Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dieting puting on weight and muscle

• 13-10-2012 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

hi i am a very hard gainer i am 17years old and started lifting weights about 7months ago but i have not been dieting so i want to start i am very skininy can any one give me a diet and how to stay away from junk food because i dont have loads a money to be buying loads of meat really need help with this fell like giving up or should i just stat useing gear liukle every one els

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

eat as much meat as you can. Some of it isnt very expensive.

If youre stuck, go to myprotein and buy whey protein, it does the job of gietting you protein and its pretty cheap.

Then lift really heavy and eat loads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

eggs

eggs are the cheapest form of protein
    learn how to make scrambled egg, ommlettes, poach them and boil them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    eggs are the cheapest form of protein
    Cheapest tesco eggs are 18 for €2.85
    Typical Values Each egg (approx. 55g) contains
    Protein 6.9g
    So that is 6.9x18=124.2g protein . Which is 43.57g for €1, or €22.95 per kilo of protein.

Tesco minced beef 800g, 18.4% protein €3.49 -€23.70 per kilo of protein
    So the eggs are slightly cheaper, a few months ago that mince was a good bit cheaper so would have been less.

Generic branded protein powders are definitely cheaper though, like bulkpowders or myprotein.

Then you would have to argue which is most beneficial.

This is the cheapest protein I found, but probably not as beneficial as others so might not be the best value
    Gram flour: 20.7% protein, GI of only 8, €1.92 per kilo

That works out at €9.27 per kilo of protein

I mix gram flour in with eggs and fry them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

rubadub wrote: »
    Cheapest tesco eggs are 18 for €2.85

So that is 6.9x18=124.2g protein . Which is 43.57g for €1, or €22.95 per kilo of protein.

Tesco minced beef 800g, 18.4% protein €3.49 -€23.70 per kilo of protein
    So the eggs are slightly cheaper, a few months ago that mince was a good bit cheaper so would have been less.

Generic branded protein powders are definitely cheaper though, like bulkpowders or myprotein.

Then you would have to argue which is most beneficial.

This is the cheapest protein I found, but probably not as beneficial as others so might not be the best value
    Gram flour: 20.7% protein, GI of only 8, €1.92 per kilo

That works out at €9.27 per kilo of protein

I mix gram flour in with eggs and fry them.

Sounds delicious :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 188 ✭✭alexsmith

if you are very skinny (an ectomorph) you SHOULD be eating "junk food" and "dirty foods" to gain weight.

your body doesnt know the difference between rice and cereal,only the macro nutrients matter.i would suggest eating what you want but have high quality macronutrients which are micronutrient dense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

alexsmith wrote: »
    if you are very skinny (an ectomorph) you SHOULD be eating "junk food" and "dirty foods" to gain weight.

your body doesnt know the difference between rice and cereal,only the macro nutrients matter.i would suggest eating what you want but have high quality macronutrients which are micronutrient dense.

Why would anyone in their right mind eat empty crap calories?

If its calories your after could buy a large economy sized bag of oats and have several servings over the day. Load up on good fats, butter, olive oil, coconut oil (cheap in oriental stores). Coconut milk and cream also has loads of calories.

Beans and brown rice together is a cheap meal high in protein.

Crap calories = crap training

siochain wrote: »

If its calories your after could buy a large economy sized bag of oats and have several servings over the day. Load up on good fats, butter, olive oil, coconut oil (cheap in oriental stores). Coconut milk and cream also has loads of calories.

Beans and brown rice together is a cheap meal high in protein.

Crap calories = crap training

your body recognises nutrients not foods.

no such thing as crap calories and crap foods.the way i describe them is by their nutrient value.look up flexible dieting/iifym

also beans and rice wouldnt be the best meal for protein.

alexsmith wrote: »

your body recognises nutrients not foods.

no such thing as crap calories and crap foods.the way i describe them is by their nutrient value.look up flexible dieting/iifym

also beans and rice wouldnt be the best meal for protein.

What ever way you want to phase the source of our calories, crap food, crap nutriton, dirty food, junk food they will equal crap training.

Beans and brown rice together form a complete protein hence it's a cheap way to add additional calories that will help training.

Having a refeed day is on a diet is one thing but the op is not looking loose weight.

What ever way you want to phase the source of our calories, crap food, crap nutriton, dirty food, junk food they will equal crap training.

Beans and brown rice together form a complete protein hence it's a cheap way to add additional calories that will help training.

Having a refeed day is on a diet is one thing but the op is not looking loose weight.

your still not making any sense.if he cant gain weight,its because hes not eating enough for his metabolism.he cant eat all these "healthy" foods because 1 they are more expensive and 2,they contain more fibre,micronutrients,phytonutrients etc that will keep you full.he should be eating cereal,burgers,nutella,olive oil and butter on all his food to gain weight,food he likes!!.

crap training comes from not having an adequate diet from all sources.rice,cereal and sweets are the exact same,it all gets broken down into glucose at the end of the day anyway.if his diet is 10% protein thats what i would call a poor diet,its the overall picture im trying to get at

alexsmith wrote:

no such thing as crap calories and crap foods..

This is a lost cause.

Op
    It's true you could go for a quick win and eat loads of sugar laden junk. You may gain weight quickly but more than likely around your abdominal area. Feel pretty crap from the sugar hit roller ride, empty calories lead to more empty calories. Then come back here in a while asking how can I loose weight around my mid section.

Or you could take a healthily but slower route, incorporate loads of additional calories from healthy sources (this can be done cheaply) such as what's mentioned above. Find a good coach to teach the big lifts and follow a program like wendler. See how your body responds and enjoy the journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,178 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Because they're delicious and they're calories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

This is a lost cause.

Op
    It's true you could go for a quick win and eat loads of sugar laden junk. You may gain weight quickly but more than likely around your abdominal area. Feel pretty crap from the sugar hit roller ride, empty calories lead to more empty calories. Then come back here in a while asking how can I loose weight around my mid section.

Or you could take a healthily but slower route, incorporate loads of additional calories from healthy sources (this can be done cheaply) such as what's mentioned above. Find a good coach to teach the big lifts and follow a program like wendler. See how your body responds and enjoy the journey.

Why are going on about sugar? Nobody mentioned high sugary food?
    There is a time when a sugar spike is beneficial, but nobody was getting into that detail. The previous poster mention "dirty foods. I would assume he meant food like burgers, pizza, meat, butter, oils etc. High calorie foods that have the macros he needs. Not sweets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭rocky

This needs a rehash:

500x_so-you-dropped-your-food-on-the-floor-do-you-eat--31945-1286204712-8.jpg

Advertisement