Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question regarding politics forum

Options
  • 13-10-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭

Is this a new thing?

The following was posted in a thread.

This is not political discussion, but mere repetition of personal opinion. And repetitive repetition at that. If you've nothing to add bar "I hate candidate X. Really, I think he's awful. Did I tell you how little I think of him? I think he's awful.", please don't bother to post.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

Isn't all political discussion a personal opinion?
    Could someone clarify is there a set of times a point can be expressed?
    Are negative posts about particular candidates not allowed now?

thanks

20Cent
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Discussion doesn't really happen without constructive ideas. Take for example a customer who tells me "I hate Dell". Ok, why do you not like Dell? "I just don't like Dell." Did you get a bad Dell computer? Have you ever owned one? "No, I just don't like Dell." Is it the logo, the look, the quality, the namesake, the reputation, the company motto, did your friend just tell you Dell was stupid and that's what you're basing this decision off of? "I just don't like Dell."

Perhaps this is an extreme example, but the idea is such that you need to be able to support your opinions with reasonable arguments. Otherwise you're talking to a wall, and in effect everyone is just kinda rambling to themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

OP, if this rule were not enforced, we'd end up with the type of rampant negative soapboxing-clouded by poorly referenced, and often incorrect personal opinion that characterised After Hours for quite a while.

The likes of P.ie take a totally different tack-and while there are some absolute gems there, there's a lot of utter rubbish also. The Politics moderation has evolved, and improved immensely over the last couple of years, and I think they get the balance pretty much spot on.

Advertisement