Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youth Sailing and Schools

Options
  • 13-10-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We are planning on moving to Ireland summer after next and wanted to come and check out the school system. My daughter is an avid Sailor so we were advised Dún Laoghaire was the place to be. She will be going into the 10th grade here in the US when we relocate. I am going to be working in Dublin, so any advice on navigating the train system would be great.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The dart goes from town to dun laoighre, malahide is the opposite direction but also on the dart line and good for sailing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

There are 3 clubs in Dun Laoghaire that have Junior Sections ( a parent doesn't have to be a member) They offer sailing during the summer months from beginner courses to advanced. They are the Royal Irish Yacht Club (RIYC) the Royal St. George Yacht Club(RSGYC) and the National Yacht club(NYC). There is also one sailing 'school' the INSC formally the INSS. As Ted1 said, the Dart stops in Dun laoghaire. Also Malahide, Howth and Sutton Yacht Clubs offer Junior Section Summer sailing.

I personally prefer sailing in the Dun Laoghaire side of Dublin Bay, but that's just me.

School wise it depends, Fee-paying or not fee paying. There are plenty of great schools in Dublin that are in each category. It all depends where you move to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Of the three sailing clubs in Dun Laoghaire, I personally think the National is the most family friendly (but I sail there so may be biased).

There are some very good schools locally as well, more than happy to help if you need more advice.

Advertisement