Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it possible to search an English marriage cert for free?

• 13-10-2012 10:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

I've found it in the indexes (it's a recent one) but I need to go back from it and find out the woman's parents' names. Her maiden name is Ross but I need her father's name and mother's first name and maiden name!(and where the mother came from if possible!...)
    Is there any way of getting the information for free? I don't want to have to pay a fortune! I'm a member of findmypast.ie but they want a load more € to look at this English record! Argh! Help! Thanks..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

how recent ?

A marriage cert from GRO UK will cost you just over £9, and show father's name, although very recent certs probably show both parents.

Unlikely that any recent English certs are online, Ancestry & FMP had some parish records which show the usual details, but only for much earlier dates.

Shane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

shanew wrote: »
    how recent ?

A marriage cert from GRO UK will cost you just over £9, and show father's name, although very recent certs probably show both parents.

Unlikely that any recent English certs are online, Ancestry & FMP had some parish records which show the usual details, but only for much earlier dates.

Shane

Thanks Shane. It's from 1981. Do you think I could get that?

you should be able to order a cert from here :

GRO UK / Certs on line

all you need are the index references

S.

shanew wrote: »
    you should be able to order a cert from here :

GRO UK / Certs on line

all you need are the index references

S.

Brilliant thanks. Do you think both sets of parents will be listed on a marriage cert of this age?? Thanks

not sure when England started adding both parents to death certs - certainly sooner than we did. I'd say the GRO UK website has details somewhere..

They also started to include date of birth on death certs, possibly around the same time as the parents names.

Of course all the details on a death cert depend on how well the information knew the deceased.

S.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill Shane! You are v. knowledgeable on the subject of genealogy. A great asset to this forum. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Hi Galwaygirlee,

Which part of the UK did the marriage take place??
    Just a suggestion but have you tried the LDS website https://familysearch.org/ which might be of help and it's a free search too, have done a fair bit of my own research using this site.

Happy Hunting
    bijou

Advertisement