule" or what?

Think its more to do with the shape of your tricep, chest and back. There's more range in the movement (travel) when your arms are so close. Less leverage like. That's not a good thing and it makes it harder to engage loads of muscles.

Google ''Dave Tate bench''. He the man for learning about bench IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

On the bench it looks like the bar is further forward on the right side of your body, I cant make out why or if its effecting anything but it def seems off. Again its hard to tell but you might benefit from putting something under your feet, like a bench, not permanently but to get the sensation of planting your feet and getting everything engaged. Also you had at least two more reps there :-)

As said on the deadlift, your back is way to low and again its hard to tell but it does look like your back is not in a great position even when you "set". If that is the case you probably need to work on hip mobility and your hamstrings. I know that's the case for me and I still fight the battle on the DL.

jesus, been watching dave tate videos all evening. Hes talking a whole other level of bench pressing than what Ive learnt.

Picked up about 10 different things Ill have to try and do tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

On the bench, i would widen the width of your grip, i would have pinkys on the smooth outer rings. I would also remove the gloves.
    As far as set up, your too loose, you need to plant your feet into the ground, keeping your back arched and shoulders pinned onto the bench. This will help keep you stable and transfer the load through only your shoulders. Flare the lats when lowering the bar, it should feel like your pulling the bar apart.
    Pause at the top of each rep, take a breath, hold it, lower the bar, and breath out on the way up.

look up vids of dave tate!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

is there a reason why your not DLing from the floor?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Squatman wrote: »
    is there a reason why your not DLing from the floor?

Looks like theyre not 450mm plates.

what are 450mm plates?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

what are 450mm plates?

That is the diameter of olympic weight plates

I see.

What is the significance of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

I see.

Puts the bar at the correct height for deadlifts, oly lifts and most lifts from the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I see.

Plates <450mm mean a great range of motion, which makes the lift harder.
    Hanley assumed you were correcting for this by putting it up on smaller plates...

...which appears to not be the case. So why the plates on the bottom?

I see.

I put them there to release a bit of tension from the bottom of my back/pelvis because I put it out of position before. So that extra inch or whatever takes the strain from that part of my back.

Advertisement