Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

11 day old with wind problems

Options
  • 13-10-2012 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

We have an 11 day old girl who is great during the day, sleeps well, feeds well but at night as soon as we put her down in her cot it's a disaster!!
    She lays there for a few minutes and then she will grunt and groan a little then she starts kicking her legs wildly. She seems to be suffering from trapped wind and she kicks her blankets down the bottom of the bed and just won't settle.
    Same pattern every night.

We have tried the following ;

Infacol, colief
    Winding her, burping her after and during each feed (breastfeeding)
    Making sure she is not horizontal while bf'ing
    Inclining her cot slightly
    Tummy massage with baby oil
    Swaddling
    Using baba-sling

None of these worked and we are getting no sleep at night

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Congrats on your little girl...
    Mine were bottlefed so I know it's a different ball game but that exactly explains my kids too.I bet there is an improve after either 2 or 4am)
    All I can saw is that there was a huge improvement at 6weeks. I'm so sorry if that seems like no help to you.
    I found colief was better than infacol
    Also try foot massage sound weird but I do think there is something in reflexology.
    Friend s of mine took their kids for craniosacral massage and they swear by it. We did not as iit improved after 6wks
    Best of luck

After 3wks we used grobags as it was coming into autumn,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Welcome to life as a parent all of this is completely normal due to immature digestive system, your doing everything right so keep going with it and it will eventually get better.....sleep when baby sleeps Feck the housework and who cares what you look like :) lots if winding till your arms wants to fall off and then keep going :) it will get better but its very very early days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

I found cooled boiled water great for wind. Just a few mouthfuls did the job for me :) My PHN recommended the water. Might be worth a try!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Practice the winding. You can do it for ages, but if you're not doing it properly it is pointless.

You need to hold baby in a standing position so that there is a clear passage from stomach to mouth. Spine straight, chin up. It doesn't need loads of rubbing and patting, just get the angles right and there will be almighty burps.

Our midwife did it and we were shocked at how effective she was. Practice, practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Would you maybe cut out dairy and see if that helps? Try to have baby's legs as straight as possible when you are winding so over the shoulder is often best. The water is good.

Congrats by the way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Julo12

It can be so hard to wind them when they're tiny I think sometimes the wind can build up over the course of the day - try to wind as much as possible after each feed, hard when they fall asleep tho I know!
    It's prob too soon to notice if it's any particular food but try keep an eye if there may be something making it worse eg spicy food.
    Drinking fennel tea is supposed to help too.
    If nothing helps I found gripe water great as a last resort a couple of times. Can get it from amazon.
    And this will pass before you know it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Are you sure it's not just the blankets? Our fella hated them unless he was swaddled up like a sausage roll, then he slept like a log.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Lisha wrote: »
    C
    Friend s of mine took their kids for craniosacral massage and they swear by it.

+1 for cranial osteopathy.. worked wonders for my Son, he had the worst case of colic I had ever seen..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000978.htm

OP have a read of this, its to do with colic....your baby is too young to have this really and it is probably due to a immature digestive system..my baby was like this too but he didnt have colic, however if you do feel worried go to your phn and get baby checked out

I also found winding in different ways helped, rubbing back while sitting up, lying over my leg and rubbing back, bicycle movements with legs..you baby will grow out of it, but it takes time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

dahamsta wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not just the blankets? Our fella hated them unless he was swaddled up like a sausage roll, then he slept like a log.

Could it be this ^ ?

Our little guy (4 weeks) goes bananas if his arms are under a blanket or swaddled, kicks, screams and complains. Luckily we has always planned to use baby sleeping/gro bags, which leave his arms free. If we're worried about him getting cold we put the blankets over him from his chest down - under his arms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

My PHN suggested putting babs on her tummy for one minute up to ten times a day - apparently prevents wind build up throughout the day. We do it everytime we change her ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Glowing wrote: »
    My PHN suggested putting babs on her tummy for one minute up to ten times a day - apparently prevents wind build up throughout the day. We do it everytime we change her ...

Also found this good for getting up wind. Although mine was bottlefed and ended up being colic. I ended up getting gripe water online when she was 4 weeks old and found this great.
    We also have a bouncer with calming vibrations found this great in the early days.
    My OH was convinced walking up and down the stairs helped. (probably all the moving around)
    As alot of others suggested could be the blankets. My MIL was always trying to swaddle her and she hated it. Likes to have her arms free. Even now at nearly 6 months she hates being bulked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

After using infacol, dentinox drops, colief - everything I could think of for my windy newborn I tried gripe water and it worked a treat. She was like a new baby. Also found that putting her across my knees helped get the wind up. I would put her belly down on my knees so there was a pressure to her tummy that helped get her wind up. It's so hard but it does ease with time. Congrats on your newborn x

Advertisement